Looks like the Cali T has its first legit competitor, mclaren 570s | FerrariChat

Looks like the Cali T has its first legit competitor, mclaren 570s

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by letsplay99, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
  2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 4th_gear, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    If I put my marketing hat on I would say that it's not actually a California competitor. It's a less expensive 12C/650S.

The styling and packaging say it would appeal to the same people that would contemplate driving around in a 12C or 650S. Whereas many (new) California owners can actually afford a 458 or 650S but choose the California because it attracts less attention, something that can be tiresome for many people and even for car enthusiasts after the initial excitement.

The California is also a hardtop convertible so many would-be convertible buyers would eliminate the 570S on that criterion alone. Yes, having rear seats also makes a difference if this is your only car - those seats are very handy when you are out shopping or if you just need to park your briefcase or favourite MK or Hermes handbag. Finally, the low-hanging CF monocoque will make the car more awkward to get into, put off a lot of women and men as well.

OTOH, I think the car looks better than the 12C and perhaps even the 650S. MAC will probably sell extra cars but also risk cannibalizing some 650S sales. IMO, they are just saying it's a California competitor and hoping the (incredibly) gullible will believe it. The truth is that they haven't or more likely, couldn't design a new form for an entirely new car segment. If you look at Ferrari's lineup you can see Ferrari did not go cheap and try to morph a single basic car form into 2 or 3 additional cars to compete in other market segments. The California is purpose-built and very different from all its siblings.

For instance, when you drive around in a California and see a 458 you don't feel like you are driving around in a cheaper 458 because the California can deliver benefits that the 458 can't, and vice versa. They're different and you appreciate what the factory did to make the car what it is. Not so for 570S owners.

Andrew Pour likes this.
  3. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    +50 Michael. It is no competitor at all.

4. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nicely put!

5. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    No convertible...no bueno. I could see an R-8 coupe as a competitor. 0-60 in 3.2 is pretty fast and it looks small enough that it will handle well. Why wouldnt you want to track this car?

If anything I learned about McLaren the past 18 months is they dont seem to be committed to any model. Every year they release new cars that make the hurt the market value of the previous years models. I think they make great cars but the first question everyone asks is "what kind of car is that, is that a Ferrari?" I guess I see the Mac as picking a model that is against the grain. I was surprised to see how low their production volumes were...I guess that speaks to their fragmented strategy.

6. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    They have announced a spider version for 2016, much like they introduced the 12C coupe first then the Spider. The spider 570C will likely be just as rigid as the Coupe so if you want to thrash it around the track, no problemo

As a Mclaren owner, I some times get asked "what kind of car is that," but never "is that a Ferrari?" Sometimes confused as a Lambo due to the doors, but most of the time people know exactly what it is and I get comments like, I have never seen one, only seen it in magazines, my kid selects this for his XBOX, PS4, etc.

Lastly, Mclaren's do have their similarities, but don't think because they share components across models or leverage designs means they cheapen the brand, I guarantee you under the skins of your California are many shared components, including Fiat and that Chrysler Sat Nav :)

MB

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Every time a new mclaren comes out, inevitably here goes the thread about how it will compete against this or that Ferrari. In the end they all fail as will this. I mean, has anybody looked at it? Nevermind Ferrari, that's not even a competitor for a Hyundai. I should be laughing but I can't be arsed anymore. I think McLaren should be put out of their misery.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, the 570S spider will be a cheaper alternative to the 650S Spider.

Yes, cars share components, the more important ones being Brembo brakes, engines, shocks, Infotainment systems, CarPlay (...did I say CarPlay?), engine management systems. In fact, all cars share many components but it's something else when they share sheetmetal, form and market segment.

Place the 570S next to a 650S, a California T and a Porsche 911 Turbo Cab and ask potential 570S buyers which of the other cars the 570S resembles. Even better, ask them to get in the cars and drive them, put the roof down, put them in reverse, park them around town; then ask them again which of the other cars the 570S resembles.

