Magneride or not for Cali T | FerrariChat

Magneride or not for Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by aviator88, May 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    I'm in the process of finalizing the specs for a new California T, and can't decide whether or not to opt for the Magneride suspension. Will be mostly driving in a city with fairly good roads, but will do some track driving.
    Does the "shock absorber" button on the steering wheel have much effect (without magneride option fitted)?

Thanks for your time.

2. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I'm on my second Cali and have a T coming this fall. Magneride is mandatory!!! In the comfort mode you can drive all day in the car. In the sport mode it really stiffens up and you will feel every bump, great fun but it could be tiring on a long drive.

The shock absorber button will give you all of the engine/traction/accelerator sensitivity feel/exhaust note that Sport gives but with the softer ride. That is how I drive my FF in daily driving. I'd have to assume that without magneride shocks there would be no need for the shock absorber button.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #3 greyboxer, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    a must, most important option on car!!

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yes get it

6. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    This ^^^^^^!!

7. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Owned 2013 Cali 30, currently have 2015 Cali T both with Magnaride. Drove one without it once. GET IT!

8. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Don't leave home without it.

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I have never had a cali or driven a cali without magnaride so i cannot say anything about the improvement. I can say that i put my car on sport when i first got in and have driven 8000 miles since and loved every moment.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Magneride reduces the response time of the suspension when you make rapid changes in direction. The car is much faster and much more poised through S-curves.

11. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    Thanks for the overwhelming positive response. Magneride now at the top of the list!
    Interesting that many review articles on the Cali T (written by journos who don't own them) say the Magneride is probably not worth the extra. So it's great to get feedback from people who have actual owner experience. Much appreciated.
    P.S. Sorry if this topic has been discussed before - I'll get the hang of it!

12. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    Magneride should be standard on this car.

13. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1 for magnaride. My 2010 has it and it's great. Gotta imagine latest updates are even better!

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    It really helps to get your advice from an actual owner. Non-owners sometimes take offense when they are told they are wrong but tough for them. Some here like to scold you if you restart a thread but (as I already said) tough luck for them too. There is always room for another question even if it has been asked a hundred times, like Shields or no shields :D (the correct answer is Shields!).

You will love the Cali! And you will really notice the difference with the shock response when you switch the manetino. Remember to take a good camera with you when you pick it up. Have someone ready to snap photos of your smile the first time you start your new T!!

15. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    +1

16. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow. Did I blow it. No Magnaride. Perhaps a little pretend button like the office depot one on the steering wheel will mitigate the embarrassing stares on Coffee and Cars Sunday. :)

17. gretel1011

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Whoops. I'm surprised your dealer let you spec the car without it.

18. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    What's the status on the build of your car?

19. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's in my garage. I do love the hell out of it. Magnaride or no. Of course I have nothing to compare it to which is probably for the best!

20. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    My dealership actually told me Magneride probably wasn' t worth the extra outlay.
    Thanks to you guys in the forum, I decided to go for it anyway.
    It' s worth noting that in South Africa, we pay an extra 80% tax on exotic imports, so that affects the price of the options as well. Magneride comes in at close to USD9000.00.
    A decently spec'd car will set you back around USD380-400k!
    How does that compare to the cost in say USA or Europe?

21. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yikes! That is a huge tax rate, and you probably have to pay income tax to get the 400k. Just curious what the tax on 400k of income is. Cars here have taxes also, but they break down to sales tax (like a vat) that varies by state, and property tax, which also varies. Combined where I live, the total is about 10%. Most of the cars I have seen land between 250-300k before tax.

PS You definitely made the right choice to add it, especially if you will be driving over uneven streets and roads.

22. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    The income tax rate is about 40%. One can structure the purchase in a way that the car is tax deductable if you use it for business. But this is a bit of a hassle since you have to keep a deatailed logbook for the tax return, and essentially you have to use the car as your daily drive.

23. gretel1011

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    $250K to $300K. In Texas where I live the sales tax on cars is 6.25%. The nice thing about the Cali T is that it's fuel economy rating allows buyers to avoid the "Gas Guzzler" tax, which is about $3-4K if I recall correctly.

24. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Here's how it's done in Denmark - just using USD as a comparison. And mind you, we pay the same rates for the extras such as paint upgrades, interior options and so on. These insane figures are not limited to the cars base price by itself! Danish VAT is 25% add to that a 12 % customs fee after VAT, and then add another 189% registration tax. So take an option that has a base price without any VAT or any taxes of 5000 usd and it will look like this.

Including 25% VAT 6250 usd
    Including 12% CF 7000 usd
    Including 189% RT 20230 usd

Yup, it's that insane. Now do the math with a nicely specced F12 with a price of 325 usd without any taxes or the like. Price? 1.314950,00 usd or around 8 mill Danish Kroner!!!

Now, who wants to hear about our 65% income tax?:D

25. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    Enough to make a grown man cry. On the upside, I suppose it makes the cars more unique and desirable.