Wobbly OEM 22mm wheel bolt socket | FerrariChat

Wobbly OEM 22mm wheel bolt socket

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by abstamaria, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #1 abstamaria, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i posted this query in the technical section, but this may be a more appropriate forum. Perhaps one of you can help?

Because the original jack that comes with the Dino (246GT) has become very valuable and actually doesn't work very well, I bought off eBay a jack set for a California. This is a fabulous kit with a scissors jack and a 22mm socket for the lug bolts. The 246GT also uses a 22mm lug bolt socket.

The California's 22mm socket wobbles on the 246's lug bolts (and also on my 458's lug bolts, which use a 22mm socket, too). It has a flank-drive design, as seen from the photo, so this may account for the wobble. Is that normal? I worry about the rounding the lug bolt corners!

Snap-on also has flank drive, but the wobble isn't as pronounced as with the Ferrari issued socket (which is like new). Should I worry?

Many thanks,

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Get a Hill Engineering chrome saver socket from Ricambi and you will not have to worry about it.

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Terry. I have a similar socket in the shop, but wanted to carry the Ferrari-supplied socket in the Dino. I read the Hill Engineering description of their socket, which emphasises the flank drive. I wonder whether the "wobble" results from the design of the Ferrari socket, which has an unusually pronounced flank drive (probably intended to protect the wheel bolt).

Andy

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I doubt they are supposed to wobble. Flank drives are supposed to grip better and have less chance of rounding the corners because they grip the flats instead of the corners. See pic below. Maybe you have a defective socket or the wrong size?

[​IMG]

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Need4Spd. I do have Snap-On flank drive sets in the workshop. Looking at the photo I posted, I note the really wide gaps in the Ferrari item and the pronounced drive points. It does seem designed to avoid marring the corners of the lug bolt. I just haven't seen anything like it.

Since the socket is from a California jack kit, I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the loose fit (until force is exerted on the socket).

I should really look at the socket on my 458. It might be the same design.

Andy