Clear bumper light / lenses? | FerrariChat

Clear bumper light / lenses?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by dailyferraridriver, Jan 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #1 dailyferraridriver, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone know if they make clear front bumper light / lenses? The one color California I'm looking at - the orange clashes and it looks out of place - really hope there is a solution.

I've searched but can't seem to find anything...

Thanks,
    Erik

EDIT: I'm talking about this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    any good paint shop can "smoke" the lens to match the body color.

3. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #3 dailyferraridriver, Jan 24, 2015
    The car is yellow - hence the issue - orange lens on yellow car...ugh, kinda ugly. I used the black as an example of what I was talking about.

Erik

4. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Ask Novitec Rosso

5. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks! Will do.

Erik

6. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    As much as it might clash, cars in the USA are required to have the amber side marker light (with the red one near the rear bumper) as per Federal law (Code of Federal Regulations, CFR Title 49, Section 571.108; Tables III and IV if you pull up the section. The section is exceptionally obtuse, so it makes a good insomnia cure). They are referred to as side marker lamps in the CFR.

There are also reflectors either built in, or adjacent to, the side marker lamps. Those are also required to be amber front, red back (same sections and tables). You might conceivably install a clear cover, but the light, when illuminated, has to have the same color and brightness as the OEM one. The reflector still needs to be amber/red, also.

Most states have companion laws that are consistent with the federal standards, so your fix-it ticket would come from the local cops or DMV if someone notices and decides to take action. The most compelling reason to leave it as it, though, is if you get into a collision and the insurance company notices non-standard lighting and reflectors...

7. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    #7 photonut, Jan 25, 2015
    while the above is true, i believe the law may be one of those that is rarely enforced.
    i have had the vehicle side markers on most of my vehicles repainted, going back for 8 years.
    no policeman has ever questioned me over this issue (i have homes in michigan and florida).
    the bump shop that painted my side markers has done this for many of its customers and has never been asked to strip the paint off.
    even though the lens is amber, it can be repainted almost any color.
    this photo shows my macan, with its painted side marker.

8. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This is exactly what I am looking for. Sold everyday for thousands of different vehicles on Ebay from China with a fake DOT stamped on them. I have no problem with them lighting up orange, just don't like the orange on the yellow paint.

Thanks,
    Erik

9. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Go for the Novitecs, they are black but light up like original.

10. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    when you paint over the lens, the light is still visible, but approximately 1/2 to 1/3 the original brightness.

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yet another option is to lay a film of your desired color over the offending lens. This is both cheap and easily removable if you need to go through inspection.

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I replaced the yellow lenses on my old 911 with clear and it worked just fine. The clear ones had yellow bulbs, so when the markers were on they still looked yellow. Doesn't anyone do something like this for the California?

13. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That's what I'm trying to find. They make them for the F355 as well.

Thanks,
    Erik