Considering a California | FerrariChat

Considering a California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by LuxuryLife, Nov 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #1 LuxuryLife, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Initially I started my search for a 458 but now with the 488 arrivals taking place and the uncertainty of the market for 458's I started looking into California's. I've always liked the California and it seems to be a more practical "daily driver" versus the 458. I also like the attractive price point of used California's which on average are roughly $75k cheaper than used 458's for comparable years. This will be my first Ferrari so I think the California may be the right car for me at the moment and then I can go up to the 458/488 next.

After briefly searching the internet I'm noticing a lot of 2010's for sale. I believe that was the first year of the California. Should I stay away from these? The price points are great but I know sometimes first years of a new model can be troublesome. Is the California the same as the 458 in terms of the 7 year maintenance program beginning with 2012's? Also I believe the new California came out in 2013 so are the 2010-2013 virtually the same car just with minor upgrades? Or are there any significant differences between these years?

I appreciate all insight and help. I'm new to the F-Car family but I've owned a Lamborghini Gallardo and currently drive a Bentley Continental GT. I'm looking forward to a nice change and new experience.

Lastly, are there any near future plans of a replacement for the California? I'd hate to pick one up now and in a few months or a year the car has been replaced like the Huracan did with the Gallardo or the 488 is doing with the 458.

Thank you!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie

Try scrolling down - most of your queries are asked and answered every week or two

3. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've looked through the forum and didn't see anything similar. I'll look further.

4. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hi there and welcome! Don't know much about the first generation Californias (I do think the first year or two had more prominent gearbox issues that you may want to research). But the California T just came out last year. There are rumors already that an all new California will come out in 2017 but I'm skeptical given the T just came out in 2015 model year. No one has a crystal ball, unfortunately.

5. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks for the reply. What year did the California 30 come out? That was 2013 correct? Just trying to figure out the differences between the California, the California 30 and the new California T other than the fact the new one is turbo.

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The early cars (allegedly) had some transmission problems which could be expensive if not under warranty.

2012 was the first year for the 7 years of free scheduled maintenance on the car, which is nice to have.

2013-2014 is the California 30, which adds 30 hp and loses 30 kg of weight ... the 2010-2012 car has good power but it's a noticeable bump for the 2013-2014 cars. I felt it was worth the money in terms of the overall driving experience, especially coming from an F430.

There is a rumored "Dino" entry level car, but no clear indication that it will replace the California, which is the best-selling Ferrari.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    agree with the above I had a 2011 which i really liked but then bought a2013 and there is a noticeable difference particularly if you can find one with the handling package..
    they are great cars. i have no experience with the T

8. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    T, as you would expect due to turbos, has much more torque. Interior is updated/more refined.

9. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you for the replies. Very useful information. Does the California T have an exterior body change from the California and the California 30 or is it just interior updates?

10. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Try Google, Images.

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #11 DK308, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Just look at both cars. A lot is carry-over from the Cali. Different rear end etc. but very similar cars all together.

Here's another take on everything - look at all your options.

If you initially had your eyes on a 458, I'd suggest you drive one and compare it. Also, if the price of a 458 part of your budget, the FF is worth checking out. They are "cheap" for what you get. As a first Ferrari, the 458 will offer you the exciting mid-engine Ferrari experience, and the FF will offer you what is one of the best Ferrari experiences there is - namely the Ferrari V12 in a sublime riding very fast car. The ride of the original Cali never did it for me, I think the Cali T is much better though, and the power is more on par with the rest of that generation of Ferrari. But as this is your first venture into a Ferrari, do yourself a favor and drive the different models before you buy. That will do a much better job of "telling you" what fits you in the Ferrari line-up. As Rick Lederman on this board has been known to say over and over again. "The FF is Ferraris best kept secret". I believe he's quite right.

As far as replacement goes. Well, the T will most likely be replaced in 19 with a Cali T upgrade in 2018 similar to the 30 upgrade the Cali.

12. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you for the information. I have driven the 458 and I loved it. Drove much better overall and the gear shifts were a lot smoother than my Lamborghini was. I have not driven a California yet. Perhaps that should be my next step. As far as the FF, I personally don't love the styling. Just my personal taste.

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #13 4th_gear, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FWIW, I've owned my Cali30 for 3 years and have test-driven the CaliT. The CaliT has easy staggering torque, is structurally more rigid, is smoother and is ultimately faster but the Cali30 feels a lot more raw/nervous, more punchy, makes better noises and is arguably just as fast as a 458 at 0-40/45 mph. You have to work at prepping the car for the torque but if you drive it aggressively (it remembers your driving style) the Cali30 responds by feeling a lot more like a race car than the CaliT which felt to me more like a fast capable German sports sedan or a Porsche 911, a bit too relaxed and refined for what I want in a fun car.

I think the Cali30 isn't slower than a 458 at urban street-legal speeds and you also get the major benefit of a true convertible with less of a hassle with too-much unwanted attention. It's also like owning 2 cars for the price of one. We can all hanker for a big V12 but that also comes the odd styling, gas mileage penalty and no open-top option. So to me, I feel I have the perfect Fcar. It's a keeper. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Great review thank you. Glad you are enjoying your car so much!

15. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Not to be a stickler but technically every panel is new/different on the Cali T, except for the roof panels/mechanism. It obviously still looks similar/like an evolution of a California, though.

16. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Put another way, the Californias are GT cars whereas the 458 is a sports car. They drive/feel quite different but are both awesome. The Californias are definitely more "practical" and easier to deal with on a daily basis.

17. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    I had 360 spider for one year, 430 for one year, and California30 for going into third year. I just got a 599 gtb today without getting rid of my Cali. Additionally I wouldn't trade my cali30 with two Cali t's. I hope I made myself clear!!

18. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Great feedback and insight. Yeah I would assume the California is more comparable to my Bentley Continental GT and the 458 is more comparable to my previous Lamborghini Gallardo in terms of actual driving, comfort and practicality. Right now I'm looking for a more practical every day car which is why all signs point to the California. Eventually I'll want another "toy" to just take out on occasions which I feel the 458 is probably better suited for and more of an "event" or "experience" each time like the Lamborghini was.

19. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    I wouldn't put the Bentley Continental and the California (especially the T) in the same box. Yes they are both GT cars but that's where any similarities end. The handling of the T is leagues ahead of the continental. Still a daily driver but if you want to drive it hard and fast if will respond very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes I agree. I just meant the California is more along the lines of the Bentley in terms of every day driving and practicality while the 458 is more of an event and sports car like the Lamborghini.

21. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

Spot on. I've driven my Cal T all week around London and have also brought it down to the south of France and back via the Alps. It's a great all round driving car. You can relax, stick it in auto and comfort and let it do the driving, or drive it hard and have fun,

Great car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If anyone is selling their California privately shoot me a PM with the details. Maybe we can make a deal. Thanks.

23. augiaudio

augiaudio Rookie

Nov 16, 2015
    Traded my Bentley for the California. Best decision ever! When driven smoothly its 90% as comfy as the Bentley and when driven hard 90% as sporty as my Lambo. The perfect daily driver.

24. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I was considering a California, went and looked at this one local to me.

2011 Ferrari California San Diego, California | Jake's Motorcars

I am normally not a fan of wraps or aftermarket wheels but this one just seemed *so right*. To be honest, it looks even better in person and has a fair asking price. The salesperson told me that it was Antonio Gates' car if that's important to you (might be some PED stashed inside...lol). I decided to go a different direction and not get a Cali.

25. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #25 ScottS, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    I mean -to buy you have to love those wheels. The value is not helped by either. And in a buyer's market, the seller is asking for full retail on the wrap.

To the right person, the wrap and the wheels will bring value. I don't think a late 11 with 13K miles, no Magneride, AFS without CPO or maintenance is well priced at 145K.