Film wrap | FerrariChat

Film wrap

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Shoffman, May 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Many of you are planning to get Cali wrapped before taking delivery. Are u guys wrapping whole car, just front hood or front bumper and half of front hood. Thoughts?

2. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I did just the front exposed surfaces, but did do the whole hood so that there wouldn't be a visible seam. When they wrapped the front fenders, they did the outside exposed surfaces but not the visible inside rim of the front fender opening, which I'd guess is the norm. I clipped a possum I was trying to avoid which put visible scratches inside the rim of the fender, but the wrap protected the outer part of the fender from scratches. Not sure if anyone ever wraps that inner rim, or if it's even possible to do so neatly, given the curve of the fender, but that is the one change I'd attempt if I were to do it again.

3. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wrapped the whole car, including headlights and added UV film for the windows. My daily driver feels bullet proof at this point. Since the Suntek wrap has UV protection and I park outside at the office every day I wanted all paint to get similar sun effect. Not sure if it actually affects that, but it makes me happy...

:)

4. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    I plan to do the whole car. The tug of war each of us will have is the difference in cost vs the peace of mind. I live in a 'sand the roads in winter' state, so lots of small BB size pebbles just waiting for that truck to come by and send them airborne. If you decide to put wrap on your car, get a master level paint correction first, as the wrap locks in the finish.

5. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Thx guys; can you give a ballpark of what the cost is? My dealer said around two grand but not sure what this covered on the car.

6. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    +1. I'm doing the whole car. As I have 2 boys 6 and 8 the risk of scratching the doors etc is pretty high. So for me the peace of mind is worth the cost. I totally agree that you should get a good paint correction detail first to lock in the finish. Mine is about to go through the process next week before I get it. Cost in the UK is about £5k for the whole car so I suspect the $2K is front only.

7. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have (metallic) Argento Nurburgring paint, so the finish differences would not be nearly as noticeable as a solid red, for instance, so I did not have a paint correction done first. My full wrap was about $5k. I put things on the roof and the hood with complete peace of mind, the self healing aspect is worth the price alone. I lean on the body when cleaning the front and rear glass, no issues. Seems scary the first couple of times... Wet spray and wipe off bugs right away, as their remnants are one of the few concerns.

8. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    If you want a great job, have your Ferrari Dealer do it. If you let the Ferrari Factory do it for you, beware of quality and higher costs

9. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not actually done at the factory. The Ferrari film would be installed at the dealer. Most I know have had a third party, typically working with or referred by the dealer, install XPEL or Suntek on their cars before taking delivery, or immediately after taking possession.

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I would never get Ferrari or the dealer to do it. On my cars, I choose to have someone do it who does it for a living and is really good at it - same with paint correction. The reason why I would never let Ferrari do it, is because I 1. Would not want to have their paint job quality "trapped" under the film. 2. I have seen way too many Ferrari clear bra jobs that were terrible as well.

11. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    My dealer says the factory can do it but the quality can be very disappointing.
    Instead, they do it at the dealer using a vendor who does all of their cars to keep quality high. Cost for just the front, not including the hood, is $2,000 and $3,000 if the hood and outside front fender areas are included. Living in California I am not sure I will have it done. My Granturismo has had no problems but maybe I have been lucky.

12. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I had a full total car Expel wrap done on my Cali T, including the roof, by Rob Dahm of Executive Autocare in Monroe, MI recommended by my dealer. He added 19 custom pieces to the Expel kit for areas like the mirrors and rocker panels. All seams were folded under. He did minor paint correction, nothing more was needed. Base price was $4,500. Rob had a Cali 30 in the ship whose owner brought it back for more film after seeing mine.

I had previously had a complete paint correction done by DNA Surface Concepts in Lake Park FL on a metallic black 9 year old Range Rover followed by a ceramic treatment and the results were absolutely stunning. They are also a mighty fine shop with a fetish for doing it right. I would not hesitate to recommend either shop without reservation. PM me if you want additional information.

13. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    I'm getting a full wrap with Xpel Ultimate. My dealer referred me to 3 different shops in Houston, one of which is an Xpel branded shop. The estimate they gave me is about $5k. I had the front wrapped on the Aston Martin that I traded in on the Cali T and wished I had done the whole car. When I'm spending almost $300k for the vehicle, $5k seems like cheap insurance and the peace of mind is worth it. The only downside is having to wait the extra days to get the car once it's delivered to the dealer.

14. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    +1

15. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    I know how you feel. Those extra seconds soon add up.

16. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Indeed they do

17. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I had my 458 completely wrapped, it came out perfect with Xpel. To me, as somewhat OCD, I want the protection to drive the car more, and not worry about scratches here and there on the paint. Especially since I sometimes transport my car quite a bit.

Downside having dealer doing it, is the paint really should be prepared and polished first. Nothing extreme, but I wanted the paint to really shine before the filming. Having it done at an excellent independent shop may be better 'cause, if there is a bad batch of film, they can recut it quickly. Also, so shops are dusty, not proper heat temps, when doors open/close, and they can be rushed as there are other dealer cars to do. Upside to dealer, it may be easier to have one focal point for your car, if anything needs to be redone.

18. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Anyone have experience with Ferrari of Long Island doing the wrap?

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Most dealers send it out to experts and then charge up a little for it. I think you're better off just going to an expert on your own and make your own deal.

20. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    The advantage of having the EAG do the wrap is that THEY will warrantee it, and ensure its perfect, I had my done thru Ferrari Fort Lauderdale (same owners) and they are just wonderful !

21. tonymarcs

tonymarcs Rookie

May 9, 2015
    Looking for a recommendation on a film wrap shop in south florida...

22. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    How much you cover depends on the use pattern of the car. Our V8s have just the front fenders, bumper and bonnet wrapped. The FF is in full suit of armor because it runs a lot of miles out on the desert where the wind throws a lot of debris around in all directions.

And definitely find your own good shop to do the job for you. It will be cheaper plus it will be good to establish relationship with a good shop.

23. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    My dealer just sent me spec on film wrap and they use 3M Stoneguard Film with on-site installation so car doesn't have to get shipped. Price is roughly $2,000 for full hood plus $595 for the side rocker panels. Thoughts? Also do you guys also get any of the following: Tire and Wheel protection ($3495); Eco Car protection package ($895); Radar ($2995); Lojack ($895); Carbon Window film ($599); Skid plates ($1795); Retractable front plate ($299); and Extended warranty to 5 years ($9900). Really would appreciate everyone's thoughts on the above, especially those of you who are lucky enough to have owned F-cars before, help!!!

24. Gb135

Gb135 Karting

Jul 28, 2014
    Shoffman, who is your dealer in the tri-state, do they also use film wrap SUntek and Xpel? I am planning on a full wrap for peace of mind. Otherwise from your list, only radar is what I am thinking...

25. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    Sounds high for just the hood and rockers wrap based on my research