California specific questions | FerrariChat

California specific questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ScottS, Nov 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Hello
    Relocated to Florida and thinking about a convertible. have a F430 to play but not as a DD I unfortunately sold my Mondial T convertible prior to moving thinking I was relocating to Chicago. I have some esoteric questions that even an exhaustive search could not reveal the answers.

Please be gentle. Opinions welcome and truly contemplated.

1 my DD is amaserati GTS f1 which I love. I have two kids f the back and use he seats. The 9 year old could go n the front but the little guy (7) would stay in the back- for this are the seats usable? Cali as a DD?

2 magneride- how does one tell on the 10-11 years

3 AFS -opinions?

4 engine recall how does one check the vin to see? Other recalls/campaigns?

5 should one truly avoid the early 09/10s and to what chassis number?

6 service history on a lot of these cars is hard to get. I know it's ideal but what have others done ?
    7 A lot are auction vehicles - experience with this avenue?

8 CCB scare me for cost /Maintenance - how long do they really last and cost to replace etc?

9 seems like the 12 MYgot this contrast vent mirror option- does this signify anything else? Not sure about whether I like it.

Lastly looking at these two- thoughts price targets etc?

Like the BB with CF but the tan is nice for Florida.

Thanks for your thoughts

Used 2011 Ferrari California Base | Used 2011 Ferrari California Base, Nero, P14728A1 | Louisville , KY

Used 2012 Ferrari California Convertible RWD for sale in Florida

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    answers to some

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Having a dealer pull the build sheet and full service records using the VIN would be highly advisable. At worst it may just involve a small service fee. You should do a PDI using a dealer who is not the seller. Have the mechanic determine the degree of wear on CCM brake/pads. When exclusively used on streets, rotors are designed to last the lifetime of the car. Pads will require service earlier. You can search threads for costs from earlier posts.

Colour and material choices are personal preferences best left to your own discretion. The AFS option works well; useful when you corner at any speed when it's dark enough.

For equivalent cars, prices are determined by the market, location and season. You just have to make sure you search and inquire thoroughly.

Good luck.

4. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Are the 10' models the only ones with engine issues where the Cam was replaced? Do I have that right?

5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
  6. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Hey Scott-
    In Winter Park, FL too...with a Maserati GTS F1 as well (damn near favorite car ever) with a E63 Biturbo Wagon. Not sure about the next thing (599, FF, 612 OTO, RS7) just yet. Give me a shout when you get a chance-would love to grab a coffee, share some exhaust noise.

7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Love to. Have too switch registration to FL. Got a ticket Saturday on Palmer for my out of state registration being expired. After an illegal u turn ahead of me went un-addressed.

Scott

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    1: The seats are smaller than in the GTS. Depending on where you put your front seats, the kids should fit. Older kids like 12+ etc. I'd say no, they are too big. It is very tight back there.

2: You can get an entire list of what options are on the car via the VIN. There's nothing visual that shows that the car has Magneride. I think the ride in the Cali is rather harsh - not like a 458 or a 430 where it's firm but plesant - the Cali is more shaky and rattles you around somewhat. The Magneride definitely does a better job of a smoother ride in the soft setting. It is a drop-top GT after all. Not sure why they made it so hard. They did a much better job on the Cali T in this regard.

3: Not a must or a deal breaker, but not something to shy away from either.

5: Cars from that time should have their bugs worked out by now. There were some lemons in the beginning and some have had multiple transmission changes. With the Cali most tend to think newer is better - and many prefer a Cali30.

6: Get a PPI and buy from an authorized dealer that has a car with full history.

8: The roters are the big one in terms of price. But they last a long time on a street driven GT. You can have them checked to see how much is left. The pads are just pads and are a ripoff from any Ferrari dealer whether they are for steel discs or ceramic. There are other offerings than what your Ferrari dealer has. Pagid and others make great pads.

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I'll mix my answers in too, separated with a :)

1 my DD is amaserati GTS f1 which I love. I have two kids f the back and use he seats. The 9 year old could go n the front but the little guy (7) would stay in the back- for this are the seats usable? Cali as a DD? :) as a DD it is PERFECT, even all weather here in NW Ohio. A little guy in the back with the top up may work as long as there is a little person up front to move the right seat plenty fwd.

2 magneride- how does one tell on the 10-11 years :) I made a post some time ago about the magneride part number but if you drive it, switching from sport to comfort makes a real difference in small bumps in the road

3 AFS -opinions? :) I like it and although it has a Ferrari price, it is worth it. On a used car though if it were missing it would not be a deal breaker. Missing Magneride is a deal breaker.

4 engine recall how does one check the vin to see? Other recalls/campaigns? :) I had a '10 and a '12, no engine problems at all. My 10 was delivered in Dec 2009.

5 should one truly avoid the early 09/10s and to what chassis number?

6 service history on a lot of these cars is hard to get. I know it's ideal but what have others done ? :) All of mine were serviced by the Ferrari dealer. I would be suspicious if there was not some sort of dealer history

7 A lot are auction vehicles - experience with this avenue?

8 CCB scare me for cost /Maintenance - how long do they really last and cost to replace etc? :) The rotors will last a long time. Pads are $3,000 for a set of four. I know, I replaced them after 29,500 miles on my '10 but I spent 2.5 hours of time on the Mid-Ohio race track late in the car's history. I believe it ate half of the brake life so the pads should have lasted 50,000 miles maybe. The rotors do not wear at all. They do SLOWLY leach out carbon. The computer keeps track of your use and eventually will tell you to have them checked. The dealer will remove them and WEIGH them. Each has a number stamped on it to MANY decimal places and if it is lighter than that they get replaced. Something like $3K to $5k per rotor

That's my experience. You will LOVE your California. Drive it like you stole it, the car will take it.

10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thanks. I should mention that since the thread I've received delivery and am loving my Cali. 2012 with 3700 miles. Now 4500. Certified and maintenance until 2018.
    It is all people have said good and bad but overwhelmingly good. The CF seats are amazing. One boy fits in the back and the other, is big enough for the front. And loves it. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    That's a good looking Cali!

12. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    how can one tell if a Cali comes with Magneride or not? how do we check?

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you go to my.ferrari.com, you can register your Cali - it asks for VIN and such as I recall. Once registered, it will list the options.
    Alternatively, you can ask an official dealer to look up the VIN in their system, and, I believe, based on the VIN they should be
    able to tell you what options your Cali came with.

My Cali, for example, lists
    MADM - MAGNERIDE DUAL MODE SUSPENSION
    among the options.

T