First time owner seeking help with Cali T build | FerrariChat

First time owner seeking help with Cali T build

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jb11, Jul 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jb11

Jb11 Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Hello everyone. I've been lurking around Fchat for about a year now but this is my first post. I am a current 2012 991s owner moving into my first Ferrari. I'm looking for help with my build. I plan on moving into a 488 but know I'll be way down on the allocation list with my dealer. So, what I'm looking for is help to prevent missing any "must have" options to get the full enjoyment out of the Cali T while I'm waiting (2 years??) for my 488 allocation and also a spec that will help me sell the car quickly when it's my turn to build the 488. Here's my current build:
    What I'm sure about:
    External colours – metallic Blu Tour de France (can't find a photo of this color on the Cali T)
    Internal colours Cuoio
    TPM0 TyresTyres pressure measurement
    CarpetsNero
    EMPH Horse stitched on headrest Filo speciale Blu
    LOGO Additional options'Scuderia Ferrari' shields
    AFS1 Additional options AFS System
    SKPA Additional options Foldable rear seats backrest
    RIFS Rims20" forged dark painted rims
    PAC3 Additional options Front and rear parking cameras (unsure if this is better than rear camera alone with parking sensors)
    MADM Additional options Magneride Dual Mode suspension
    CALY Brake calipers Giallo Modena brake calipers
    RPMY Rev counterYellow rev. counter
    CIDL Steering wheel Carbon fiber driver zone + LEDs (thoughts on just carbon steering wheel?)
    STC2 Special stitching (dist/thick) Filo speciale Blu

Unsure about:
    RUF1 Leather headliner Nero
    SNDB Infotainment High power HIFI System
    MIH2 Additional optionsInt/Ext electr. mirror+Home Link
    CILR Carbon fibre trim Carbon fibre central bridge

2. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    You didn't mention seats, but otherwise it is nicely optioned - you will enjoy it, and you don't have anything controversial. Color is always a personal issue, but you shouldn't get in trouble with TDF.

3. Jb11

Jb11 Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm thinking of sticking with the standard seats just with stitching options. The car I test drove had Daytona full electric seats which I liked but unless I'm burning bridges with potential buyers on resale I'd like to stick with the standard seats. I'd like the memory option but would rather that money go towards other options.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you are speccing for the next owner then memory seats might be worth reconsidering - at this point in the market most equivalents come with them it seems to me and so it might sell easier to someone who thinks that way both my partner & I can drive

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Daytona seats are very popular. And I would get the electric seats, as well, for the memory function, extra adjustability and seat heaters.

I spoke to my sales rep about the T yesterday ... his opinion was that if you are building a car with an eye toward trade or resale, $230-240k is the sweet spot on the build. Some of the pricier options -- 2 tone interior, carbon, black roof panel -- can drive the price north of $280k quickly and that money will not be seen again on the trade.

During my search for a Cali 30, magneride, daytonas, 20 inch 5-spoke rims, yellow calipers, shields and electric seats were musts. The LED wheel, camera and yellow tach would have been nice but we're not on the car I bought. I did get seat piping, stitching and the stitched horse in Nero.

The cars I was looking at were similar mileage and while the options varied, the price, generally, did not reflect that. So while a car with $15k in extra options might sell faster preowned, it might not sell for more. But a car with no options is another story. Seats are important, I think. If the dealer knows the car is coming back toward a 488 ask them what they would recommend.

That is a beautiful color, they had a 2011 on the lot and it was dazzling in the sunshine.

Good luck with the build!

6. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Nice colour man.

Talkin about the wheels of course, Blu sacks

7. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Get the US Visibility Package instead of the PAC3 & MIH2 options. It has all of this and is less than ordering the options a la carte. I would also get the full power seats and the premium stereo. I personally did not get the carbon fiber tunnel; not sure how it goes with Cuoio. I did not think the leather headliner was worth the money. I keep the top down as much as possible.

8. Jb11

Jb11 Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Thanks for the input.
    Sounds like the electric seats are on the side of must have options. Dropping the leather headliner and carbon central bridge is basically an even trade as well as saving on the visibility package instead of the individual options.

9. Jb11

Jb11 Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Been trolling the site long enough to know the TDF wouldn't get the MARMIST seal of approval. Maybe on the next car��

10. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey there,

That sounds like an amazing package and pretty much the same as mine. I didn't get the cameras, although I now wish I had. I didn't get the stereo. Didn't see the need for it. I have a great one in my Tesla if I'm wanting to listed to music instead of engine noise. :) In terms of the CF central bridge, I almost went there, but to me it kind of looked odd. Not sure why, but I left it off. Of course that is completely personal. Good luck. Can't wait to hear how you like it!

D

11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Dont think you need the AFS, Houson is pretty flat, Stereo is personal choice, i dont have the full electric, dont really miss it and i drive every day, cameras, magnaride and shields are must haves. Headliner and full home link are personal choices as are the rest.

12. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Just a personal opinion, but I'd recommend a different interior color than Cuoio. Seems to me it doesn't contrast well with a lot of F colors, including the blues. I'd recommend something a bit more tame, such as a dark color(black, charcoal, gray, etc.) or one of the lighter colors such as tan or crema.

You might ask the dealer what interior colors are most generic and popular with a wide base of clientele, as you're not buying for yourself, but for the next owner.

That said, your choice...

13. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I saw at the dealer a TDF over Cuio, the car looks great, I personally feel cuio goes with anything.

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #14 vjd3, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    I agree. I am terrified

16. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nice combo. If you are looking for resale, then items that add function will hold their value. Things that are common like shields are a must, but I am guessing that custom colored interiors are not going to add much.

17. Jb11

Jb11 Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Thanks for the pictures. It's so hard to know how colors will look together from the configurator and the small swatches they have at the dealership.

18. Jb11

Jb11 Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Also looking at the rims in those pictures has me second guessing the darker finish vs the light.

19. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #19 vjd3, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  20. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I would get the Apple CarPlay, by the time you get the Cali it will be standard in every other make of car, and it is very good to use.

21. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    Light coloured/silver rims look stunning with TDF.

22. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Before you select a dark color interior be sure to sit in a real Fcar, preferably a Cali.
    If the headliner is also dark it can be a little overwhelming.
    At least, it was to me.
    I saw a new CaliT at the dealer with an all navy interior with white stitching.
    It was stunning. Exterior was Grigio Titanio.
    But, when the top was put up everything seemed to disappear when sitting in it and this was daytime on the dealer floor.

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I like your color combination , I as others have said would definitely get the full electric seats you can just do the carbon fiber wheel and the bridge which saves some cost .. The leather head liner is nice you can drop the AFS as a cost saver .. If you fit in daytona seats they are very nice and will be a good resale item .. THe couio with black carpet looks great I have done two cars with that combination..
    best of luck with the order..

24. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I must be the one of the few who prefers the aluminum bridge.

25. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Agreed -cuoio goes with a lot of colours. Just can't wrap my head around someone spending this sort of money wondering what the next guy/girl is going to want - makes no sense.