After market Apple CarPlay | FerrariChat

After market Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by fc3288, Jul 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hey guys

In case if you want to install apply CarPlay after, Ferrari has started to provide the Apple CarPlay after market installation at the genuine accessories spare parts

I was not able to order the CarPlay last june which was not available at that time. I'll be the first to install the after market CarPlay at Japan next week

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm really curious how much they charge because you can get a complete Pioneer deck with Apple play for less than $1000.

3. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    That's a good news. Thank you for sharing the information.

How's it going? Have you already installed carplay?

I'm thinking of buying a Cali T now, but Ferrari in my country doesn't provide an option of carplay so far. So I wonder whether ferrari will provide aftermarket installation to Cali T or not.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm not getting a lot of enthusiasm from the factory or the local dealer regarding upgrades. I sent in my requests via the factory web announcement months ago, also emailed the dealer; but so far nada on infotainment upgrades.

It takes two to tango so I may end up going aftermarket.

5. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

Further update

Ferrari Italy factory took about 1 month to set up my CarPlay kit and than sent to my dealer at Japan. It is a replacement of my existing information unit. However, a electricity cable between the unit and monitor is not sent together with the package. Need to have it be sent again but Ferrari factory is in summer holiday between 3-23AUG. Thus my dealer have to assembly back and release the car to me until they receive the necessary cable. Hopefully at end of this month. Therefore I'm not able to use it until early SEP. I think this CarPlay after market option cause me approximately US$5000. More less same as you order at the option from beginning.

You should double check with your dealer and apple web site because Apple CarPlay is not available at some countries at this moment. I'm an apple user and have used at my last Porsche( after market, pioneer). The CarPlay experience is amazing.

Lindexter likes this.
  6. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

Here is my experience.

Try to contact Ferrari Italy customer service, they will help you. I first contacted them and asked if I can install. The customer service came back to me with a yes answer and than I talk to my dealer which by that time, my dealer didn't know after market CarPlay option can be installed.

To be honest, everything from Italy is SLOW.

[email protected]

7. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

It's approximately at US$5000 which is more or less same as you order as option from beginning. I used pioneer at my Porsche 911 before but I think the origin information has a great interaction with the whole car experience.

8. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
  9. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Ok, this is scary.
    At your dealer, Fred?

10. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

Agree, this is bit scary when I saw it. My dealer will put back my Cali tomorrow and than wait for the missing cable to be sent from Italy.

Anyway, it's a good experience to see that there so many parts under the seat

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fred, please tell me your car was at the dealer for more work than just an infortainment system replacement when this photo was taken. That is a lot of work and paneling that came off the cabin! :eek:

The $5000 price tag is not a surprise but it would be interesting to compare features and benefits between the factory CarPlay unit and the aftermarket units. The lack of phone integration in my Cali30 unit is a major disappointment - the thing doesn't even pick up my phone list so I'm left to having to dial phone numbers on a small keypad, assuming I recall the numbers. It's really only good for answering calls and the mic pickup is not bad.

The other feature that would matter to me is a proper SAT/NAV. My unit essentially has VGA, MS Windows 1.0 look/feel, lack of common sense functionality. I'm not that put off by the sound quality and probably could do with just a more powerful amp.

As for iOS apps, I'm not sure I want to Text or run apps from the car. Judging from the hacking that is currently plaguing FCA vehicles in the US, I'd rather play it safe. Luckily in Canada, the authorities do not allow WiFi access from cars and the feature does not exist in Canadian cars, so there may be differences in features between US and Canadian (and European?) infortainment systems.

12. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    I'm curious as to what you end up doing Michael. The Bluetooth phone connection on my 2010 Cali does not retain the pairing and the nav system won't allow me to save my home location. Dealer is looking at it now. So far I am underwhelmed by the stock infotainment system or the value add of the factory upgrade - aftermarket would seem to be the way to go, but how many audio shops have experience installing on a Ferrari?

13. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
  14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My car is approaching 3 years of ownership but I just love the overall package so I've been considering some upgrades. However, down time would be significant so I'd do them over the winter since I don't live in sunny Florida. I'll report back if I decide to proceed with them.

I hope your dealer fixes the infotainment system problems soon. Try entering your home location as a new entry in your address book and call it HOME.

15. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes you're right. it's not only the carplay but together with the parking camera both front and rear. I placed my order with the parking camera but found out that there were not installed when I receive my car this Jan. Of course, I got refund from dealer but when I found out that it can be install last month, I've ask my dealer to do it.

Anyway my dealer told me don't worry that they have no problem to put back as origin( of course) . Before they showed me my Cali, my dealer told me that it would be a shock to see

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    LOL. Thank goodness, I was worried! And yes, you're right about the front+rear cameras. IMO, they are indispensable.

The front sensors on my Cali30 are almost useless and because they sometimes do pick up the presence of the parking space marker or the curb, they are actually dangerous because at other times they don't work at all so they mislead you (yes, I do press the Reverse button to activate the front sensor before inching forward). A camera view is much more useful.

The only time I find my front sensors useful is when they pick up side objects as I reverse into a tight parking spot.

17. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Definitely problems your dealer needs to sort out--my 2010 Cali has neither issue.

18. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    fred:
    this proves the cali was built around the radio!

19. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #19 Winfield, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Thank you!

Apple CarPlay has been available in my country since iOS 8.3, which was released this spring. And there's some cars of other brands with CarPlay available now.

But my Ferrari dealer, which is the only dealer in my city, told me that they don't have CarPlay option at this time. And they're not sure whether it can be installed in the future. Actually, they don't know anything about CarPlay at all.

Maybe I'd better to contact Ferrari Italy for information. But I don't know if I can use that customer service email because I'm not a Ferrari owner yet.

But if it can be installed aftermarket, then maybe I don't need to worry about it now. Anyway, I won't need a new car to use CarPlay whenever it's available in my country.

20. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hi Winfield

I suggest you contact Ferrari customer service direct. I do agree sometime, the dealer is lack of information. In my experience at Japan, my dealer at the beginning, didn't know that carplay was available at Cali T even when I asked him when I placed my order.

Even if you haven't placed your order, you may try to contact customer service for assistance to find out. It is better you include the carplay option from the beginning. You may tell them that you're going to place order and want to make sure.

[email protected]

My Cali came back yesterday in one piece except the center unit (carplay) is not function yet

Have to wait after 23AUG until Ferrari Italy summer holiday is finished

Good luck

Fred

21. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    Fred:

Thank you for your advice!

I've sent the mail just now.

Hoping customer service is working now during summer holiday.

Good luck for your installation, too.

By the way, how long before you got reply from customer service at the first time?

22. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, $4,371 on my 2016 T

23. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

Good to hear that

Normally they will response to you in 1-2 days either with an answer or they'll tell you that they need to check with conceded departments.
    However, I think the customer service department also in summer holiday, may be you won't get any response until 23AUG

BTW which country you are?

Fred

24. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #24 Winfield, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Actually they replied me just in a day. It seems like the customer service department is working as usual now.

But just as you said, they told me they need to ask the market department to find out and would inform me as soon as they get answer. They also said since it's in summer closure, it might take a bit longer to get further information. I think maybe 'a bit longer' means 'after 23AUG'.

I'm in China. Actually, my dealer said because Cali T is the best selling Ferrari car now, they have already placed some orders with some popular extra options such as CD Readers, cameras, etc., in order to shorten waiting time. 2 of them almost meet all my needs only except Apple CarPlay. The good thing is, if I take one of them, I can get my car as soon as October, which is 4 months earlier than place a new order.

So, now that we know CarPlay can be installed to a existing Cali T thanks to your experience, I'm considering that it may be a good choice to take an order from my dealer and install CarPlay afterwards. But as I'm a first-time sports car buyer, I'm not very sure about it. Do you have any advice about that?

Thanks!

Winfield

25. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

Normally, if you order your own, mostly it takes 6 months to be delivered. If you're willing to pay extra approximate US10000 for air freight, it will cut 1 month cause by sea, it will take 40-59 days from Italy to Asia.

I know that waiting for 6 month is a lot of pain but when I receive my ordered Cali T, it's worth at all. Special I pick up the California rosso new color. If one of the pre-order Cali T from dealer meets your preference, it is good to have it that fast at October. You can always install after if you need. However design(order) you own is a lot of fun. Specially when your car is ready for manufacturing, Ferrari will send you a link, photos show your car in production line etc. thus it depends if you want it as quickest as possible or you want your own design.

Let me know when you decide.

Fred