Test Drove New Cali T | FerrariChat

Test Drove New Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Eric R, Oct 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    First I have to thank Ferrari of The Woodlands for inviting me to drive their new Cali T demo. While I have had many friends offer, this is the first time I have ever driven a Ferrari. In a single word all I would say is WOW. I have never felt special in a car before. This thing made me feel really good. This is coming from a life long Corvette guy and I will not go into comparisons because it is pointless. The Cali T is awesome and everything I could imagine it would be. Now here my head vs heart issues.

I was orginally looking for the first generation and wanting to spend $150k all in. I can make the stretch to a new one but when spending $250k I want to make sure I have considered all things. Is the new T really worth the additional money from a driving experience perspective? I like the idea of new, warranty, etc but $100k pays for a lot of issues that may come up if ever. Second, depreciation. I pay cash for either and know I will be throwing more out the window with the T. But its a T though. Not asking anyone to answer that for me but did anyone have the same thoughts and what did you do? Regrets?

Yes, first world issues but aside from the homes I have bought I have never spent this kind of money on a car. So I am wigged out little with doubt on doing the right thing. Yesterday, my wife and I were all for it. Now I am trying to make a rational decision on an irrational purchase. I cannot be the only one to have experienced these emotions and look to here from others who have traveled this road.

Thanks,

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Should at least consider a used 458 or used FF at 250K$. V12 in FF and the enormous practicality may be a definite advantage over the T. And 458s are special no matter how you slice it!

SV

3. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Next time you should test drive a 458, put it in race mode, then you won't want anymore Cali T or any T.

4. JMC126

JMC126 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Santa Cruz
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I recently sold my 2006 430 for a 2016 T. Do not regret it a bit. I was initially considering either a used 458 or a new T. The bigger issue you have to answer for yourself is how are you going to use the car. My 430 was a race car. Great sound, great shape, low, great drive, etc... But not practical for my family. We live in California where it is practically sunny all the time. A convertible is the prefect car. The T is a grand tourer not a race car. So it really is about what you are looking for.

As for costs, older cars are are older cars. They will need maintenance. No matter what you pay upfront - the thought of everytime there is a leak, rattle, CEL light - oh no another 1k or more in bills and time that the car is out of commission. Or a brand new car - under warranty - and drive it as much as you want. I just passed 1000miles on my T - I have had it for 3months. My 430 took over a year to go over 1000 miles.

As for depreciation and costs - what you will find is that most people will keep their cars for a few years and upgrade, so it really is not about a loss in money. Just have to get over the initial paying to get into the game. For me - bought my first ferrari and sold it 3 years later. In all with all the repairs and service - cost me 30-40k in depreciation. So in the end 1k a month to drive a ferrari. The rest of the money - rolled into the new car.

5. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Thanks Michael, that is exactly the process I am working through. As the others talked about the 458 and 599 I think I have put those two to bed in that I want a convertible and will use this thing for weekend get aways that my wife and I like to do on a regular basis. I do not think the 458 has the storage needed for that and the 599 convertible is not in the budget. So it really is coming down to a Cali just which version. Anyone who has owned both want to weigh in?

6. Dvdcalifornia

Dvdcalifornia Rookie

Sep 19, 2011
    I have owned two; a 2012 Calif and currently a 2015
    Calif T. Both were purchased new. Even though the Calif T is a better car, not sure it is $100M better. Depends on if you want the latest & greatest all the time.

I'd be interested in thoughts from those who have purchased both new and used Ferraris to get their view on satisfaction levels between buying a new one & used one.

7. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

Depends on the driving you do. Most of mine is long distance -London to Italy, South France or Spain and while the 458 might be fun on a short trip, I think the T is a much better choice for this kind of driving.

I've driven the 458 and it's good, but it's a different beast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    I have a 15 T and had a 13 458 Spider....two entirely different cars....both great, but vastly different. For example, the T is much easier to live with as a dd....there is plenty of room, can get golf clubs in the trunk rather than the passenger seat, if necessary can get 3, maybe 4, people in it, easy to put stuff in back seats....458 is quicker, handles better, is sexier, and more fun to drive - and for better or worse, attracts bigger crowds. You can't go wrong with either one....it's really an issue of your priorities.

9. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
    get a used 2015 Cali T, you should be able to get 10-20K off, if not now, definately in Jan. Cali Ts depreciate, by this time next year, a 250K Cali T should be available for 210-215 especially if there is a new model coming in 2017. It is not a limited production car and ferrari is going to try to make even more now since they want to sell 10K a year.

10. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
  11. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    By this time next year, LOL, even 488 will have a 20K off. Nobody wants turbo. In some countries, turbocharged is much much cheaper because the engine is smaller so the tax is cheaper. In North America, we pay the same price between turbo and NA, so who wants their super car to sound like.......... (I don't want to say it anymore, every time some people got offended).

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    ERic
    A few years ago I was in exactly your position. being a life long corvette guy I liked the looks and everything about the california and after accidental test drive decided I had to have one .. Let me tell you the same excitement you had on the first test drive will never go away I bought that first california it was a lot of money by corvettes standards (i had owned around 40 corvettes at this point).. so after doing everything you are doing I decided to just go for it and bought a new 2011 loved every minute of it .... then later bought a 2013 cali from their well i now own several and just nothing else will do ...THe same excitement never goes away..
    I am not a big fan of the mid engine cars but I do own a scud..
    I guess i think you need to get the californiaT and enjoy.. THey come with a 7 year maintinance plan included so you will not spend much for the 7 years ..
    Have fun
    LarryH

13. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Larry, I think you will appreciate my rationale here. In my mind, I think a earlier version of the Cali would give me the same feeling that the T did. It would be special everytime I got in it. And thus with the savings I would have between the two I could still order the new Z06 and have both. OR have only one and it be a new Ferrari. Such problems to have I know but I am striving to make the right choice.

For those that have asked how I plan to use it I plan to take extended weekend trips with it on a regular basis. Such as going to Florida for the week. That is why I believe the 458 would not be the best choice.

14. JB833

JB833 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    London
    I am in the same position and am coming to the conclusion that both a new or used Cali will lose money, it's just trying to decide which will lose less. If that is the objective then I think the only choice is an early Cali that is one of the cheapest on the market. But I don't really want that car especially after I add in extended warranty costs, existing wear and tear and mileage. So I am going to look for a 6 month old 15 Cali with service pack, warranty and some decent options that is at a discount to list. I'm going to bet that when I come to change it in a few years time I haven't lost that much more than if I'd bought the cheaper car.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Eric,
    Welcome to the family.

You're ruined for life now.

My advice is to follow your wisdom on the money side of things. In your spot I would find a nice California 30- don't go for the most depreciated Cali on the market right now. Those will be harder to sell later. Get the 30, enjoy it, and then see where the T goes. Maybe you make the move in a few years time. I think you are doing the most sensible thing in a move that isn't really that sensible.

As to the maintenance plan on the new cars, its a very ver limited plan. I would not trust a car that is more than 2-3 years old that was serviced only on this maintenance plan. The plan says cars get new air filter, motor oil & filter and wiper blades. THATS IT. No change of brake fluid, diff fluid, tranny fluid, etc.

California is a great choice for your use.

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Eric; I had both a 2011 and a2013 with the sport handling package I preferred the 2013 to the earlier car it had a little more power and with the handling package it has a little sharper feel.. I love the sound of the earlier cars(preT) and not long ago my 2013 was for sale at I think ferrari of fortLauderdale it was the highest option car my dealer FOW (washington) had sold I drove it about 2 years then sold it and I believe it was bought by an Fchatter from Florida.. In any case the best of the earlier cars are the 2013 and 14 ...but of course they are the most expensive ... so its up to you neither have the power of the T..
    I traded my 13 in on a F12 (these things are absolutely addicting....)
    If you get an earlier one try to get it with an existing warranty or a extended it you can from ferrari ..
    Best of luck either way is great choice......and I also prefer the front engine cars....

17. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Excellent feedback guys! I thank you for it. I love the sensible thing on a non-sensible purchase quote. That sums it all up. I am now convinced which way to go. Maybe if the future is as good as the past/present has been, I will order a new one without any hesitation over the costs difference.