infotainment | FerrariChat

infotainment

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Mar 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    the "infotainment" system on the Cali T is a bit cumbersome and lacks some functions or takes too many steps to accomplish what should be simple tasks. please send me your suggested improvements or pet peeves with the system.

2. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    hoping to hear peeves from cali T owners. for example, has anyone else experienced the situation where the sirius XM radio suddenly turns to AM radio for no reason? any other issues? as an aside, for me, the i keep tripping the wiper button when i turn the wheel because of where the wiper button sits.

ferrari is interested in suggestions and i was going to forward to them

3. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I didnt know my car had a radio ? :)

4. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It has a radio?

5. Mbob3

Mbob3 Rookie

Dec 31, 2003
    I know it has a radio because I accidentally turned it on yesterday.

6. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In all my other cars I have typically listened to BBC World News on an NPR HD radio channel, but now that I'm DDing in my Cali T I am blissfully unaware of world activities, instead being surrounded merely by engine music. I see the radio button but I never make it over that far as my right hand is usually occupied with the paddle shifter... ;)

7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It bugs me that I can assign a station to favorites, but when listing stations it always defaults to the entire list and I have to select again to just list favorites...

CarPlay sometimes is stupid about spotify and just plays songs from iTunes. Must disconnect and reconnect to make it work.

Sometimes the map in CarPlay is illegible.

8. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Mmmmmm.....wonder if I can get a refund or delete it from my build :(

9. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    CarPlay is great. You will love it. :)

An occasional minor issue...

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The question was about niggles. I love CarPlay and have no regrets.

And one that will likely go away with revisions.

11. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I'm so envy you guys as I can't have CarPlay at my Cali T as it was not available when I placed my order last june

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    But then again you received your car first !

13. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

Yes, can't have the whole world at one hand. Anyway I do really enjoy driving this beauty everyday. BTW I received the model car from my dealer yesterday. Place it at my office and look fabulous

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The questions becomes, when you sell your Ferrari do you keep the model or offer it to the next owner?

15. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmmmm....
    So far, I have had two. Traded the first in for the second. I'm keeping the model. It is my souvenir. :)

How about you, Rick? Did you keep your models?

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Keep the model. It will get lost by the dealer selling the car anyway, and it's better than keeping the second key, which oddly, some people seem to do.

17. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    yes. Mine does the same thing. Also, EPB failure requiring me to turn the car on and off occasionally

18. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think the original owner/configuror should retain the model...

Also, as a side note, whenever cost of the car comes up in casual conversation I am quick to point out that for the price one gets TWO cars from the factory... ;)

19. ctome3

ctome3 Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    Ridgefield, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom E
    My big concern with CarPlay at the moment has to do with upgradability...while it is definitely true that new operating system upgrades will be able to enable new features, what happens when the hardware itself won't run the new operating system? Will it be like trying to run today's applications on a first-edition iPad? How do we put the "iPad Air 2" version in when the time comes?

Has anyone heard anything about this? I was doing some searching and can't find anything. Am I being completely paranoid?

20. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tom, CarPlay itself is mostly a peripheral device, a bit like the speaker for a home stereo receiver, the iPhone does all the heavy lifting and CarPlay shows the screen and transfers the audio, so there is very little upgrading to CarPlay itself that would be at issue. As new apps arrive and operating system upgrades take place on ones iPhone, CarPlay has very little if anything to change in its functionality, even over time.

21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    This is how I understand it to be also.

John

22. Lirezh

Lirezh Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
    The "infotainment" system including and not limited:
    Music, CPU, usage, navigation&map, speech "recognition", address book
    Is the far most horrible part of California T.
    It's a shame they put that they put it out like that.
    Every cheap android phone released since Day 1 is far more responsive than what Ferrari put into the Cali.

Even a cheap BMW from 2000 is miles ahead of Ferrari in 2015 when it comes to the board computer.

23. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Correct CarPlay is all within your iPhone. Essentially we've paid for the extra USB port (the CarPlay specific one) which turns the Infotainment into a screen... the beauty is "limitless" upgrades that happen via iOS and iPhone upgrades.

24. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    True. But it's still a Ferrari!!

25. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    CarPlay is actually a bit of software loaded onto the car's head unit. It's all software, other than the Carplay button that allows you to toggle back and forth between OEM and the Apple view.

In old school terms, the Carplay head unit emulates the iPhone onto the car's display. In essence, the standard OEM features are running alongside and parallel to the Carplay emulation; you can run one, or the other.

You'll note it only redisplays Carplay "certified" apps - from what I understand, that's as simple as the app having a version with different graphics and user interface more suited to the head unit display. Also, generally, as long as the apps on your iOS device are updated, your Carplay view will have the same features available. Also, hopefully additional app developers will define their apps to be compatible with the Carplay display.

Over time, I can easily imagine the Carplay head until requiring a software upgrade. Apple has stated that they will make sure that Carplay units sold today will have upward compatibility to future devices, which also means new Apple devices need to be reverse compatible. What's unclear is if that update will come via the iPhone itself or it needs to be directly read into the head unit. Am hopeful Apple/Ferrari will continue to adapt to ongoing software development and support. Generally speaking, consumer electronics companies wash their hands of "old" software after 2 years. Aside from recalls or campaigns, only car companies that did proactive software updates are McLaren and Ferrari for the pre-12 458's that I'm aware of.

Already announced, at some point in near term (could be now?), Carplay will support bluetooth connectivity (i.e. no more USB), however I use the USB to keep the phone charged.

Last- and obvious- in contrast to Sat/Nav, the Apple apps only work when you have a cellular connection. There are still a lot of places in the US where cell coverage is a concept.

FWIW I tried Carplay out in a demo FF and at a trade show. I think it's wildly overpriced but it's also good enough that we ordered it in our next car.