Dumb Question: Cali Back Seat Tabs | FerrariChat

Dumb Question: Cali Back Seat Tabs

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SoFLFerrari, Oct 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    #1 SoFLFerrari, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gents - What are these little leather tabs in the back seat of my Cali? I thought they were to pull down folding back seats for better storage but the backs don't seem to fold down.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good question. I've never tried using the pass-through doors (flaps) on the rear seats but apparently they are supposed to fold down somehow. They are described in the owner's manual but in poor detail. :rolleyes:

Maybe someone else has figured this out.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  3. ram77

ram77 Rookie

Jun 7, 2015
    Corona del Mar Ca.
    Full Name:
    Roger
    2 levers on either side of the trunk, lower side under the cover. pull each then the taps work great.

Broiler010 and whatheheck like this.
  4. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    #4 Tides, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Where are these levers. - I have the luggage version instead of the two rear seats. - is it the same - I have struggled to open the rear panel and have even pulled one of the (ears) totally out. OP. not such a dumb question at all !!

5. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Thanks ram77. - just found the levers and panel folds down great - if only !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Thank you Ram! There was no mention of them in the manual.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's great, thanks Roger! I normally use my truck for shopping larger items, but you never know... ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES
    The middle tunnel supposely for golf bag....... golf bag is not fit in into the trunk unless that back door seat is open to extend the space. At least for many of the golfer purposes

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hmm that figures, but it might be dodgy if you have to stop in a hurry and you'd probably have to keep the roof up. OTOH the bag should also stylishly fit across the back seats/bench especially with the roof down, in golfing weather.

10. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I've been able to fit 2 full size golf standbags through the trunk opening, but it's extraordinarily tight, primarily because of the extra bulk at the top of the bag due to the stand. One stand bag fits through the singe side opening snugly, and easily if you open both sides of rear seat. I would guess that two regular size cart bags (without stand) will fit with both rear seats down. But per 4th Gear, I typically pile one or two bags across the rear seats, on a slight angle due to the length of the driver. And the roof does have room to close even with two bags through trunk opening or across the back seat. Either way, it's a snug fit for two bags, but it works!

11. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL

Thanks for the visual how-to 4th. You beat me to the punch! I wonder what other secrets my Cali has yet to reveal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trickydickyfezza likes this.
  12. doctennis1

doctennis1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2016
    How do you fold down rear seats to access pass through on 2016 Cali T?

13. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I can see one potential hazard putting your bag in with the top of the bag in the back seat area. If one had to break hard I can see some clubs shooting forward between the seats and possibly hitting the radio and causing some damage. It would be a good idea to place a towel or blanket over the exposed clubs to restrain their movement.

14. Mike8Wang

Mike8Wang Rookie

Feb 12, 2019
    orlando,fl
    Full Name:
    Mike Wang
    Mine can't open. Was told if it's continuous one back piece, it doesn't open. If it has two back support pieces, there's a latch in back to open.

15. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Folding rear setbacks are optional,not standard. On the Portofino,about $1700.

whatheheck likes this.
  16. Jszymaszek

Jszymaszek Karting

Sep 7, 2009
    Portland, CT
    Full Name:
    Jay Szymaszek
    Mike just as a follow up.

Are you saying that it’s an option? I recently bought a 2016 T and didn’t think to ask....
    I don’t see the releases like in manual/photo posted. However it looks like it should fold down.

Does anyone know if it is an option is it something that can be added?

Thanks

Jay

17. Mike8Wang

Mike8Wang Rookie

Feb 12, 2019
    orlando,fl
    Full Name:
    Mike Wang
    If you don't see release shown in manual, there's no way to open. It's bolted on as told by my Ferrari service tech. Kinda stupid and I can't get my golf clubs in. Had I know, I would have gotten one that could open or 458 that I was considering.

18. Jszymaszek

Jszymaszek Karting

Sep 7, 2009
    Portland, CT
    Full Name:
    Jay Szymaszek
    Thanks for info Mike... yeah, I guess I should have made sure....I still love the car!!!

19. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki
    Do you have to remove the carpet completely to get to the two tabs in order to drop the back seats to have thru trunk access?

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No. As shown in my photo, you just lift the tabs which are out in plain sight. Easy to check if you open the trunk and look for yourself. ;)

21. Mike8Wang

Mike8Wang Rookie

Feb 12, 2019
    orlando,fl
    Full Name:
    Mike Wang
    If you don't see it in plain sight inside trunk, first owner didn't get the back seat fold down feature.

22. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki
    Thanks, Guys!

I was looking too deep in the trunk but finally found the levers to drop the sear backs.. lol

23. RJ66

RJ66 Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Robert Juneja
    Does anyone know how much weight the seat backs folded down can support? I have seen an ad for luggage that sits underneath and on top of the shelf that’s formed

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Broiler010

Broiler010 Rookie

Mar 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    hiroaki hayashi
    You just saved me!! Thank you from Japan.

25. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I was mystified by those tabs as well, then I found the seat releases in the trunk. I carry my clubs often but usually just lean them across the back seats or treat them like a passenger in the front. When I go on golf trips with a friend I put one set in the trunk/pass through and the other in the back seat. The luggage/golf bag room inside and in the trunk was ultimately what convinced me to pick the Cali T in my Cali T vs 458 decision.