Introducing - Our TAG Motorsports California T In House Shop Car and Build Thread! | FerrariChat

Introducing - Our TAG Motorsports California T In House Shop Car and Build Thread!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Alex@TAG, Oct 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #1 Alex@TAG, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TAG Motorsports

For some time now, we have been tossing around the idea of picking up a California T as a shop project car of ours. We have had quite a few of them pass through our shop and our heart keeps growing more and more fond to them as they trickle in - so we just went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Shes a beauty, a 2015 California T with the following options
    -White with Black Interior
    -Yellow Brake Calipers
    -Daytona Style Front + Rear Seats
    -Carbon Steering Wheel w/ LED's
    -Shields
    -Homelink/Mirror Pack
    -Parking Camera
    -20" Silver Painted Wheels
    -White Rev counter
    -White Stitching

We took delivery from our good friends at Ferrari San Diego and immediately the ideas started flowing. Typically with any of our builds, we like to show the end user exactly what it is we do, why we go about choosing the products that choose, as well as detailed installation photos/write-ups. The best part of all - with the constant changing of wheels/exhaust/powerkit etc etc etc - you get to see various different styles through out the progression of the build series! You can see some of our previous build series by clicking HERE for our RS7 build thread or HERE to see our TechArt 991 Turbo S, or even HERE to see our Vorsteiner Widebody M4.

So without further delay - Here she is! In Bone Stock Form (Which lasted about 10 minutes. haha)

So for the First round of modifications we decided to keep it simple. There are a few things that we were not 100% fond of aesthetically on the California T. Firstly, the ride height, the wheels, the orange front reflectors and the silver rear diffusor fins had to be painted to match the rest of the diffusor......

Stay tuned as our project California T Unfolds in the upcoming weeks! There are already tons of parts, 4 sets of wheels, and much more on the way already - so get excited!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #2 Alex@TAG, Oct 12, 2015
    TAG Motorsports

We are a few weeks into ownership of the car - and we must say - the car is one thing when stock - but once we got to tweaking a few of the goodies - we really began to fall in love with the car.

The first thing we addressed was the suspension. The car, like most modern Ferrari's is equipped with the factory coilover suspension. Most people really just like to turn the coils down and lower the car. Well - the result is a back breaking rough ride and unbalanced handling characteristics. Thats why we chose to partner with our friends at Novitec Rosso for the entire build. The California T specific spring set replaces the OEM spring and gives you the adjustability that you need without breaking your neck (or your bank.) They even have an option where you can retrofit Noselift for those who are interested :)

For more information feel free to click HERE

Here are some photos of the installation! Stay tuned for installed photos :)

3. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Update please?

4. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #4 Alex@TAG, Oct 16, 2015
    TAG Motorsports

So with the car lowered down - we felt it was time to do a proper set of wheels from our neighbors across the street at HRE. 21" Front and 22" Rear HRE RS100M in Brushed Titanium Finish

Here is a quick teaser!

5. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Wanted to share another teaser before we post the entire photo shoot for you!

Let us know what you think! She sits pretty on those 21/22" HRE RS100M doesn't she?

[​IMG]

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The rims are nice but I would prefer a 20/21" setup.

IMO, the Cali is much more of a DD than the 458 so its rim and suspension setups need to be much more practical-minded. My car already scrapes on mild ramps and is at risk of banging against the concrete parking markers in parking lots. While I imagine I can find a lifter for the car, I think it is more fuss and trouble than it's worth.

I am looking to enhance my car and add a set of wheels but much more important to me is that I just want to drive my car in peace. There are already too many other hassles in life without adding them to my car! ;)

7. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Well, that is the thing - the way this car is set up - believe it or not drives relatively smooth and comfortable. It is not too low - and does not cause any rubbing. On the flip side, going 20/21 you would be able to have a bit more sidewall but its not by a lot :)

8. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #8 Alex@TAG, Oct 20, 2015
    Just noticed my photo did not upload properly! Here is a rear shot :)

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Cali is a small car. I think it looks much better with a 20/21" setup. Smaller rims make for lower spun-mass, faster acceleration/braking, crisper turn-in/steering response. Front wheels take the brunt of any pothole hazard because almost all of the speeding mass of the car (front and rear) is "behind" the front suspension. So staying at the OEM +1 size of 20" is prudent. Rear wheels are less affected by pothole hazards.

