2010 vs. 2014 California | FerrariChat

2010 vs. 2014 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by modena35, Feb 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modena35

modena35 Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    Happy Super Bowl Sunday....I am not that familiar on the technical aspects and exterior detail differences between the 2010 and 14 Californias. Looking for some detail on the differences so I can make a choice....do the differences justify an extra 60-70k?

2. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    In terms of the 2014 car it depends on whether you mean a late California 30 or the new California T. There's a massive difference between the 30 and the T not just the fact that the latter is turbo charged. All new body panels and completely different in performance. No real change in exterior details between 2010 and Cali 30 but tweaks to steering, handling. Lighter by 30 kg and 30 bhp more power. I'm sure others will be along who are more knowledgable than me on the differences and shed more enlightenment

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Three hours til kick-off could be usefully spent looking thro' this section for similar threads

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    A thumbnail of the models and years...

2010-2012 - first gen model with 462 hp or thereabouts. Early versions had reputed transmissions issues, later ones not so much. The 2012 is the first year Ferrari attached 7 years of service with the purchase transferable

2013-2014 - The California 30, 30 more hp, 30 kg less weight. Car is a little faster with more torque, nominal exterior or interior changes

2015 - the California T - moved away from naturally aspirated engines (with the class Ferrari sound) to a twin turbo. 560 hp or thereabout with much better low end torque. Great car, not as much Ferrari cool sound, excellent acceleration. Some mods to the outside to lower the butt, make the exhaust horizontal instead of vertical, and mini- F-12 like headlight assembly and some other mods to the skin. Some new colors added to the palette also (all at higher cost).

5. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    if you purchase an older vehicle, consider the yearly cost of the extended warranty (assuming you plan to add this).
    getting a '14 under warranty will save you two years of warranty fees.

6. CP Shrl

CP Shrl Karting

Feb 27, 2014
    Dallas/Dubai

Two year warranty add on = 9,900. I do not believe that includes the inspection (roughly 450ish).

I have owned a 2013 california and driven a friends 2010 a few times. Quite honestly the boost in power/weight savings to me were not noticeable. I however was utilizing it to putter around town in; not sure if you drive it more aggressively.

I quite honestly would go with an older model, massive savings and tack on the +2 warranty as part of the negotiation.

Dealers are flooded with them it seems due to the cali t deliveries coming in. Truly is a buyers market on this one.

[email protected] likes this.
  7. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is - especially if you are open to color options. There are tons of Cali's for sale right now.

Erik

8. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    I completely agree. If you want to get into a Cali now, the 2010 and 2011s are out there by the truckload. You can find a really nice one with low miles for a great price. I've heard that dealers are actually negotiating on them more than ever now. I would definitely try to buy from a Ferrari dealer and buy the warranty. I have had both a 2010 and a 2014 and they really are quite simliar. The 2014 30 with the handling package was what I had until I sold it and ordered my 2015. The prices on the 2014s seem to be staying up there right around the 200K range. I actually was able to sell mine for only 5K less than I bought it for a year later. I DO love the free maintenance and the warranty, but 70K is a HUGE difference and probably not worth it. Good luck!

9. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    As an example there is one in Chicago that is black on tan with ALL the extras and only 6K miles for 158K or best offer. You could probably get it in the 150 range. There is one in San Fran that is listed for 149 or best offer. 13K miles, lots of extras as well. There's another in Pennsylvania that has only 5K miles on it. 236K sticker, which means it has some nice extras on it, but not loaded. This one is 139K or best offer. My dealer in Beverly Hills has a really nice black on black with 11K miles on it that is going for 159K. It comes iwth the following:

*20" diamond finish sport wheels,
    *Magneride suspension,
    *red brake calipers,
    *Scuderia shields,
    *diamond-stitched seats and door panels,
    *full electric seats,
    *thick red stitching,
    *red tachometer,
    *carbon fiber steering wheel with LEDs,
    *iPod connection,
    *satellite radio

Not bad. I've actually driven this car and it is really clean and really tight. Feels brand new. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but just wanted to let you know there are lots of them out there.

10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just finished with a test drive of the new California T and the big difference I saw in addition to those mentioned is the consolidation of everything onto the steering wheel...like the 458

11. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah, it's a personal preference - but will be on all new F Cars moving forward anyway...

Erik