Rear Seat Delete | FerrariChat

Rear Seat Delete

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Fly4Ree, May 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    So apart from Small Children, I am at a loss for the benefit of the rear seats. What is the downside of having the ledge in a new T? Has anyone ever said, I want a California T because it is a four seater?

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yes someone has. There was a bench option in the Cali and apparently a very small percentage optioned for it. I'm sure you could offer Ferrari some insane amount of money and they'll build you a Cali T with it...

I like putting my sunglass case on one of the rear seats to hold them, haha. And soft bags.

3. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    By having a back seat you get a huge break on your insurance rates because officially it is not a two seater. The California T, FF and F12 get this perk/benefit. Where the 458, 488 & LaFerrari owners do not :-(

anunakki likes this.
  4. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks for that.

5. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This is exactly why the 911 has a useless rear seat as well.

Thanks,
    Erik

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I'll just add that the seats aren't necessarily "useless"... they can be used in a pinch, especially if the top is down. They are more convenient (to me) to throw soft bags there than in the trunk (when the top is down). I prefer that the Cali T has them as opposed to not having them. But no... they aren't huge by any means.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A picture is worth a thousand words... in this case, maybe two pictures.

I was tempted to get one when I ordered my car but the bench option simply would not have offered the same flexibility of back seats, and if you put any shopping on the bench it would slide all over the place and spill. The rear bucket seats offered more stable multi-use platforms.

OTOH, if you mainly traverse the continent in this car, the bench + custom luggage would have been the way to go. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 2010 California has back seats, and my kids used them for 3-4 years. Now, they don't fit except in a pinch and for a very short ride. But - with the seats, you also get the pass-through to the trunk (don't know if you get that with the shelf) which has proved handy at times for stuffing in larger items.

Only downside for me is the carpool lanes on the approach to the SF Bay Bridge require 3 people (not the usual 2). I haven't been able to convince anyone to sit back there just so I can use the carpool lane. So - I typically use my S2000 when I have to cross the bridge during rush hour - no back seat, no 3rd passenger needed. I'd love a "pop-in" bench that fits over the seats and converts the car to a 2 seater!

9. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Hey Michael...I had the bench option with the custom luggage with the 14 Cali I just sold...I will say this, it was much easy to clean with leather conditioner because the surface was flat. I also have no kids so it was an easy choice for me (Instead of kids, I saved money and bought a Ferrari...lol).

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm glad it worked out for you Ron. The bench does look nicer in a way, very clean design especially with the luggage. With kids though... you have to really want them because it's always a bit of a crapshoot with family. :rolleyes:

How do you like your 458 Spider? Do you miss not having a bit more space behind the seat?

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hate it when govt tells you how to live while at the same time they are happy taxing you whatever amount they feel like. Oh well, enjoy the scenery in the slow lane then. ;)

12. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I am loving the 458 spider (already got 4k miles on her) but there are definitely things I miss about the Cali. Space in general is more plentiful in the Cali-the footwell, headroom, back seat. And even through the 458 spider is probably louder, the Cali's burbles and gunshots on gear shifts is way better. I think they muted those on the 2012 software update on the 458's.

I saw the pics you posted recently your Cali...definitely a real looker.

13. Force

Force Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    I wouldn't have bought the T if it didn't have the back seat. I use it constantly.
    Kids, teenagers and young woman love riding back there. The car is much more
    practical for every day use with it.

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks Ron, I love my Cali30. I was chatting with my new salesman the other day. A white 458 Spider was sitting outside his office and our conversation drifted into a discussion of what might be my future Fcar interest. I adore the 458 but at my age, the attention attracted by a 458 would overwhelm me. I just love to drive. Savour the experience Ron.

15. cdvalent

cdvalent Rookie

May 3, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I specifically ordered my Cali 30 with the bench. The seats seemed pointless, and I have the benefit of driving a two-seater in the diamond lanes. The pass through from the trunk operates just fine. I haven't yet used the straps to hold luggage, but they hold a spare hat nicely when I'm driving solo.

16. Kevin McClure

Kevin McClure Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    KevinM
    I'm in the process of purchasing my first Ferrari, a 2010 California. It has every option I was looking for, except it has the bench and not the rear seats. I agree that the rear seats are probably unusable for anyone but young kids, however the cuoio leather with the black Daytona inserts really look nice (IMHO) and would make the rear area look even nicer. Has anyone heard of a way to swap the bench for the seat configuration? I've heard that the configuration of the body is different for the two options, but I haven't been able to confirm that. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Benefits? See pics below! Not a T, though. ;)

This 2010 Cali - which I think belongs to F-chatter Tides - has the bench back seat. Looks super slick!

http://www.naplesmotorsports.com/vehicle-details/2010-ferrari-california-convertible-1c59480e56adad4ab64e646e46660f4c

T

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

good2go likes this.
  18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    tomc likes this.
  19. Kevin McClure

Kevin McClure Rookie