Key Wireless Signal Boost & Keyless Entry | FerrariChat

Key Wireless Signal Boost & Keyless Entry

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SoFLFerrari, Nov 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Anyone now of a way to increase the wireless range of the vehicle key? The range for my Cali seems to be only about 10 meters, while I can get much better range with the key for my Mercedes.

Also, has anyone upgraded the stock door lock control to a keyless entry (a la Mercedes)? Would be a nice to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL

"know" vice "now". Damned auto correct.

3. LeoNewland

LeoNewland Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Leo Newland
    This may seem strange, but if I hold the key next to (very close) to my face cheek when I push the 'unlock' button, it increases the distance quite a bit - odd but true. Also, seems to help it go through glass or walls if I'm inside.

Leo Newland

4. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I haven't verified this with my California, however I can significantly increase the key range for my BMW 545i by sticking the key in my mouth (just the metal part on my tongue) and pressing the unlock button. Found this tip on the BMW forum many years ago, and it still works today. I'll have to try this with my Cali-30...

5. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    When I wear my tin foil hat the range increase is dramatic, and it helps with the 'voices' at the same time...

6. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    This is a well-known issue. European frequency allocation for car fobs is different from the US frequency. Most manufacturers consider this a localization issue and change the length of the antenna to compensate. Ferrari doesn't.

When I had an F430 and later a 360, one could get to the antenna wire and move it to increase the range.

I do not know where the antenna wire is in the California, unfortunately (cf. my thread on the dearth of DIY articles about the California...)

Tom

7. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    quotes like this make it worth reading in the mornings better than any comedy :):) thanks

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually, the remote for my Cali30 is even worse... only works when I'm at about 5 meters from my car. :rolleyes:

However, the suggestions from a couple of people who posted about placing the remote key against some part of your head when you puch the button may have to do with what the NY Times reported in this 2009 article
    Remote Car Key

Suppose your remote car door opener does not have the range to reach your car across the parking lot. Hold the metal key part of your key fob against your chin, then push the unlock button. The trick turns your head into an antenna, says Tim Pozar, a Silicon Valley radio engineer.

Mr. Pozar explains, “You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor. Not a great one, but it works.” Using your head can extend the key’s wireless range by a few car lengths. "
    You can check all the hits by Googling "Tim Pozar increase range of remote car by placing key to head". Here's another even more detailed reference to it on Yahoo from this September.

It was my sister in Germany who told me about this a couple of years ago. I didn't believe it so it was only many months later that I decided to give it a try. I'm still not entirely convinced but to my surprise it does seem to work for me about 50% of the time.

9. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    #9 jkddad, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    As suggested, putting the remote up to your head (as seen on the original Top Gear), for some reason seems to help with remote distance. Don't know what it does to the brain cells, but can't be any worse then a cell phone. Of course, we will all look like a bunch of crazy people, but if anyone asks, tell them it is like a secret handshake for Ferrari owners. And now that they know, they will need to be eliminated.

10. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL

Incredible! Thank you!

11. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    #11 photonut, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i do this all the time.
    but now i seem to have developed a crink in my neck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
  13. LeoNewland

LeoNewland Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Leo Newland
    In addition to the chiropractor for your 'crink,' I might also suggest a drive-by at the dermatologist and dentist.....