Car wash | FerrariChat

Car wash

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by schwoo, Sep 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I have always babied my California. Always washed it myself, by hand. A new automatic car wash just opened nearby. Ran our Range Rover through and it did a excellent job.

So I'm curious, have any of you ran your California through a automatic car wash?

Tempted to run my California through.

Thanks so much.

2. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    Cquartz it and I would be more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Over the years, who has not had a problem with automatic car washes?
    Sounds like Russian roulette to me.

4. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Depends on whether or not it is touchless. I run my daily driver through a touchless for washing (actually safer IMO than washing by hand, as it minimizes physical contact with the paint), but the chemicals are a bit too strong for me to consider doing it with one of the nicer cars.

5. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I won't even drive near a car wash... And I have Suntek on every panel...

Hand wash with San Pellegrino... ;)

6. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Pellegrino..... that's hilarious! Thanks

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    :D I can hardly stand it ... I don't even let my dealer wash my cars after they work on them. I have Esoteric Detail tidy up the paint and it looks wet after they finish. A car wash is just asking for swirl marks again, or even scratches! Then what might hit the wheels, or under the car?

Please understand that I daily drive both of my Ferraris, putting 15,000 miles or so on EACH of them so I am not babying them, just using Esoteric's methods to wash the car which are very simple and common sense.

Now, if you don't care about your paint or car's body parts then a car wash is OK (and you are probably driving a Prius :D)

8. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Rick using the P word... Ouch!

9. spiderman1299

spiderman1299 Rookie

Aug 19, 2015
    I agree with Andrew. The touch-less car wash is the only way to go if its not being washed by hand. Anything with brushes will mar the paint causing it to lose its luster over time.

10. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Oh come on. If you want it to be a daily driver, get it wrapped at least front through front fenders. But stuff will still happen. That's part of being a DD. I took all my Porsches, from lowly boxsters to 911 Turbos, through car washes. If it's a DD, you shouldn't fear taking it to a car wash. (Just remember to put it in Car Wash Mode (see the owners manual) since the automatic parking brake will otherwise engage.)

Tom

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If they use strong chemicals, that will harm your paint and rubber and plastic trim. It doesn't matter the kind of car.

I used to let those mobile wash guys clean my Mercedes in the parking lot where my office is located.

I noticed that the MB badges got worn --I mean the color faded off and so did the center caps.
    At first I thought this was due to age. So I replaced them and within a year it happened again.

Not due to age. Due to harsh chemicals!

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I wash my own cars so I can periodically inspect them for damage.

13. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    word to the wise:
    never was an exotic in an automatic car wash.

14. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Even touchless can affect paint. High pressure spray combined with chemicals over time will affect your clear coat. Not to mention the not quite clean rags used to wipe it off.

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    120,000+ miles in my Ferraris since 2009 and never a automatic car wash. When I get too old to wash it myself I will (gag) switch to a Prius, then hopefully someone here is kind enough to shoot me :)

16. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Nope. You will pay someone you trust to do it.

17. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Rick, if you sell your Cali T and FF and replace them with a Prius, I will indeed fly up and shoot you.

You can count on me... :)

18. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve

Hey, I drive a Prius! What are you trying to say? 😊

Just kidding, although I went mentally insane a few years back and bought one. Wow did I detest that car. Traded it for a BMW (respectable in my book)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    One thing I should mention is that I do take the time to tape any anodized areas before going through a touchless (the chemicals are harsh on anodized finishes). I also bring a few microfibers with me to dry the car. Like I said earlier, I like minimizing the amount of physical contact with the paint, so touchless washes have worked well for me. I would never let a dealer wash it.