The Cali looks better lowered a bit but from personal experience, as much as I love the look my front splitter would not last the month if the car is lowered, even 1/4".

Maybe spacers and wider tires would be better appreciated if they improve handling as well as make the car look more aggressive.

10. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    This is correct. If this was a 458, i would absolutely agree - i always prefer 20/21 on a 458 - but a Cali a 21/22 looks perfect. The fenders are so much bigger....

This is all personal preference though! :)

Maybe ill do a set of 20/21" wheels coming up after these 3 other sets that are incoming since these HRE's are already sold....

11. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #11 Alex@TAG, Oct 27, 2015
    TAG Motorsports

Well here she is - the first round of modifications on our California T. It honestly changed the entire look/feel of the car as well as how the car feels overall! People now are doing more than a double take seeing her driving down the road. :)

The complete List of Modifications include:
    -Novitec Lowering Springs
    -HRE RS100M Wheels in Brushed Titanium Finish (21" front, 22" rear)
    -Pirelli PZero Nero GT Tires 255/30/21 and 315/25/22
    -TAG Motorsports Painted Front Reflectors
    -TAG Motorsports Painted HRE Letters on Wheels
    -TAG Motorsports Painted Rear Diffusor Fins

As you can see, we added a bit of subtle paint work as well to the car. Most of the California T's are arriving with silver diffusor fins that really add a color that in our opinion doesn't flow as well with the car - so we painted them satin black to match the rest of the diffusor, along with the front reflectors in body color.

What are your thoughts of the first round of modifications?

Next up - the complete Novitec Carbon Aero Package, a set of ADV1 Wheels, and a few other goodies!

12. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Absolutely stunning Alex!!! Are you planning any performance mods?

13. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Thanks Arnie!

Yes the Novitec N-Tronic ECU Upgrade is going in currently, and we have the new Capristo Exhaust System that we will be installing on there next week as well! Stay tuned on those updates :)

14. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #14 Alex@TAG, Nov 11, 2015
    TAG Motorsports

True in TAG Motorsports Project Car Fashion, our California T already recieved a new pair of shoes. This time something fresh and different from our friends at ADV1 Wheels. Their newest wheel - the ADV05R. The wheel features optional stainless inserts which are a very unique and different. The wheels are 21/22" finished in Brushed/Stainless and Polished Lips. It really does POP!

This week, the car is receiving yet ANOTHER set of HRE Wheels, as well as the Capristo Exhaust System & the COMPLETE NOVITEC Aero Package. Stay tuned for some teasers!

15. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #15 Alex@TAG, Nov 25, 2015
    TAG Motorsports

So things have progressed quite nicely with our TAG Motorsports California T. We have installed the Novitec N-Tronic ECU Upgrade and I must say, it really made a night and day difference on the car. The power delivery is smooth, it doesn't surge or feel overly powerful but its linear. The throttle response (even with this being turbo'd) seems improved. When you roll into the throttle, it pins you into your chair a lot harder than our old 458 so the 645hp is really something thats worth it!

For anyone that wants some actual real world experience, I encourage you to come by and take our car for a spin, or even give us a call. these N-Tronic ECU's are boxed and can be shipped to you for your local dealer (or us) to install!

16. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #16 Alex@TAG, Dec 22, 2015
    Just a Teaser of our TAG Motorsports California T with the complete Novitec Aero Package as well as HRE P101 Wheels ;)

Stay Tuned for more photos!​

17. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Very lovely indeed... :)