Committed | FerrariChat

Committed

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Snewton94024, Apr 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    My first post and will be my first F car too.
    Now driving a Granturismo but drove the Cali at the Ferrari event and am hooked.
    Quick shifts like these don't seem possible and a smile popped up every time.
    I am hoping for some help in ordering, which I will do this coming week.
    My salesman says I can still order a 2015 now with July/August delivery or a future activated 2016 with an October delivery. Am planning on leasing. Putting aside "ants in the pants" does anyone see a reason for one over the other?
    Are there certain options which are really good to have or really needed?
    I'm trying to keep my ceiling price @ $225k.
    Anything you wish you had ordered, or any option that wasn't such a big deal after all?
    I won't get into color and wheel combinations as I recognize how personal that is. My Maser is grigio nuvolare (mid gray metallic with crema interior) but not sure how that would translate to the Cali. The car configurator is helpful but I have a hard time visioning on a larger scale and the dealership only has so many cars on the floor to look at.
    I assume there is no discount off sticker.
    Anything you wish you had done differently?
    Sorry for going on so much but I am very excited by this car!

2. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is no Italian translation for discount. Your budget will be a tug of war between function and beauty. I would go to the configuration website and play with it for awhile. You can also search the web for option pricing. Be prepared for sticker shock.

3. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    You will find that you will not be happy with a 225 car and that a reasonably optioned car is 240 and up. You don't need to go crazy but here are a few things that you will be sorry if you do not get e.g. - led steering wheel, shields, nicer wheels, front and rear sensors. Leather choices, seats and cf can add up very quickly. Take your time and don't be penny wise after all, it's your first Ferrari!

4. Force

Force Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    My new Cali T arrived at the dealer yesterday and I also tried to keep the price down but
    after getting the clear chip seal on I stickered close to $250 and can't imagine cutting out
    the few options that I got.

5. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    My Cali T is beginning build this month. The sticker is close to $260. My suggestion is you for sure get magneride suspension, CF driver zone steering wheel with LED, 20" wheels, shields, front & rear sensors, and if you like music get the premium hi fi. I'd be surprised if you your car nicely optioned for less than $245.

6. Snewton94024

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Thanks, everyone.
    I very much appreciate the advice!
    I will meet with the dealer on Friday and no doubt go over the $225 I had in mind.
    I will post order details if anyone wants to see them.

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I was at 290 but so happy with every choice I got. Musts in my opinion are shields, wheels, LED wheel, suspension.

8. herenow

herenow Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2014
    US of A
    When I ordered my wife's it was before the dealer had pricing on options so I put on what I thought would be necessary... Didn't really follow up and figured will find out when it landed at port. Ours was around 295, pushing 300... I agree it will be hard to get something with the necessities at 225, obviously 295 isn't only necessities and was probably because we ordered a lot of CF etc...

I would say the MUST MUST haves are: optioned up wheels, shields, LED steering wheel, cameras/sensors, HiFi audio....

9. Snewton94024

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Based on these posts I will be lucky to stay under $250k!
    I can start thinking about color combinations and wheels.

Thanks, everyone.

10. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    I think it is something that Ferrari do very well. Put out an options list that consists largely of must haves! On a car like this you would think Magnaride suspension would be standard. Why offer something inferior and charge for what should be on? Because they can and people will pay and it becomes the expected spec for a car when someone's looking to purchase used. So you put it on or risk having an inferior product and losing out when it comes to resale. Similarly I don't see many people who don't choose Scuderia shields, coloured calipers or coloured rev counter. Parking sensors are at least standard in the UK even if the cameras aren't. If you want to same some money, stick to standard paint and interior trim options and avoid the CF (although the CF wheel with LEDs as many have said is a desirable option). Unless you're into music on the move you could pass on the hi-fi upgrade (listen to the engine noise instead). Wheel upgrades are nice but can always be done at a later date when you'll have more options.

Ultimately though you're not buying used and have the option to spec the car of your dreams as you would like it to be. It's hard not to get carried away in the process. Unless you have deep pockets make sure your head rules your heart when you tick those boxes. Whatever you choose it's going to be a fantastic car.

11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Mine was 252 plus plus, i love my car !

12. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Mine comes out at about 275 USD at current conversion rates

13. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave

Well put.

I came in under 260, would not remove a thing I added, and really don't miss anything I was on the fence about. I could also see going up into the 300s, which would not be tough to do. I think the people at Ferrari are brilliant with their pricing, especially the extra campanario and Tailor Made program. Brilliant.

14. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Mine came in around 255k. I omitted the optional HiFi and LED Steering wheel because they did not seem worth it to me. I happen to like the CF bridge but I did not like CF elsewhere. I only ordered CarPlay becasue my wife thought it was "neat." I think it is way overpriced and I will only use it infrequently. It is such a personal thing. It's one thing if you are speccing for your own personal ownership experience (me) but entirely a different thing if resale value is most important to you. Then you must be more sensitive to what others will value when you are ready to move on. I understand both viewpoints but your cash....your call!

15. Snewton94024

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Ok, today I filled out my order sheet.
    Grigio Tatanio with Cuoio, 20" wheels, magnaride and led cf wheel. Yellow shields and tach face. Looks great on the large screen configurator at the dealer.
    I have just one very stupid hang up. I ordered the chrome edge grille which seems fine. On the way home I saw a blue T with the full chrome grille and liked it but not on that blue car. I went online and saw two T's in England in Tatanio with the full grille and thought it looked great as it goes well with Tatanio. My salesman warns me it is a lot of chrome. I thought it harks back to some of the old models. But, I wonder if it makes the car look "soft". Kinda of like an Aston, maybe. Any help with this very subjective question?

16. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My thought is the less chrome in the grill, the sportier. I have Argento Nurburgring with no chrome myself. Take a look at pics online of F12s in silver and you can see no chrome, slats, and egg crate. That might help you decide, at least it helped me...

17. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    I agree. If you want a sportier look less chrome is better. If you want bling add more chrome ;)

18. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I debated that as well.... since I went with a "sportier" look (almost CF everything) I decided against the chrome grill. Also, the chrome matches nothing else on the car... there isn't chrome anywhere else, including the exhaust, so I found that a bit odd. If you're trying to have your car emulate an older model Cali awesome go for it, it'll still look great. It's just more what "look" are you going for... elegant or sporty?

19. Gb135

Gb135 Karting

Jul 28, 2014
    can you send link to the two T's in England? BTW my order is Titanio w chrome grille trying for a retro look.

20. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    we went with chrome surround on a yellow cali because we liked the contrast with the black grille and didn't want too much chrome.....But, it's like color - its in the eye of the beholder. Everyone's eye sees things differently.

21. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Another opinion...full chrome works with an elegant and slightly darker color for contrast, and must have the bright painted wheels to tie into the grill. Black grill or partial chrome for sport look. One man's opinion.

22. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Ordered Cali T in BTF with full chrome grill for classic F-car look. Also, have seen it on Red Corsa and was amazing. But agree, somewhat sportier without grill.

23. Snewton94024

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    You guys are the best!!
    I think you captured the differences perfectly.
    Sporty, elegant or bling.
    Don't care for bling anytime but do like elegant and sporty.
    I think I will stick with the chrome edges only and not the full chrome grille.
    I looked online at about 125 photos of 2015 Cali and saw just two with the full chrome grille. Both were blue cars. All of the silver or grey cars had the chrome edges and I also pay attention to how manufacturers advertise their cars figuring the manufacturer has a good idea of what looks best. Ferrari does not show the full chrome grille in its color ads. I think it looks great on a silver or grey Cali but will bypass it for now. I will supply the links for the cars I mentioned. I know i saw one link in this forum but not sure about the other. One had the five vertical sections, instead of three, looking like an "eggcrate" which did look elegant. Very excited to say that my order is in and locked. I guess I am getting my dealer's last slot for a 2015 and am hoping for an August delivery. My dealer says no changes in the 2016 but I read somewhere the 2016 will have keyless entry and ignition.

24. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    It is amazing how blue TDF looks so very different in different lighting. My Cali T is TDF and I did not recognize the color on your car on my computer. TDF is lighter in bright lighting but darkens considerably in low light. Incidentally, I have the chrome grill without the surround.

25. Snewton94024

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Gb135, here is the link to the Cali in Grigio Titanio with the egg crate full chrome grill.
    http://blog.driveaway2day.com/2013/03/2013-ferrari-california-grigio-titanio.html
    It looks like a 2013 model.
    Here is a link to a Cali with no chrome in the grille.
    Grigio Titanium/Cuoio California - Teamspeed.com
    I actually like it quite a bit as the Ferrari horse stands out.
    I could not find the link to the other British car which had the partial chrome grille but I know it is buried somewhere in this forum. So, this is a link to the Cali just introduced in Shanghai with the special order color of Grigio Ingrid with the partial chrome grille instead.
    ferrari, passenger cars, cool automotive catalog, worldwide automotive, auto classifieds, worldwide cars, automotive news online, auto cars » FERRARI
    Finally, the ultimate Titanio:
    http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfp1/t51.2885-15/10362213_570316099745051_429186853_n.jpg