Protection Film or no Film | FerrariChat

Protection Film or no Film

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Shoffman, May 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Just trying to get some consensus from the group as to whether is worthwhile/necessary to get protection film on new cali T on full front hood/rocker panels (approx. $2,500) for driving in NYC and the Hamptons? Also, does everyone opt to extend F-warranty from 3 years to 5 years for $9 grand and get the 3-year tire/wheel protection for $3,500?

Thx!

2. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I got full body film on mine, removes all worries about just about anything. I drove on new asphalt edges the other day, the little pieces stuck to the door panels and rockers. Spray and wipe took them off without a trace. Good for peace of mind. I will be extending my warranty. I did not opt for the tire and wheel protection, but in NYC I would for potholes, especially if you get 20 inch wheels.

3. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
  4. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Interesting that UK warranty is 4 years....at least that's what my dealer told me. I'll need to double check now.

I got full protection film on mine. The finish is superb and if you get the paint corrected first it means you should maintain a pristine look (once you've washed the daily grime off!). I took the 3 year alloy and tyre warranty (my wife's a devil when it comes to dinging alloys) but at a cost of £600 GBP from my dealer in the UK. $3500 for this seems rather steep. You should check out prices from independent providers too.

5. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    You might look at when you have to buy the extended manufacturers warranty. My imperfect understanding is that it may be purchased anytime while the original is in force. Thus if you still own it in a few years it might make more sense than spending the money now.

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Id definitely get the wrap

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I just did it on my Alfa 4 c in advance of drive I'm doing around the southwest.

Imo it's worth it. The new films today are pretty remarkable. No one can tell it's there.

Mine ran 2800 for the front bumper, the hood, the door handles, the headlights, the lower body, and the CF tub inside the door. I also added a film to reduce heat coming in from the windshield.

8. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    We just took delivery of a 2016 Porsche Targa 4 GTS for my wife today (ok, I MAY be driving it from time to time...). We are doing Clay Bar cleaning, paint correction/polish, Xpel self healing film on all the forward facing surfaces, Opti-coat Pro protection on all painted, filmed and wheel surfaces (but not glass or lenses -- apparently Porsche says not to), and some kind of leather/alcantera protection for all the interior surfaces. $2400 in the Boston area by an highly regarded shop. Picking it up in time for the weekend... can't wait.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Peter, can you share the name of the shop and how the results go? I am looking for someone locally.

Apparently, lifting the film can remove the UV coating on the headlight lenses on the Porsches, which is why it is not recommended.

10. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
  11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks Peter. Rick has a terrific reputation, did not know he does film, as well.

12. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    I was sold on Xpel, but looking at some of the YouTube videos comparing Xpel with 3M and Sun Tech, now I'm not sure. Is there anyone out there who really knows how these perform, and which do you recommend.

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
  14. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    Just trying to get more information. Sorry I wasted your time on FChat.

15. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Skip 3M, the other two are so close it becomes more a matter of what your local Expert Installer uses. Once you shrink wrap your car the paint underneath gets locked in, swirls and all. So having the paint look as good as possible is the first goal. Second goal is a great installation. What you wrap it with, Imo, is not as critical as the first two. The odds are slim that you will own the car so long that the wrap quality matters.

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Alright guys, remember Jennifer Aniston :)? Would you rather see her nude, or nude wrapped with clear plastic? After 100,000 miles driving four different Ferraris I probably have had 15 stone chips total to fill, three or four per car. DrColorChip.com filled them easily. I'm the one guy here that says leave her naked (the Ferrari). Now if I lived in the desert with all the blowing sand I might think differently but her in NW Ohio we only have winter salt to worry about, and who is silly enough to live in the desert?:). To same money last year many areas now mix tiny stones with the salt. Even with all that (yes I drive both cars in it every day) I still have had few chips. Stay away from the rear of any trucks, that will help too.

17. jackt

jackt Rookie

Sep 21, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    jaggudada
    What is the cost to do full car and any suggestions on installers ?

18. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    How do you like the Alfa??

19. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    All our cars have at least the front wrapped. Hard to find flaws. The cross country FF got the full body wrap for traversing the desert where all kinds of stuff flies around. Don't leave home without it.

20. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It helps a lot. My talented detail man told me, "I can tell what kind of driver you are by the condition of the front, wrapped or not." Just hang back a bit. You will still have fun.

21. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    I got a full body wrap in Xpel Ultimate for about $5K. Glad I did it. Did not go for the 2 year warranty extension though