Gearbox warning light | FerrariChat

Gearbox warning light

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Shoffman, Aug 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Tooling around in relatively new Cali T and just got a red gearbox failure warning light all of a sudden. Does anyone have any experience with this and can tell what's likely going on. Do I need to call dealer and have car looked at? Car still starts-up fine with no warning light on display. Thx!

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    When the F1 light comes on in a Maserati---it's like the grim reaper in your mirror. Hope your experience is less daunting.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Depending on what else is happening with the car, these warning lights can be spurious sometimes but then sometimes they're not. That's why they are warning lights. You're better off to report this to your dealer because they'll be the ones on the nut if something goes wrong later. No one here can be held responsible if we give you the wrong advice.

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have a 14 Cali. The transmission failure light came on at 900 miles and it was shifting in odd gears only. I had my dealer pick up the car and reboot the TCU. It has been fine ever since. I personally think the Cali needs to stay connected to the trickle charger provided with the car. I think a low battery in this car produces electronic errors.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Does it do it after shutting down the Cali and opening the door (restarting the computers). If so then I would disconnect the battery for a moment, hook it back up and try it again. If that works you will still need to reset your date/time.

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Oddly enough this happened to me today riding on the interstate. I pulled off to the side, turned the engine off, opened the door, waited a few seconds, shut the door, locked the car. I made sure to sit very still as I didn't want to set the alarm off since I was still sitting in the driver's seat. I then waited about 10 seconds, unlocked the car, turned the engine back on and it disappeared. I emailed FoA a screenshot of the red gear, explained what happened and my procedure and they said "sounds like a minor Italian electrical gremlin, just keep me posted if it returns". My guess is it could be batter related but for the time being I'm must going to keep my eye on it if it returns.

7. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Unfortunately after a few days my warning light came back on. Cars in the shop now for this and air bag recall. So far, dealer hasn't been able to fix the gearbox light issue and is now asking Ferrari what to do, like possible software update. Very disappointing for a $300k car; never any problems like this on my Porsches or even my 06 jag-xkr!

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Just had to say although I have been a Porsche Club of America member for 30 years now, having owned three 928's, the Porsche experience doesn't come close to the Ferrari Experience! They are better than the Prius experience but not by a huge amount. (Now the local PCA chapter will throw me out :D)

9. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Same here Showoffmwn... Mine came on again on Wednesday so I brought it in. Dealer took codes sent them to Ferrari North America. It wasn't a "hard" code (meaning it's not there when the car goes off and then on again). Ferrari North America is now asking the technician to drive my car with diagnostic equipment hooked up both in a cold start and warm start scenario to see if they can get the warning light to come on while hooked up to the equipment. Since this has only happened twice ever to my car I'm doubtful of the odds.

May be a software thing but who knows at this point...

10. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    PS. What dealer is your car with? Maybe our techs can compare notes? Mine is Ferrari of Atlanta.

11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Never had these issues with my Skate Board Either !