Emergency Brake | FerrariChat

Emergency Brake

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by flaparty, Aug 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flaparty

flaparty Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Just bought a 2101 California, I'm still confused as to whether the emrgency brake automatically comes on when you park the car and whether it automatically releases when you put the car in gear after you start it.
    Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #2 greyboxer, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Owners handbook seems pretty clear that engine off = brake on & gradual release when vehicle starts up (approx 3.86)

Which is basically SOP for any car with an automatic handbrake

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO, it's not the best idea to ask Fchat for advice on potentially complex matters that could result in damage to your car, or worse. These cars can be very complicated and there can be situations not covered by ordinary experience or even the owner's manual.

At any rate, here's a link to fetch a PDF copy of the owner's manual in case you need one. From my experience, there is at least one undocumented problem with the EPB (Electronic parking brake). When I first got my car I drove it for 6 hours and at one point I made the mistake of putting the car in neutral before turning off the engine and releasing the foot brake. I was used to driving a stick-shift. On that occasion the car did not activate the EPB and it continued to roll forward perilously. Luckily I caught it in time and there was no damage as a result.

I think your best approach is simply to get some hands-on experience with the car. Learn about it first hand. Drive it on occasions when you are not in a rush or have to show the car to anyone. It's a wonderful car. Enjoy. ;)

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    4th is correct, be sure to re-read the owner's manual a few times. When you shut the Cali off be sure it is in 1st or Reverse, not Neutral and it will usually put itself in Park. I say usually because there are times that it will stay in Neutral for no special reason. There is the silly Car Wash Mode too that sometimes I get the notice. It happens when I pull in the garage, put in Neutral as I coast in and forget to put back in 1st as I shut it down. Often though a few seconds later it goes into park anyway.

I just got my 2016 Cali and Thursday it gave me a warning that it was NOT in Park upon shutting it down properly. I moved it and it did the same thing so I got out and pushed it to be sure it was actually not going to roll away. After that one session all has been well. Who knows, these things happen, thankfully not often.

5. flaparty

flaparty Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for all the help!

6. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I shut down my Cali T I watch for the blinking rep PARK indicator in the upper right to flash to be sure it is on.