Apple system | FerrariChat

Apple system

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by McRoswell, May 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Hi is anyone using the new Apple option for the California? Anyone ordering one? Setting up my appointment to configure my 2016 Cali

2. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have ordered it, but don't have any experience with it, as my car is not here yet. That said, my reasoning is the future of personal music is not disc, but digital. The ability to have your song lists travel with you on your phone/iPod/cloud/whatever comes next, fits with CarPlay better than the optional disc player.

3. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not ordered on a spec I recently completed for a family member. Biggest issue was that you had to plug the phone into the system each time as most if not all features do not work through Bluetooth. Maybe something for the future but right now it appeared to us to be an expensive gimmick.

4. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Same here. I ticked that option but have yet to see if it's worth the cost. I thought hard about whether I really needed it as I'm sure the standard unit has a reasonable sat nav and can stream music via bluetooth. I reasoned however, that it would mean I'm more able to keep up with software developments via Apple upgrades than I would with the car's unit. Sat nav maps with Apple should be current rather than ultimately 2, 3 or more years out of date. As more apps are developed for CarPlay then it hopefully will get even better. Whilst the phone has to be plugged in at present hopefully bluetooth connectivity will be coming. That said, I'll wait and see how much use from it I actually get. Better not upgrade my phone to Samsung!

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have it, it's awesome. And I believe future updates allow for wireless CarPlay as well... In fact I believe iOS 8.3 already enabled that. I have to see if Ferrari has to do something on my Cali T to enable it. Highly recommended option from my perspective. TBH, I don't mind the native infotainment either, though. It's "good enough" for me. But I really do love Apple products and iOS so I waited to build my Cali T until CarPlay was available. Glad I did!

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    the next update should enable all features via Bluetooth. CarPlay as installed is upgradeable (sort of like updating an app) via the device.

the "standard" SatNav/infotainment is pretty good as-is; frankly I think it gets a bit over-abused. Carplay makes a few things a lot better, especially if you're comfortable using iOS. Little things like autoloading addresses from meetings or emails into the Maps function; the VR system in current gen Ferraris is actually really good; however it has limited functions; Siri continues to be able to support more requests beyond Nav/Radio/Phone, etc.

Downsides? In a Ferrari, it's way overpriced. Still not enough apps developed to be Carplay compatible. If you end up with an Android device, you're probably screwed....

Risks? Hoping Apple continues development so Carplay does not become a digital equivalent of a cassette player and devices can use the interface for 10+ years.

I took an extended test drive in a Cali and and FF with Carplay - and literally it was primarily to test Carplay. Also, I tend to "plug my phone in" when in the car anyway to charge it, so the streaming is interesting, but charging is relevant.

7. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm really happy with CarPlay, even if no other apps appear. It's truly useful, and fun to use.

8. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    ^agree with Entropy and Udaverea... very happy with the decision! And it'll only get better... you pay up front for future development. It appears Apple has been very aggressive about partnering up with auto makers so I think it should be around for quite some time.

9. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Actually its a very good system, I also have BMW's and although it has apps also, specially Pandora, emails & SMS, the touch screen on the Cali is what makes it.

Easy to use, and it will improve as the IOS is Apple directly on you touch screen, the cable connection and not wireless connection is the only drawback and I don't think the Cali Info Centre is capable hardware wise anyway for wireless (missing the wireless chip), so it won't be a software upgrade. Think the next generation Cali will have wireless built in.

But as it stands its pretty good, Ferrari has the jump on a lot of car makers as they will not be releasing Carplay until the end or early next year.

10. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    The 2013 FF was first to support bluetooth streaming; the F12, Speciale and CaliT all support it for MUSIC, not yet for Carplay but (as noted above) it's imminent and should be easily if not automatically updatable. I'd be surprised if it required a dealer performed INT update based on the architecture of Carplay.

11. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #11 Robertus, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Think you will find that Apple Carplay is Wireless not Bluetooth activated. The info centre in the Cali most likely won't have (pretty sure the Cali is not WiFi capable as there are currently no car radio systems that are, only Bluetooth) the hardware to support wireless, I believe the high end Alpine aftermarket system is hardware wireless ready but needs a software upgrade to activate it. This is why the other car companies have not implements it yet.

