680 HP California T kit | FerrariChat

680 HP California T kit

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gb135, Nov 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gb135

Gb135 Karting

Jul 28, 2014
  2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Put a call into the service center. My bet is that Ferrari will void the warranty. Perhaps not the entire warranty. The other parts of the car which are not affect might still be covered. Think radio/sat nav/ folding top/ electrical seats.

However, the engine, transmission, drivetrain, exhaust, emissions and the entire ecu and electrical system will probably be voided.

What does Alpha say about the effect of the tune on the engine turbos transmission and emissions?

Perhaps you can buy a third party warranty? Probably would cost 10-15 K a year?

Or maybe you can be sneaky and remove the tune package whenever you bring the car into service.

"Wow my engine is blown and my turbos are fried too? I am shocked!"

3. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    "Wow my engine is blown and my turbos are fried too? I am shocked!"
    Brilliant quote with the cross eyed look to the service manager, reminds me in the 80's I kept turning up the boost on a Saab 99 Turbo and did the same quote above :):):):):) got to laugh really :)

4. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    You buy a Ferrari because it is a Ferrari! There are plenty of cheaper and faster cars that you can tune with impunity ... Just don't understand why someone would pay so much and then risk it for a few HP. Yes, no doubt Ferrari left a bit on the table for the M model, but otherwise if the car isn't fast enough, there are other options. Can't imagine resale would be so easy either ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Second that. Save the 15k a year for the extra warranty and get a used 991 turbo s if pummeling straight line speed is what you're after. The Cali is more of a laid back usable Ferrari anyhow, just enjoy it!

6. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Does the Cali T really need 100 hp more?
    I am very happy with the way it is now.
    Plus, I like the piece of mind having the stock engine bench/stress tested at the factory with the OEM warranty as I am almost always pushing it. Plenty of fun as stock!

7. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    +1

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Be careful with such an "increasing the boost is the easiest way to get more power out of a turbocharged engine"-tuning.

Ferrari changed so many mechanical components for the 488-engine with its 670hp, even the cooling water ducts have been enlarged. They have not done all these measures for fun!

9. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +553

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would want lower compression pistons if I were overcompressing one like that. Warranty, what warranty?

11. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Is there any way to stiffen the suspension? More boost would sound great but the handling needs to be better

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steven- There was a handling kit introduced for the California 30. Have not seen if it is available yet on the California T. What do you have?

13. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Don't have a California yet. will be getting a T demo for this weekend. I had one before and noticed that handling really set me back behind the 458's and scud's in the canyons. Will go on a longer drive this time with the same group. I liked the power but handling really lacked. if another 100hp boost comes in then I don't think I would feel as comfortable without upgrading suspension/tires

14. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    There is of course the Novitec sport springs. I believe Eibach makes a number of different springs with various spring rates that will fit the Cali T.

As for tyres, a set of diamond cut FF rims or diamond cut Speciale Aperta rims with the F12 spec MPSS 255/35R20 K2 fronts and the FF spec MPSS 295/35R20 K1 rears could be an option for more rubber on the road:)

15. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #15 Alex@TAG, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TAG Motorsports

So things have progressed quite nicely with our TAG Motorsports California T. We have installed the Novitec N-Tronic ECU Upgrade and I must say, it really made a night and day difference on the car. The power delivery is smooth, it doesn't surge or feel overly powerful but its linear. The throttle response (even with this being turbo'd) seems improved. When you roll into the throttle, it pins you into your chair a lot harder than our old 458 so the 645hp is really something thats worth it!

For anyone that wants some actual real world experience, I encourage you to come by and take our car for a spin, or even give us a call. these N-Tronic ECU's are boxed and can be shipped to you for your local dealer (or us) to install!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. augiaudio

augiaudio Rookie

Nov 16, 2015
    Don't do it! All my buddies who modify their exotics end up with blown engines and 30k bills. I think Ferrari engineers know what they are doing.

17. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Personally, I would be afraid for my warranty

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Most sensible people would not want to risk a voided warranty and engine/turbo/ or transmission damage.

However, there are some who want to push the envelope and don't mind the risks.

I was wondering if tuners verify that the car will pass emissions tests after their mods?

19. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Seeing that the transmission is the same as the one in the F12, FF, 458 and 488, it should hold up fine.

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

there are many ecu re-flashing companies that can simply change the engine parameters to provide several levels/stages of performances. they add, air, fuel, timing and boost. warranties can be left in tact as the re-flash still allows for a stock setting thus not showing up on factory diagnostic equipment.

21. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sent you a PM regarding transmissions.

22. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    I mean being that this is just a Powerkit Piggy Back ECU, we havent had any issues. The car can be 100% reverted back to stock without and any issues at all!

We have since done about 6 Cali T Novitec Powerkits and each client hasnt had any issues. There are many different tuners out there that claim certain things - however we trust Novitec when it comes to their Ferrari Tuning Abilities :)

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Listened to a Cali T (stock) last night! Wow the car sounds very good. Quite like a NA engine.

I wonder if the exhaust would adversely affected using an aftermarket tune?

More HP but less exciting noise?

24. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Why do you think an aftermarket tune like a Novitec setup would sound less good, if both had the same aftermarket exhaust? At any rate, it's a turbo engine, so the less restrictive, the better.

25. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I was thinking about how the Cali T sounds more NA than say a McLaren 650. Both cars are turbo. The MCLaren has much greater HP.

If the Cali T was tuned to produce similar HP with ECU tricks , would that change the exhaust note and make the Cali more turbo sounding?