Life savings on a used California | FerrariChat

Life savings on a used California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by sugufish, Mar 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sugufish

sugufish Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    K
    Dear all,

I've been lurking around this site for some time and have finally decided to dump my life savings into my 1st Ferrari. A used 2009 Ferrari California. As a Malaysian, it cost an arm and leg to purchase a car like this due to our ridiculous car duty structure.

Are there anything I have to watch out for prior to purchase this car? I've been reading about potential transmission and hard top problems. Is this really something to worry about. Also, for additional USD53,000 (approximately) I can get a 2011 California. Is it worth getting a newer car for that amount of money as I am already stretching my budget on this car.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Would a slightly less expensive car stretch you less and give you as much satisfaction ?

If you are stretched make sure you get a good warranty so its one less thing to worry about as it would be a shame to have it and then not use it

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 noone1, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Someone ban him for his own good, unless he's just trolling, in which case ban him for it in general.

OP, unless you're 22 years old, you can't afford this car. I'd hope you realize that you aren't getting anything close to your money's worth out of this. A large chunk of money will go up in smoke in taxes. What a waste.

I know it's the dream of a lot of people to own exotic, but trust me, it's overrated. You'll be over it in a month. The people who enjoy them the most are only able to do so because the cost isn't a big deal. You don't see so many people on here buying Bugattis and Zondas just because they can cut the check.

4. sugufish

sugufish Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    K
    Point noted. The less expensive car is actually from the local Ferrari dealer which will definitely give better warranty. But its 2 years older too.

5. sugufish

sugufish Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    K
    Maybe my last post before I get banned. Haha.

But what you say is absolutely true. I totally agrees with it. A large chunk of the money will definitely goes up in taxes. But that is why I'm selecting a slightly older car over a newer one as our Malaysian duty structure hits rock bottom after 5 years (though still very high).

I'm just worried about maintenance on an older Ferrari. Maybe I'm just stingy.

And you are right about me being 22 years old..... 15 years ago. Haha.

6. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014

Rent one and Buy a Porsche 997 and it will hold its value way better + it wont have parts in side the car used on a Fiat and or a Chrysler Minivan.

7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow, what a bunch of pessimists. If you can find the cash, do it. There is virtually never a right time and every year the roads get fuller and you get a little older. Go for it and the big question would be does the 2011 car have the seven year servicing package?

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You did read the part where he said he's 37 years old and this would be his entire life savings, which based on 2009 California prices is probably like $250-300K, right?

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Since you are going to spend your life savings then you better consider the purchase as an investment.

Personally I wouldn't spend so much of my net worth on a car.

What is your return on the car if you sell it in year or two?

How much of a loss given the high taxes and fees?

Now if you bought something else, real estate or a small business, could you make more and then use that profit to buy a nice car?

10. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Use your money on Apple stock, they go up and down 20% every few months. 2 years of this and u got the money for your Cali.

That's what I do.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Here is my question..if you buy one now, put 10.000kms on it and sell in a year, how much will you get back? 80%? 50%?

If you get 80% or so, why not do it for a year, so you scratch that itch.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm assuming your heart is set on the Cali, there are some pretty good deals to be had with well-maintained 360's, 599s, 612s...

Again, I'm sure you've considered those too...but might be a good 'compromise' where you get a lot of the Ferrari thrills/experience, but still have some money in the bank

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    We could be dead tomorrow so live for today. I put every penny into my first Ferrari, sold my house to have enough for a new 512 with enough left over to insure it back in the day and never regretted it. Helped I found a girlfriend with a house and garage.

14. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    You could buy one in Europe they are practically free at this exchange rate. With the massive savings you can store it in a nice driving region and fly in for trips... Or better yet get an 458 and still save huge $. 458 are around $150k USD

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Wow! 150K what country is the best place to buy?

thanks

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I say if you want it bad enough then get it . Although with the 5 year tax issues maybe it would be better to get an older car like a 550 or 575 . But I have owned a couple of californias and they are great cars just get a warranty if you can and enjoy somehow the money will be replaced but if you really have your heart set on a certain car like most of us on this website go for it...

best of luck

17. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES

+1 Absolutely agree….

Car never be a good investment always depreciate in value since you are very 37 years old then invest your money to some investment that will make you more money so enjoy your live when you are 40 years old…. "Live begins at 40"…..

