Radio head unit upgrade | FerrariChat

Radio head unit upgrade

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jasonrhcastle, Aug 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jasonrhcastle

jasonrhcastle Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    Hey guys. Got a question.

I was scheduled to get a new head unit to replace the POS OEM head unit in my 2012 California.

Since I have decided to keep the car for several more years before buying another, I wanted to get something that would allow better phone integration, so on.

However, I was told by the installer that a simple head unit swap (obviously with routing wiring and so on) was not possible. When the installer spoke to his Ferrari contact he was told that "too much of the car's info is stored on the head unit" and that it would "exact multiple error codes".

Has anyone had any success in replacing the OEM unit? If so, what was your setup?

TIA...

Jason

2. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    What brand/kind of head unit are you trying to install? I'm installing a Pioneer AVIC-6100NEX CarPlay, Radio, CD/DVD, Phone,Nav system in my 2010 Cali and they needed something called an "integration harness" to get it to function.

3. jasonrhcastle

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    I am looking at the Kenwood 9902s.

Do they have the integration harness? Or, are able to get it?

J

4. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    #4 SoFLFerrari, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While researching the various alternatives for improving on the abysmal stock infotainment system on my 2010 Cali the Nav system died. Bluetooth already wasn't working and for some odd reason the Nav system would not store my home location. I suspected a impending hard drive failure, so an upgrade was on the horizon anyway, but the death of the NAV system me into doing something.

Rather than spend $5K on a factory upgrade to the latest Dodge Durango head unit I opted for a state of the art Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. The unit supports both Android Auto & Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth phone & streaming audio, NAV, Sirius, steering wheel controls, as well as support for front and rear end cameras (I opted to add an Alpine rear view camera - I got used to having a rear view camera on my Mercedes E550, but which was MIA from the Cali). To get all this to work with the Cali's onboard computer I needed something called an integration harness (M.O.S.T. NAV TV Adaptor speced for a a Maserati).

While I was at it I upgraded the speakers, the factory speakers were made of cardboard, to a set of high performance JL Speakers fed by an JL Audio HX280 4-channel producing 70 watts per speaker.

The installation was supposed to take 2 days, but ended up taking 5. All in all the upgraded head unit, rear view camera, and audio system came in at $4K including installation.

Installation was done by Sound Advice in Boca Raton, FL. I can't say enough good things about sales manager Paul Pagan and head installer Sonny for helping me to configure the system and who persisted to figure out how to make it all work (Ferrari does not make it easy).

And man does it work! Crisp, beautiful sound, advanced user friendly GUI, rock-solid Sirius reception, the flexibility to support both Android Drive and Apple CarPlay, hand-free bluetooth phone/steaming audio, self updating NAV, app download, and a rear view camera. The system retains the Ferrari logo on the startup screen and allows for uploading and personalization of wallpaper. My Cali now has the audio system it deserves.

Attached are photos of the original head unit, the new Pioneer unit, my poor car all torn apart, and the rear view camera.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BigThurst67 and whatheheck like this.
  5. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey Wavey38, wouldn't the Nav system repair have been covered under warranty?

6. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Hey Bruma - it might have although the unit is 5 years old and the car itself is out of warranty. The dealer also looked at it and wasn't able to come up with a simple fix. Even if they had fixed it I still would have faced the same issue every owner of an early edition Cali faces .... What to do about the underwhelming infotainment system.

I tested out the new system driving around downtown Delray Beach last night. Top down, music playing, switching between Sirius, Bluetooh streaming my cycling playlist, etc. Sweet!

7. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Can you post some photos of the new screen displays while running, such as start up, Nav map and anything else which looks helpful?

8. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    #8 SoFLFerrari, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There are way too many screens to include them all. Everything is customizable though and the screen is fully touch (e.g. pinch to zoom out) and voice-control enabled (although Ihaven't quite figured out how to use that yet). I tried to take images of the Android Auto screen but the phone will not let me take photos when it is tethered (via USB) to the radio unit (which is a requirement for both Google Android Auto and Apple CarPlay).

