2010 battery replacement | FerrariChat

2010 battery replacement

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by zarama, Jan 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Well after years and years of lurking finally took the plunge and got a F-car. 2010 Rossa Corsa with black leather very nicely optioned out. The car still has it original battery so I decided to order a brand new AGM Odyssey battery. I just noticed that to install it I need to remove the air-box hoses but really don't see any way to get the hose clamps off. Are they not reusable clamps? Do i need to cut them off? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. av35

av35 Rookie

Oct 7, 2004
    Anyone? Need to replace my battery as well, but stuck on removing the hose clamps. Would like to get this solved ASAP.

Thanks!

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My Cali30 needs an AGM battery but it is there because my car has the HELE (STOP/START) option. HELE cars cannot use regular starter batteries. AFAIK, the regular Calis use a standard lead acid battery and do not need the AGM features.

AGM batteries require a higher charging voltage than regular starter batteries and I am not sure if the non-HELE car charging systems are set up to charge it properly. If they are not then your AGM replacement battery may well fail prematurely. In addition, the regular battery tender that comes with the standard Calis will not fully recharge an AGM battery. This was impressed upon me by Odyssey tech support.

I would just get the correct size regular starter battery with equal or better CCA ratings than the original unit. Interstate, Bosch, Varta, Odyssey, ...etc all make suitable replacements.

4. av35

av35 Rookie

Oct 7, 2004
    Anyone on removing the hose clamps w/o damaging them?

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the info you got is correct... also AGM batteries are designed to be used constantly and used hard, they are a good design and deliver, their weakness is they CANNOT be left in a discharged or undercharged condition... used for a daily driver with a proper charging sytem they are great... under used they will fail early and is a waste of the premium paid for them... a standard wet cell is more forgiving when left under charged and can be brought back easier from extend period of discharge

don't be fooled by CCA rating alone, it is meaningless other than for starting purposes... it is a burst rating ( measured in seconds ) to start a car and has nothing to do with delivering small amounts of power over time, this rating is known as reserve capacity... it's about the internal construction... if the battery goes flat between drives consider replacing it with a RV or marine battery... these will power the various devices ( alarms, memory etc ) for a much longer time before going flat and still be able to start... select these batteries by group size or physical size, then compare the reserve capacities vs a std staring battery... it is best to use a battery maintainer for occasionally used cars, given enough time any battery can be drained flat...

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's a good point about reserve capacity. However, up here we're particularly sensitive to CCA ratings because of our long winters. At the moment, it's -19°C/-2°F and this has been the norm over the last 45 days or so with no end in sight. It's always better to use a battery with higher reserve capacity but usually we're just happy to have the engine turn over and start. :)

I keep my car plugged into the battery tender 24/7 when the car is not used. Batteries last much longer when kept topped up.

7. av35

av35 Rookie

Oct 7, 2004
    #7 av35, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    UPDATE ON BATTERY REPLACEMENT: Replacement of the factory battery is straightforward, taking around an hr in total. The clamps on the air hoses *can* be replaced but 100% reusable. Simply insert thin screwdriver at an angle to split clamps, disconnect MAF and remove hoses. Remove top bracket holding battery in place, 2 additional bolts found near bottom edge of unit. Follow same steps in opposite order to reassemble, pressing clamps back into place w/ dykes.

NOTES: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START CAR W/O AIR HOSES & MAF BEING CONNECTED - THIS WILL THROW CODES. Simple socket set, extension, dykes, thin screw driver needed for job. Removing intake hose clamps may take force to manipulate them loose. Highly recommended DIY, total cost around $200 including factory Interstate battery.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

8. agustinush777

agustinush777 Rookie

Aug 29, 2014
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    AG

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO. I'M REPLACING MINE SOON.

9. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my 2010 Cali needs a new battery and I'm up for this DiY. Just have a couple questions:
    - which model interstate battery should I get? I want to have it before I start.
    - do you keep the trickle charger plugged in while making the swap? Or do you put a trickle charger across battery terminal cables while making the swap (done this on other cars so don't lose presets, radio codes, etc)
    - what is relearn process for a Cali?
    - are any codes throw that require a subsequent trip to the dealer after changing battery?
    - are the clamps hard to reuse? Should I order a pair first?

Thanks!

glob1971 likes this.