T Performance | FerrariChat

T Performance

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RickLederman, Sep 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Did some playing with my 2016 California T today ... My '12 Cali could do 0-140-0 in maybe 4,200 feet. My '16 T seems to do 0-160-0 in the same distance, maybe less, and the T may well outperform my FF! My '12 became boring (sort of :D) to drive except on top down days after getting my FF since the FF is so much more powerful. This T is equal or better!

Braking, after a stop from 150 or so the older Cali's and the FF still stop well but need significantly more brake pressure. This '16 T brakes even better after multiple stops from 150 or so, even requiring less brake pressure. This car is very simply amazing!!!

Carplay is pretty cool. I have passed to Ferrari a couple minor software problems in the car but all together it is near perfect. It still goes POW when you upshift, and downshifts are met with equal bangs if done at the correct rpm. The exhaust is much quieter at idle and I can no longer win the Rev Your Engine competition at car shows as it is quieter and spins down slower due to the turbo air pressure, but who cares. This T is amazing and FAST and F U N. It is taking some time to get used to the lower RPM limit, I keep hitting the limiter when shifting by the sound of the engine, but I am getting better.

2. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sounds like a great car! I'm always amazed at how well Ferrari makes the "old" model feel antiquated when their new versions are released. It's hard to imagine they can keep it up with the impressive performance on all of their cars now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Rick,

Thanks for the write up, great to get the perspective of a multiple FCar owner who drives really drives them like they were designed to be driven. I loved mine right off the bat, but now I'm even a bit more excited.

:) :) :)

4. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks for sharing Rick...I was really curious to hear how your new T stacked up against your FF. Same or better...that is very impressive for an 8 cyl turbo to give you that same rush as 12 cyl NA.

It really speaks volumes on how much Ferrari puts into fine tuning these vehicles.

How did you feel your handling compares to your FF and previous Calis?

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks Ron. The T is lighter feeling than the FF. The FF is more comfortable. The T has too much power in first gear for all but the stickiest roads as the traction light constantly flashes and when I shift to 2nd it suddenly will hook up well. The FF is 4WD so there is a lot more rubber on the road so it hooks up better but has more horsepower. After first gear they actually may be equal. It will be interesting to try the T on a measured mile on a runway to see how it really compares.

Now I've learned that the T keeps the exhaust bypass open above 3,000 rpm, so it is simple, keep the rpm above 3K :) to make the extra noise. The (original) Cali needed the same engine speeds as well but the T is significantly quieter with the exhaust bypass closed. Many would opt for a manual exhaust opener but I'm very happy to control it with my right foot. It is easy.

The T accelerator pedal is FAR less sensitive compared to a Cali or my FF. The T brakes are way more sensitive. That will be difficult between the two cars to adjust to switching between cars.

I also noticed the red lights on the controls for the cabin air are very dim in the T, very hard to see unless it is dark out. The Cali and FF are equally brighter than the T.

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Agree on the T's brakes and hard to see cabin air lights.

7. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    0-200-0 the ff will kill it. :)

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, since the Cali will only make 195 :D

9. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Very interesting to hear Rick. To be able to compare power to your FF, the new Cali must be special indeed! Happy to hear you're enjoying it so much :)

Also makes me less apprehensive about the eventual FF replacement. The inevitability of Ferrari ditching the V12 and replacing it with a TT V8 filled me with dread! It's all very well people suggesting hanging on to the V12 model, but if you use the car as a DD, you can only hang on to it for so long! Maybe a TT V8 won't be such a disappointment? You must have considered this too? What's you're take?

Apologies, this probably fits in more in the FF/F12 section, but as you brought up the comparison........!

Appreciate your input.

Mac.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    For someone with a chronic lead foot, I find it hard to believe that the T has a less sensitive accelerator pedal. :)

Maybe you are not used to a slight lag--turbo lag. Maybe that first 0.1 second!

11. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Great question. Perhaps you can start a thread in the FF/F12 section sharing your POV on this? :)

12. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    I agree - i think its a much better all around car that the previous generation.

I have so far only put 100 miles on mine but it seems to be a good time. I also un-plugged the valves for the time being until we decide on an exhaust solution.

Cant wait to add the Novitec N-Tronic Next week :)

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Keep the RPM above 3,000 and the exhaust valve stays open :). It sounds very good cruising through our little town in 1st or 2nd at 3K.

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I won't guess on a FF replacement. I'd bet anything a few years ago against a Cali with turbos. If they do a TT V8 in the FF hopefully they also offer a V12, better would be a TT V12 :D. The ONLY thing missing on the Cali T is a proper Ferrari V12 sound! Guess Ferrari could offer a TT V8 along with a stereo from an Audi, Beeemmmmerrr, or Mustang that makes it Sound like a V12 :D? :D

15. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    HAHA - I know, I agree. But valves open is fun too haha.