I am sure there are other similarly featured radio systems out there - the key is finding an installer that can handle a Ferrari. The guys I used at Sound Advice in Boca Raton are rock stars.

Feel free to ask questions.

res1afbe, 430tdf, Raj seth and 2 others like this.
  9. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That looks great! It doesn't take away from the original look much as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Triple wow!!!
    You must be very happy with this.
    Thanks for the photos.

Sounds like a key part is the right installer.
    How many days did you give up the car for the install?
    Anyone have any installer leads for NorCal?

11. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    The job was supposed to take a full day but ended up taking 5. Assembly and disassembly of the dash took forever. I was ecstatic that the various splash screens were customizable - the guys at Sound Advice were so excited to be working on a Ferrari that they pre-loaded a bunch of Ferrari logos including the original from the prior radio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. jasonrhcastle

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    You think your installers would be willing to talk to my installers? These guys I am using in Lexington are awesome, they have just never done a Ferrari newer than the F430.

Let me know. Looks awesome.

13. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Hey Jason - I'll PM you. These guys work hard for their living and I'm not sure if the installer community is as collaborative as the Ferrari community is, but they might be more helpful if you gave him a gift card or something like that. I tipped the installer Sonny when the work was done.

I was thinking about an F430 but went for the Cali instead. The F4390 has some gorgeous lines .. still makes me drool.

And yeah, I'm loving the new audio system and infotainment unit.

14. noahprtlnd

noahprtlnd Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    The phone can't connect with Android Auto or Car Play via Bluetooth?

15. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That looks great - does the song title/channel still show up on the left screen on the console (next to the tach)?

Thanks,
    Erik

16. smoocheese

smoocheese Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Would like to ask the same question

Does the dash display still show track name and other information?

Also could you be so kind as to link the exact harness used?i suspect the jeep harness that uses the same mygig head unit would work too but not sure

Tried googling for the most nav harness for maserati and cant find it

17. matthoops23

matthoops23 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Great info here on the upgrade entertainment/nav system on the Cali. I have a '10 Cali that I am thinking about upgrading the system on...any recommendations in Southern California for installers?

18. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
  19. jcarb123

jcarb123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    John Carbonaro
    Does anyone know what integration harness is needed for a 2012 calling a pioneer 8200nex? Im looking for the harness that connects direct into the Ferrari Harness in the car to the Pionner harness. Also, what do I need to keep the radio controls on the steering wheel, Ferrari rear view camera etc.?

Sammi likes this.
  20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Bravo!

Great upgrade and pics.

I wanted to do this with my Cali, but was worried about how it would look and function.

This is the way to update the legacy system!

21. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I really want to have this done .. i'm in NJ and have struggled to find an installer i could trust. If anyone has a recommendation would be appreciated

22. ViperDocVA

ViperDocVA Rookie

Dec 29, 2015
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian

Could you comment on screen visibility in bright daylight? I actually tried the "Ferrari Genuine" upgrade for my 2010 California but hated it for [among other reasons] completely invisible screen in bright sunlight. The OEM receiver is almost as bad, but the stock receiver in my Porsche has a wonderful, bright display that I can read with sunlight shining right on it, even with my sunglasses on - so I know it's possible to have a daylight - visible screen.

23. Abildskov

Abildskov Rookie

Jun 28, 2017
    Hi Guys

I am looking for a person, who has upgraded there radio to a pioneer radio ?

Do I need to buy the Ferrari upgrade kit or is it possible to wire the radio with the wires from the old radio.

Looking forward for a helping person.

Really tired of the Ferrari Old radio..

Thanks

Gert
    mail: [email protected]

24. Abildskov

Abildskov Rookie

Jun 28, 2017
    Hi Guys

Can you please help with installation information about how to make the wires.
    Do the radio need can bus device to work inside the california

Thanks

Gert Abildskov

25. Clipper49

Clipper49 Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    England, UK
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'd also love to know about replacing the head unit. Mine is an early California so is now really outdated and the iPod connectivity has packed up.