Dearth of California DIYs and a Plea for Help | FerrariChat

Dearth of California DIYs and a Plea for Help

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomconte, Sep 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    I'm an engineer by training and have always (always) modded my cars, even just as much as swapping a head unit or adding a hardwired radar detector.

Now with a 2013 California30, I'm finding a surprising absence of any DIY information. I've heard that California owners like writing checks more than turning wrenches, but I can't believe that as a 100% absolute truth. There's gotta be more like me who want to tweak their cars.

Thus, if you know of any DIY for the California/30 or T, please post it and we can collect it here.

I'm planning to disassemble the dash to get to the head unit to add a backup camera. It sounds like an ordeal. When I figure it out, I promise to post my own DIY on it.

Tom

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How about collecting it in the California section ?

More recent owners are reluctant to maintain or mod themselves for many reasons including concerns about compromising the extended warranty & maintenance programs

3. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    I'm an engineer by training and have always (always) modded my cars, even just as much as swapping a head unit or adding a hardwired radar detector.

Now with a 2013 California30, I'm finding a surprising absence of any DIY information. I've heard that California owners like writing checks more than turning wrenches, but I can't believe that as a 100% absolute truth. There's gotta be more like me who want to tweak their cars.

Thus, if you know of any DIY for the California/30 or T, please post it and we can collect it here.

I'm planning to disassemble the dash to get to the head unit to add a backup camera. It sounds like an ordeal. When I figure it out, I promise to post my own DIY on it.

Tom

4. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Ok, I posted this to the California forum on your suggestion

5. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    My impression is that model is, like most modern cars, not DIY friendly given all the electronic doodads. They are designed to be plugged into a diagnostic machine and serviced from there. Also the typical owner is not a DIY guy. Of all the California owners I have met not one is a wrench. So, I wish you well on your difficult quest.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you haven't done so already you might want to look through the other threads for discussions and/or photos of other people's infotainment upgrades. I presume you already have some assembly drawings of the car.

This post on an earlier thread shows the extent of the dis-assembly of the dash that was involved with Wavey38's infotainment upgrade on his 2010 Cali. Here's a lightened version of the photo from his post:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Personally-speaking I would not touch the dashboard because unless I have a fair bit of experience I would likely break fasteners and I may also end up with squeaks and noises from the re-assembled dash. I would also not want to kick myself afterwards, every time I hear something unusual from the dash.

OTOH, I've swapped engine compartment components, made minor body modifications and wiring upgrades on my BMWs without problems but I would consider those mods to be more straightforward and less potentially problematic than pulling a dash.

7. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I paid FoSV to add a rear backup camera to my 2010 and it was quite a bit of work. The camera plugged into the head unit without much issue, but I believe they had to modify a support bracket to get the wiring to all fit back in the tiny space behind the unit. From there, it was pretty easy - they routed the wire to the rear license plate area and I have a camera attached there. I can remove it someday if I decide I don't want it. The radio automatically recognized the camera and it turns on when you engage reverse.

I believe "Gene" from Seattle was the first to do this, and my dealer contacted his to get the scoop on which camera to use and how to hook it up. When I got my 2010, reverse cameras weren't yet an option.

8. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    #8 tomconte, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for sharing. Yeah, that's the sequence I suspected from the photo of Wavey38's car that I posted... reason why I posted it. ;) However, I'm not sure why the fellow also removed the centre ventilation nozzles above the infotainment system.

Good luck with the "mod" and please let us know how you like the upgrade!

10. kalifornia

kalifornia Rookie

Feb 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Tom,
    Were you able to add the backup camera?
    Can you share with me your expiernce, i'm thinking to do the same.

Thanks.