Going from Cali 30 to a 458 Spider | FerrariChat

Going from Cali 30 to a 458 Spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Ron4pro, Mar 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    #1 Ron4pro, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With mixed emotions, I just traded in my 2014 Cali 30 in for 2014 458 Spider. Thanks to all the folks in the forum for giving me great advice and welcoming to the Ferrari brand. Ferrari's marketing has worked as I was one of the 70% new to the brand via the California and moving further into the brand by being a repeat buyer.

If anyone is looking for an awesome Cali 30, Scottsdale Ferrari is selling mine at a pretty good price and it is mint condition. I posted pictures of my old Cali and my new 458.

As far as driving impressions, here are a few things that surprised me.

1) Only the Cali has the gunshot sound when switching gears which is unique and totally awesome. The 458 is probably louder, but the Cali 30 has a very unique sound.

2)The 458 spider is actually every bit as comfortable as the Cali in terms of a daily driver. No issues with speed bumps or curves. When you want it to be docile, it can be every bit as easy as the Cali

3)Since I drove the Cali T and the 458 spider, I felt that while the Cali T pulls very hard, the Spider is still on a different level. The pull is definitely more noticeable in the 458 spider.

4)The Cali is way more roomier from driver's cockpit point of view. For instance, the footwell is much more roomier and more comfortable. Thats kinda important when you are GT cruising. I know that Keith was looking at 458 before switching to the T but backed out because he sat too high, getting the race seats is the key. First of all they are very comfortable seats, 2) they can be lowered much lower than any of the standard or powered seats 3) you save 40lbs per seat over powered seat.

5)My Cali 30 Hi Fi Stereo and 458 Spider standard stereo both suck. But NO 458 does streaming Audio....What!?!

6) I officially lost my MSA by switching from my Nero to my Bianco Avus...bummer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Congrats! FYI, I did try with the racing seats on the lowest position but alas I still didn't fit. :( Sometimes being tall isn't all it's cracked up to be, haha!

Best of luck in the new car!!!

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Beautiful 458 - I am still not 100% sure on what would fit me best as a DD cruiser around the city. Cali T or a 458 Spider - I would keep the FF and just add.

4. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    pretty 458...just sold my '13 bianco fuji spider....for an F12...you are right there is more room in the Cal....but I will tell you we did a rally from PHX to Santa Fe in 458s and it was very comfortable and I did not have racing seats, just standard with a diamond pattern...personally, i like the sounds of the 458 better than the Cal, but it's a higher revving engine...enjoy it

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I made the switch too. 2010 Nero cali to custom ordered 2014 titanio spider. Both great daily drivers. Spider feels more like a go kart. I like the cab forward seating. I like the targa feel of the Spider. My cuoio rear seats in cali were constantly dirty since I did a lot of top down driving. I find I do less top down driving in spider as I often lower the rear window to listen to the engine. Still about 50% of time top down. Cali easier to get in and out. I have standard seats in spider and I feel like I'm sitting really low. 5'10".

6. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had the exact same Cali 30 before selling it to order my "T". It's an amazing car. Mine was black black just as your's is. I can honestly say that if there is anyone out there looking to get into the F car world, that Cali 30 is a really amazing car. And at a GREAT price. Good luck with the sale. The 458 is awesome. Unfortunately at 6.5", it's a no go for me!

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Miss the gunshot staccato with the cali but love the high pitched wail of the Spider.