I have been viewing a few other forums and the above is their view on wireless Carplay. Think you will be stuck with cable connected Carplay until the next generation of the Info Centre in the Cali will be installed.

What could be done is a wireless ready USB stick (with built-in drivers) which you could plug into the car USB socket and your iPhone connects to that wirelessly!!!!!!!!!, there a invention for someone? just give me 5% on the profits thanks?

12. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Check out MotoMan on YouTube, Cali T CarPlay review.

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Actually my 2012 FF had Bluetooth streaming, although it was a late 2012.

I'd like to find a Carplay user manual though as I just ordered a Cali T, July build, already getting excited! I'll sell my '12 Cali this summer.

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Ha good luck Rick. None was included with my car. Basically plug in to the specific CarPlay USB port, hit the CarPlay button, and off you go!

15. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    You are correct and I stand corrected, Carplay wireless will be 802.11xx for the actual Carplay functions.

16. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    If CarPlay is wireless in 802.11, how will that work with the three manufacturers currently using it?

17. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Embedding an 802.11 "in-car hotspot" is pretty easy (i.e. the Pioneer, Alpine, et al can embed 802.11 into their units - some already have). I'd need to look into the regulatory (eg. FCC) or other reasons why it is (or is not) usable. Many manufacturers offer in-car hotspots are options already.

Or, to the other post, is the current unit being shipped in the Cali and FF already wifi enabled but not unlocked (which could require a dealer-based INT software update). Carplay architecture updates the Carplay software via the device and runs the apps off the device; Carplay is just an emulator/interface.

In that case, you'd need your iPhone to be on WiFi to use the "wireless" connectivity. As I noted, "charging" is key to me, and WiFi usage kills the phone battery, so I anticipate that even with wireless connectivity, people will end up tethered just to get/keep a charge.

Today, Bluetooth is used for streaming media, but apparently insufficient bandwidth for the Carplay functionality according to what I've read. (and Robertus pointed out).

Harman makes the systems for most FCA platforms (including Ferrari) and they already offer embedded 802.11, so I'm sort of hoping they thought ahead. If not, I'll live with the cable.

18. Techman

Techman Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    If you can somehow find the FCC ID number for the CarPlay headunit in the FF/California T it's easy to find out if it has integrated WiFi that's been FCC certified for use.

19. Techman

Techman Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    I believe it's this: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=501665&fcc_id=QNG-BE2810

If that's indeed the unit in the California T with CarPlay (Harman VP4-GT) then it looks like there's 2.4GHz 802.11b/g support. Not a ton of bandwidth but given that the display runs at what looks like 800x480, I suspect we're talking about a fairly low bandwidth stream as well.

If this is what we're dealing with then it's just up to Ferrari to enable WiFi support in software.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #20 TheMayor, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why is this an "option"? You mean you have to pay for it? That sucks. How much is it?

I thought apple play was going to be standard in the new cars. Another Ferrari/ apple rip off? You can get an entire Pioneer 2 DIN deck with apple play for $700 TOTAL!!!!

I thought the days of them charging $3000 or a $5 dollar Apple connector were over.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wireless Carplay will take time to be introduced, one reason will be security (why do you think the head security programming just left Apple and has gone to Tesla Cars).

Buying a Alpine Carplay ready radio is fine as it not connected to the car internals like current modern cars are which have two way communications with your phone.

Not to mention any other wireless hackers that might be trying hack into your cars system while your pulled up at the lights, your car also has a built-in GPS, its own cellular sim system for communications and more?

I can already find my BMW up to 1.5klm away with my iPhone, view where it is via google maps, also with my phone open & lock the doors, flash the lights, lower the windows for ventilation etc and be nowhere near the car. Loose your phone, loose your car?

22. Asif1680

Asif1680 Rookie

Dec 29, 2013
    Just took delivery of my cali T and love the carplay option. I highly recommend it if you are an apple user.

23. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    +1

24. ram77

ram77 Rookie

Jun 7, 2015
    Corona del Mar Ca.
    Full Name:
    Roger
    I understand Apple play is standard on the 2016
    Mind is on order now, maybe get before the holidays

25. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    You have a 2016 on order? If so, what is your allocation month?