Magnaride on the California T? | FerrariChat

Magnaride on the California T?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by gircal, Oct 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gircal

gircal Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick G
    I'm trying to determine whether a California T I'm considering has magnaride. Does anyone
    know or would someone look at the front dampers to find the damper number on those
    on a magnaride car. Thank you.

2. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If magnaride option was installed there will be a button on the steering wheel above the Start Engine button, with a damper image on it.

3. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

Just above the start button

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. gircal

gircal Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick G
    That is the answer ... thanks.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Just ask the seller!

The next question is "Is magniride really worth it?"

All the other models which outperform the Cali: the 458, the speciale, the aperta, the FF , the F12, the next gen 488 gtb, the LaFerrari-- these models all have the Magniride as standard.

So for greater handling performance the Magniride is essential.

on a limited budget some will choose the embroidered horsey on the headrest, the contrasting stitching, the fender shields and the chrome or partially chrome grill, and even the hi fi or fancy seat.

I think lighter stronger forged wheels and better suspension are even more important.

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Looking at 2011s. I considered this option a must have - thoughts?

ScottS

7. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    I have a 2015 and drove it from Italy to London via the alps and loved the Magnaride. Made the car really comfortable yet still had the spark and zing! Would never get another one without it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Is magna-ride by default always on? (i'm assuming it's a tighter ride)... & and pressing the button the suspension gets switched into "bumpy ride mode" or in other words softer ride? (at least that's what I recall seeing pop u on my screen...). Otherwise I have not used it. I do prefer a tighter ride, am I missing out on this bc I don't use the button?

Thx

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Have it, always on, always in sport, love the way the car handles. No idea how it would without it, but love it the way it is :)

10. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I've driven a car without it and I felt the car handled and drove just fine. Many dealers have a Cali demo, see if you can go for a ride in one with and one without and compare for yourself.

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Magneride provides two levels of shock absorber stiffness. In Sport they are very firm but not Corvette hard. In Comfort they are significantly softer but not stupid soft. The difference is quite significant. On my third Cali now and I consider it mandatory.

12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ok, but what does the button do? Turn it off?

Iow, I drive in sport all the time , I consider the ride nice and tight. If I press that button above the start button is mana-ride defeated or changed? Why have the button, is what I'm wondering. If I want a softer ride I could just move the switch to comfort. I guess I could read up on it, but asking here is so muchmore reliable :)

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    On the original California, if you had Magneride, the manettino setting controlled everything, so you got the softer suspension in Comfort, as well as the quieter exhaust, and whatever else they might adjust -- shift points, throttle response, etc. When you put it in Sport, you got the firmer suspension.

If I understand the T correctly, the shock button allows you to use the car in Sport but change the suspension to "bumpy road" mode, which softens it up, not quite as soft as it would be in Comfort but also not as firm as it is in Sport. The shock button only operates if the car is already in Sport mode.

So, now you can soften up the ride for bad roads but still have the exhaust barking and the shifts more aggressive.

14. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks Vic...

Love your Avitar ;-)

I'm coming up before the weather makes it impossible,,, I'll keep you appraised.

15. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Whether in firm or soft setting, Magnaride adjusts the dampers more quickly and effectively. Ride and handling are superior. Soft setting gives supple, comfortable ride while firm setting provides better handling without the harshness of normal shocks. Ordered it on both California 30 and California T.

16. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree. Definitely a must have.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    A day w/o magnaride is like a day without sunshine.

Gives you the option of the ride you prefer depending on your needs at the time.