2009 - 2011 California always have a transmission and roof problem so if you want to get California, I would recommend to get California 2012 up.

18. CP Shrl

CP Shrl Karting

Feb 27, 2014
    Dallas/Dubai
    If you live in Malaysia at 35+ years old and have a decent amount of cash saved up why not take an even more brave move and invest in yourself?

Why not take a small portion of those funds and get out of Malaysia, head to Melbourne get a MBA... Work out of Aus or emerging SE Asian markets.

Money is truly the only renewable resource on this planet. Hope you think outside of the box a bit and figure out your situation! The question isn't how can I afford a Ferrari... Its how can I change my path so I never have to question if I can afford anything again.

19. sugufish

sugufish Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    K
    If there is a "LIKE" button I would press it for so many replies above. Thanks all.

Life savings in our culture means "money in the bank and under the bed" only. Not including tangible assets. Thank you for some very concerning members advising me not to spend everything on the Cali. Makes sense but that does not include all the properties I'm currently owning so I should be all right.

For those of you interested in knowing Malaysia's car pricing, the base California T brand new is about USD550,000.00. I have 2 young daughters so am looking for a 4 seater Ferrari to replace my current Audi R8.

My main concern is how much problem a 2009 model will give me compared to a 2011 as there is a big price difference between the 2 cars. I am from the East (Borneo island) so if anything goes wrong, I need to fly the mechanics in from West Malaysia (with their tools) and rent a workshop just to service the car.

20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    A little off topic....
    But the USD 550,000.00 quote is in a way what I (or for that matter many US purchasers) will be paying for their new Cali T, when you factor in fed & state personal taxes... lol

Never really dawned on me until last year when times got a little rough and spending needed to be monitored. My god I never really realized I pay about 50% of my earnings in taxes and then some when you consider sales tax... wow.

OP, I owned a '10 Cali , loved it, nothing like it, I had owned a few porsches, no comparison. That said I was always worried about a few items that were noted to fail. Would have been very costly so for 2 of the years I owned it I purchased a costly extended warranty. I do not think you will have that option or that it will help you that much. So imo tread carefully, I would say if possible consider a newer model, the newer the better , I think.
    Good luck, we only live once...

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually, I would consider moving to live and work someplace else first.

If a Ferrari means a whole lot to you and where you live cannot make it practical to own one I would simply pull up roots and move. You need to direct your available energies towards solutions that you can make happen. No sense consuming your energies on a system that heavily penalizes you for wanting to get ahead.

There are hundreds of millions of people in the world living in places where it's either not healthy or not suitable for them to thrive. Most have no choice but to stay but for those who understand their predicament and can move, they should move because they will otherwise regret not having made that choice when they could have. You cannot fight "city hall" on such matters. If your country makes itself unwelcoming for a person to pursue his justifiable personal passions, he should seek welcome somewhere else.

I grew up in Hong Kong, arguably one of the best places in the world to be a kid in... during earlier times. But times have changed dramatically since then and I would not be realizing my dreams if I were still in HK today.

FWIW, I also sank all my extra cash on my first BMW when I was young and I never regretted it because the BMWs of those times exemplified the quality of workmanship and passion I felt necessary to possess in life. It helped me move ahead because I would not settle for less. For many car guys, a car is really more than just a car - it's their statement about life. ;) Good luck pursuing your Ferrari passion!

22. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    very nicely put.

Relocation is sometimes hard (impossible?) for many reasons, but the idea you present is worth deep consideration

23. sugufish

sugufish Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    K
    Definitely thinking about relocation within the next few years. By then the problem will not be the affordability of a Ferrari. Problem will be affording a garage big enough to fit a couple of them inside. Lol

I can't seem to add an avatar to my profile. How do i do it.

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    True. Sometimes a person has to make difficult choices and compromise or bide his time. The important thing is to keep faith with your personal passion in life and find a way.

25. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your avatar simply has to match the maximum size requirements of "80 by 80 pixels or 39.1 KB (whichever is smaller). ". This site does not accept animated GIF files for avatars.

Go up to the menu bar, click on "UserCP" for the control panels, select Edit Avatar from the left panel and activate the "Use Custom Avatar" radio button. Have your avatar file ready then click "Browse..." to upload.

As for your impending parking garage problem, you could consider a lift but do make sure you check out the available lifts BEFORE you buy the house. :)