Gentex Rearview Mirror/Homelink Retrofit | FerrariChat

Gentex Rearview Mirror/Homelink Retrofit

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SoFLFerrari, Aug 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Anyone have experience replacing the stock Cali rearview mirror with a Gentex auto-dimming, compass & HomeLink unit? The right model seems to be 50-GENK45AM4, but the Mito corp phone rep wasn't certain.

2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Would be interested in what you learn.
    Can you keep us posted?
    Thanks.

3. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Will do. I spoke with the MITO Gentex rep and they were concerned that the rake of the windshield might be too extreme for the Gentex rearview mirror. I read on another post that MITO did not recommend the Gentex mirror for any Ferrari. I'm going to keep digging into this.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Why not get the OEM Ferrari mirror with HomeLink?

5. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher

I did exactly that, but the price might be off putting to some--it's $1800.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Understood, but this car costs $225k+, so why put an aftermarket mirror on it? It's less than 1% of the cost!

7. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    I don't mind spending money (hell, I just bought a Ferarri!), but I need to feel I am getting value for that money. By adding replacing the stock mirror which came with the car with one with an embedded HomeLink I'm eliminating the need to carry a garage door opener. Is that worth $1,800? The MITO Gentex rear view mirror costs $329 list, 3 hours of Ferrari service tech adds $1,500. My gut tells me this is something I should be able to do myself. Maybe not?

I'd also like to upgrade the sun visors & stock infotainment system with something a bit more state of the art.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 4th_gear, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    I'm not familiar with the MITO Gentex product but I think it needs to be a seamless integration of a superior solution or else it would detract from the overall appeal of your Fcar. I agree Factory prices and labour rates (is it really $500/hr?) are kind of exorbitant but I think you have to weigh the overall costs vs value of an upgrade on a Ferrari.

I would heed the advice of the MITO Gentex rep and study the idea more carefully before diving in. Perhaps you are very adapt at doing professional level upgrades but maybe there is a more compatible solution out there. I think you want to make sure any DYI project on your Fcar is 100% reversible in case it doesn't turn out as well as expected.

A lot also depends on whether you intend to keep the car for a long time or if you prefer to trade cars after a couple of years. If it's the latter, you need to make sure the car looks original or its trade-in value will suffer.

9. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    I'm with you there Michael. I love the car and can't see myself parting with it, but you never know. I want everything on my 'artwork-for-the-garage' looking PERFECT if only for my personal satisfaction!

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1 Art! ;)

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had a stock home link mirror added to my spider for free when I bought it. Definitely worth it! But they had to add power to the mirror and it got done badly resulting in a frequent battery short and necessary tow... Until they found the short after half a dozen tows!

Now all better!

SV

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I agree! But then I paid for the home link and the magnaride and the forged diamond rims!

13. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Well, I agree too. I was just trying to suggest what others' motivations might be.

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I have home link on my Ferrari, cannot use it as will not link with my Garage, same issue with the Maserati. I use a small garage door opener which I keep in the cup holder without taking away my cup experience. 39.95 at home depot

15. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Good point, HomeLink can be fussy. It works consistently without a problem on my wife's SLK550, but my E550 periodically forgets the code and I have to reprogram.

16. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    As it turns out my garage door opener is ANCIENT and won't connect to new remote openers so no point in considering an replacement mirror until I replace the garage door opener.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk