after getting wrapped, issues galore | FerrariChat

after getting wrapped, issues galore

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bryanITMS, Oct 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bryanITMS

bryanITMS Rookie

Sep 2, 2015
    Miami and NYC
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Hey guys, so I got my 2010 cali back from getting a white satin wrap (I'll post some pics after I get this fiasco sorted out a bit), now I have warning lights galore... one saying "air bag malfunction" another saying "engine management system failure."

Add to that the top is down and when I try to put the top up it is telling me "obstacle detected." I checked and tried to ensure nothing was blocking it to no avail.

At first I thought it was all due to the battery since the car sat for some time, and it may be. But everything system wise seems to be operating fine, so I am not sure.

I know that this can probably be a number of things, but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Lastly, the process for putting the top up via the manual seems pretty involved, has anyone done that?

Cheers!

2. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sorry I can't add any value to your problems but satin white is one of my favorite wraps and I've seen it on another California and it looked amazing. Can't wait to see pics!

3. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    the normal car reaction to white wrap. The obstacle is the wrap.

4. bryanITMS

bryanITMS Rookie

Sep 2, 2015
    Miami and NYC
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I was thinking that the wrap could be the problem. Do you happen to have any idea where the obstacle may be, like a sensor or something that causes the "obstacle?"

And I have the battery on a charger and bought a new one in case I need to dive into that little project. So I hope that helps the other issues.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's the battery. It's not effective to guess at the state of charge by verifying that "everything seems to operate fine". Your car sensors obviously are not operating fine. Some circuits are more sensitive to voltage/amperage deficiencies.

Use a voltmeter to check the voltage of the battery. You can also do a load test on the battery if you are familiar with the procedure. If it's 12.2V or less, you have a problem. It should read 12.4V or higher. After checking the voltage, plug in your battery tender and keep it on for at least 12 hours. Then check the voltage again. The battery tender supplied by the factory is marginal and only meant to keep the battery topped-up, not recharge it from a discharged state. OTOH, a heavy-duty CTEK battery charger is cheaper than a trip to the garage.

6. bryanITMS

bryanITMS Rookie

Sep 2, 2015
    Miami and NYC
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Well, to my surprise the battery was showing 12.6v before I even charged it - but that was after a little driving, so that probably helped. After driving, the "system failure" warning went away, the only warning now is the air bag system is inoperable.

These models only have one main battery correct? The guy at this dealer was telling me he thinks there is another which I don't think is true.

The top, however, is still inoperable, and saying that an obstacle is blocking it... I can only imagine that its the wrap. Also, I know 3M says you can cover the parking sensors and such... but they seem overly touchy, in that case maybe that is making the system think there is an "obstacle" too close to the car and it won't allow the top to move... that is my only theory remaining. Frustrating

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Try holding the unlock button and the trunk open button at the same time for 5s.

SV

8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sorry. Just realized the trunk likely still works. Have you tried a full reset by removing the battery power?

SV

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Did they wrap the backup sensors? The top mechanism uses the backup sensors to see if anything is close enough for the rear moving deck lid to hit. When I picked up my first Cali in 2010 I set my camera bag just behind the rear of the car and it refused to put the top down, all was well after moving the bag.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    When the top goes down, the trunk of the car tilts backward, so the parking sensor checks to make sure there is not something there that the trunk could hit -- like another car, pedestrian, etc. If they covered the parking sensors with the wrap, there's your problem. They should cut them out and it should work again.

The other stuff is likely the battery ... keeping it on the charger is a good idea if you're not driving it constantly. And making sure you wait the few seconds till the check lights tick off before hitting the start button, because that will cause all kinds of failure warnings that are not really failures.

*edit* Dang, Rick, beat me to it : )

11. bryanITMS

bryanITMS Rookie

Sep 2, 2015
    Miami and NYC
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    You, Rick and others who mentioned the wrap as the issue.... right on!

Get this, so I peeled off the vinyl from the sensors... EVERY single issue, resolved!

I can't believe such a simple fix resolved the airbag error message, inhibited the roof from moving and other things, all of which seem so logical right now. Got to love hindsight.

So moral of the story, if you wrap this car, stay away from the sensors lol. I have wrapped my older G-wag and BMW in the past with no issues... but this bad boy is in a league of its own.

I'll post some pics too later today. Thanks for all the help team!

