Taking the leap! | FerrariChat

Taking the leap!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Eric R, Mar 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    After several months on here searching and asking questions I have finally decided that I want a California. Was really looking hard at the 599 but I want open air more than the top line performance. Once I made that decision my wife and I looked at the F430 and 360 spiders too. The 360 was passed over for the F430 just on looks and feel inside each. Then we checked out the Cali and was in love. A 2010 fits into my budget just right, has the plush interior that we were both after and is a really quick car.

That said, is there a good list of items I need to check in addition to the PPI? I know over on the F430 forum they said make sure to get both keys and the card, check the tie rods and exhaust manifolds. I cannot find a list of issues for the Cali here but would like to know of any pitfalls to check out ahead of time.

And for those of you in the Houston area don't be surprised if I wave all the time. Its a Corvette thing I can't ever get out of my blood.

Thanks!

2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    watch out cause 2009/10 had some DCT problems.

3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Thank you Marmist! I am honored to have you provide guidance. Can you provide insight? Please be aware it is because of you that I am shunning the white ones. Although you probably don't like the blue one I have my eye on either.

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Eric, please have Marmist provide you with MSA approved colors to ensure the likely hood of your car being able to operate correctly.

5. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
  6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I am not feeling the love. Why no blue? I can understand white.

I have done some research on here and have an understanding that '10 and '11 are the ones that had several DTC issues where the whole tranny had to be rebuilt ($15k bust) or replaced ($30k bust). Cannot find the extent of the issues or if it was just a couple of people affected. There have been a few that reported stalling or engine shutting off. Not a lot on this but a couple so I not too concerned. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Ok, found a thread about the tops not working and being a PIA to resolve. Interestingly it was on a 2010. I am starting to get the picture to avoid the 2010 at all costs. Would everyone here agree that 2012 and up would be in my best interest? I would rather spend a little more money and have no issues that trying to get something at an attractive price. Think I just answered my own question.

8. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Neither am I feeling the black.

Anyway, avoid '09s and '10s. Transmission and gearbox problems since the DCT was young. Tops problems were not infrequent. Some leaks and minor problems. Basically the Cali was a first time ever.

First lesson : never ever buy a NEW car in his first 3 years of production. Let the house learn first.

SECOND : from 2012 the Cali30 came out, more hp, less weight, better calibration of engine and gearbox, a better car overall. Also with more trustable gear and trans. ALSO from 2012 started the 7 years Ferrari ordinary maintenance program, which is not to be thrown away.

Definitely cars from 2012 are more expensive, but u dont wanna run into the problems of the first.

ELSE you can buy a 2010 demanding a BIG discount and then have the dealer give you a warranty covering everything possible. Warranty to be renewed every year, ofc.

One has to be really not smart to buy a Ferrari with no warranty. Or so full of money that he definitely wouldnt come here asking for suggestions.

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    also, PPI

10. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    get a lo mileage car less than 3 years old.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There were a few DCT problems with the earlier cars, I think traced to an electronic module inside the transmission that was not as robust as needed. Early on, Getrag was not allowing servicing but required replacement of the entire transmission. They now allow Ferrari techs to swap out the module (if that's the problem), so going forward, it's not the huge issue it once was.

It is true the earlier cars had some top issues, but mostly this was '09 and '10. '11s and up seem fine.

The California "30" was introduced in 2012 but in the U.S. as a 2013 model. So there really isn't that much advantage getting a '12 over an '11 in the U.S. The "30" is a significant upgrade so if you can afford it, get at '13 or newer instead.

As for colors, it seems there aren't as many red ones as found in other models. Personally, I think Californias look best in metallic colors, and would easily go for silver, grey or blue (Tour de France Blue).

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Thank you all! Now to clarify my position, I wanted something that was a drop top that both my wife and I can enjoy. That said, I (not her) decided the Cali was it because I did not see her as being comfortable in an extended drive in the F430. I would love to know if I might be wrong here because my desire for red guts is non negotiable and F430's with are more plentiful. Otherwise, I will heed the advise and steer away from the '10 unless the numbers are lowered. Finding a (non-white) '12 and up Cali with red interior is proving hard unless someone knows of one.

13. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    have patience eric, as good things come to those who wait.

14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    After much research the most concerning issue I can find is the reliability of the tranny. I hear that 2010/11 cars are ones to stay away from. Is there any inspection or preventive maintenance that you render these years just as reliable?

15. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    In 2011 summer or later cars all had the issues fixed. Get a late model 2011 and you are good to go. Make sure you get PPI and I would pay the money for a warranty. I just bought a 4 year 50k miles warranty on my12 FF. $12k. Priceless piece of mind as she is my daily driver

16. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I hear you and believe what you say. BUT, if my dream car was a 2010 with 11k miles with no documented issues that I can buy as a certified car from Ferrari should I still walk?

17. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    What color did you decide to go for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have a blue with red interior I am in love with. But it is a 2010. Will be speaking with the owner next week.

19. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Sounds lovely! I'm looking at a 2010 as well and have found conflicting views regarding purchasing one, so I feel your pain. Some people say don't worry about it as long as its not a 2009 and has a warranty, others say 2011 or better. Hard to know what to do. Not that my opinion counts for much, but I'm leaning towards going for a 2010.

20. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Guys, guys, if u got the money to buy it, buy it.

The repairs you will pay later will simply make economy run around. you're doing a social job.

Seriously, get a warranty on everything.

21. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    That would be the plan to get it certified through Ferrari. Will this 1yr warranty cover everything or do I need to buy additional?

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Check with the dealer. There are a variety of coverages. Obviously the broader the coverage, the more expensive it would be. $10k for two years covering all but wear items is not unusual.

23. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Will do! Since my main concern is the DCT is there anything I could do upfront that would eliminate the issue? If I am spending that kind of money to warrantee the car why not spend the cash and fix it?

24. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Because you can fix it and the problem might represent itself in some months.

You want to have the broader warranty possible, but the minimum is gearbox, powertrain and transmission. ASk the dealer/seller about the condition of the hardtop.

25. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Got it!

Thanks,