Alternator failure | FerrariChat

Alternator failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Nov 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There have been a couple of threads on this ... thought I'd look for some input.

Took a nice, long fall drive in my 2013 Cali 30 today. Pulled into a Starbucks, came right back out, started the car, was exiting the parking lot, pulled up to a stop sign at idle and the car stalled. Hit the start button and it fired right back up. There was a brief "alternator failure" message, which went away. Car seemed to run fine on the way home.

Let it sit for a couple of hours, then used the radar detector to monitor the voltage. Got the following:

Key on, pre-start: 12.4 volts
    Start and idle: 13.5 volts
    Driving: 13.9-14.0 volts
    Driving after 20 minutes or so: 14.1-14.2 volts.

Seems as if the charging system is working, although I am not sure what a Ferrari typically does. It's been cooler here, AC was not on, perhaps it just idled a little too low and stalled?

The car has not been on the battery charger because I drive it fairly frequently, and usually for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

Dealer is happy to take it in but not sure what they are going to learn. Anyone have similar issues?

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The charging voltage for the starter battery is dependent on ambient temperature and the current from the alternator so it's difficult to say if the voltages you observed are suspect but they don't look unusual to me.

Here's a technical tip that may be helpful. There is a ignition module located inside the Cali's steering wheel. Loose or defective electrical contacts on this module may cause the stalling problem you described.

As for the battery charger, you should use it every time you put the car away. Driving 30 minutes to an hour does not guarantee a healthy battery because, amongst other things, it depends on the state of charge of your battery BEFORE you started driving the car as well as speed of the engine during your drives and how many times you restarted the engine during your drives. If you have a radar detector it will put extra drain your battery. The car alarm/theft monitoring system will drain the battery...etc.