Bryan

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    And I only put mine on the charger if I'm for some stupid reason not driving it after two weeks of sitting or know it will be more than two weeks. The Cali T gets more driving in the summer but like today even though it is warm out the FF was the way to go ... had to get my V12 sound fix :).

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bryan, I'm glad you sorted out your problems. I'm not sure covering the sensors caused the spurious warning messages but it does appear to have caused the roof obstacle warning, which incidentally was NOT spurious at all in retrospect.

I just checked my car and my clear wrap is cut around the sensors and does not cover them. You might question the expertise of the folks who wrapped your car. And perhaps you should verify whether 3M does indeed say you can wrap over the sensors because it appears not to be true in your case. This would also be an issue if your wrap is dramatically different in colour from the paintjob underneath as you would have to live with sensors in contrasting colour.

As for the use of battery tenders, it actually does not matter if you drive the car every day or if you hook up the battery tender every day. What matters is the original state of charge of the battery BEFORE you started using the battery tender and how hard and long you drive the car BETWEEN engine restarts. The cheapo chargers that come with our cars cannot recharge a depleted battery (which can still start the engine... a couple of times before quitting) and driving our cars everyday can and will actually kill the battery if we are just running short trips.

14. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Hey Bryan - the concept of wrapping is new to me. What is the point of wrapping and what kind of cost did it entail? I too have a 2010 California.

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    be careful with stone chips on the parking sensors, can cause all sorts of the same bizarre electrical issues

and if there is any question the battery is an issue, just replace it -- cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things

16. carmelostarks

carmelostarks Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    I had my car wrapped a few months ago and I also had a bunch of problems to the point where the guys who wrapped my car left me with a bunch of roof issues.....

Funny thing is that i also wrapped the car satin white....

17. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    yeah funny isnt it

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    As I indicated earlier, the sensors on my wrapped car were not covered over by the wrap and my car has not experienced any sensor faults. Here's a photo of a front sensor on my car. I apologize for the bug strikes and dirt but I'm doing a final long drive tomorrow probably in the rain before putting my car away for the season.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

You can see clearly, the vinyl was trimmed around the sensor. Since I was just wrapping in clear vinyl and not changing the colour, the installer didn't bother to wrap the sensor itself. However, when a car is wrapped in a different colour, the sensor needs to be removed and individually wrapped, as shown in this sequence of photos showing a very-well-executed wrap of a BMW in the UK.

This type of sensor uses ultrasonic sound emissions to gauge distances to objects; in a manner like sonar echoing. Notice also that there is a rubber grommet separating the sensor from the bumper. When the sensor is operating, it actually vibrates. So I am wondering if the wrap accidentally covers both the sensor and the bumper, whether the wrap may be inadvertently transmitting vibrations to the bumper... which then immediately "echoes" back to the (adjacent) sensor causing the sensor to believe there is an obstacle immediately next to the sensor.

The sensors must be effectively insulated from the bumper or else the sensors will detect the bumper and think it's a very close obstacle.

If I were you I would complain to the people who wrapped your car. They either did not bother to protect you from this problem or maybe they were simply amateurs and ignorant.

19. bryanITMS

bryanITMS Rookie

Sep 2, 2015
    Miami and NYC
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #19 bryanITMS, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jasflora likes this.
  20. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Looks great. Love satin white with black roof.

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your wrapped Cali looks great Bryan. I should do that with mine sometime.

Curious that your installers didn't do the sensors properly as the rest of the wrap looks really good. Perhaps you might shop around next time and ask the installers how they handle the sensors, AFTER they give you a quote.

Enjoy!

22. alapd

alapd Rookie

Jun 25, 2015
    If you don't mind me asking, where are you located and where did you get your car wrapped? I got mine wrapped in satin white as well, but am having so many problems with bubbles. They just did not do a great job, and this place was recommended by my Ferrari dealer.

23. bryanITMS

bryanITMS Rookie

Sep 2, 2015
    Miami and NYC
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I am located in St. Petersburg, FL. I had the work done in Houston, Texas though as I was there when I purchased the car. The wrap is holding up pretty well, some areas on the lower portions of the car have a slight peel up on the edge, which I always try to push down, and only one bubble... its only been about a month and not many miles though.

Did your bubbles appear early on?

24. matthoops23

matthoops23 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Very cool wrap...what was the original color?

25. bryanITMS

bryanITMS Rookie

Sep 2, 2015
    Miami and NYC
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks. Its metallic black