There is simply not enough differentiation between the 570S vs. 650S to not think of the 570S as a cheaper version of the 650S. In fact, I am starting to feel the 570S (with Huracan hints) looks a whole lot better than the 650S and is a much better deal from the point of view of aesthetics and specs (for $value). It should sell better than the 650S, which leaves the 650S to people who intend to track their cars. And based on the same logic, when the spider version of the 570S comes out, it will make the 650S Spider essentially redundant.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    As someone who likes going out with the wife and kid in the car, or taking weekend trips to the winery and coming back with a case of wine, I can't see these as competitors at all. (But the sporty car with kids market may be small, and even within that a small part of California sales).

10. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
    being a former mclaren owner and a current ferrari owner, I can tell you this. The 650 does not sell too much in volume. It simply is too expensive, it is really competing against the 458 speciale but without the ferrari cachet or the limited production run which eventually means it will depreciate a LOT very quickly. Look at current mclaren dealers, most will have at least 4-5 650's in stock currently and they will discount off msrp. Not so the case with the speciale.

So essentially, to survive, either mclaren does an ultra high end car limited edition car, which is the p1 which they have made their money from already or they go downmarket and appeal to the sub 200K market, people looking for a 911 turbo, audi r8 and appeal to them with a much more exotic model with higher performance numbers. Remember the cali-T is not a 200k car, with options it is more like 250k or more unless you get a bare bones one.

What else can mclaren do, stick to what they are building like Aston who is barely surviving and asking the govt for concessions since they cant even make current cars up to safety specs. It is not going to work so downmarket they need to go....look at maserati with the gran turismo....I see them everywhere..

I like the 570s, I think they really messed up with having an orange launch color which does not make it look right. A black or a blue car would look much more appealing.

Note, it will still end up being about 200K with the options thrown in so now we have Mr. I want an exotic, carbuyer thinking:
    1) Cali T, 250K, ferrari brand excellent, but not limited production so anyone gets one
    2) Lambo huracan, great brand, but perhaps even more than 250k, more of a comp to 458/488
    3) mclaren 650...too expensive.....however 570, hmmm, less than 200, different enough from all cars on the road, at least for now, performance beater....however not a convertible yet, convt probably next summer.....its well worth considering....I think its a good play by mclaren for sure...

Now for people who don't care about money at all at this price range, then F12 all the way!!

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    As so many here, I too completely fail to see how this could be considered a Cali T competitor. I'd say it actually competes with the R8 segment, and to a certain degree the 911 segment and those looking at the Merc GT-S AMG. It's also an option for those considering a used 458.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #12 TheMayor, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    I don't see it as a competitor unless you are just looking at how much want you spend on a car.

Its more sportscar than GT. It competes more with the 911, but the 911 is one hell of a mountain to try to climb.

I do agree with the R8 comparison. If you wanted something like that but more special and better looking, the new Mac is the car for you.

The real issue is when you have to decide between a used F430 and a used Mac 12c. The performance numbers for the 12c for the price are ridiculous.

The best thing about this new car is that it's by far the best looking Mac inside and out they have ever made. Finally, a little styling flair.

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

/thread. Cali T is a sporty GT. 570s is a sports car that competes against 911 turbo s, audi R9 or 10 or whatever and mercedes amg gt.

Not sure where Bentley EXP 10 or Alfieri fits in maybe in Cali demographic.

14. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The diminishment is not in shared parts but in very similar designs and performance figures. If you love the look of the Mac, you very well may decide the 570 is the way to go because you can't quite justify the extra expense of the 650. This more resembles the Corvette lineup in that more money buys more performance, but the basic car appeals in the same way. The main difference being that the performance differentiation may not be sufficient.

As far as being a competitor to the California, this is ridiculous except for the buyer who is just looking to spend $200 - $300k on a car and is buying on price alone as has already been mentioned.

I think the car is really sweet looking and would rather buy it than the 650. (If I was looking for something like that). Still I prefer the Cali...

John

15. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    +1 from the Fruit Fly !

16. pratas

pratas Karting

Sep 1, 2014
    Hong Kong
    #16 pratas, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 3.2 seconds
    0-200 km/h (0-124 mph) 9.5 seconds
    Top speed 328 km/h (204 mph)
    Power-to-weight 434PS per tonne
    90% of the performance at lot more cheaper price than 650S
    I would said it kill the 650S rather than Cali T

Not sure what the final price yet but according to the dealer should be 15-20% off than the Cali T price in Hong Kong.