snap, crackle, pop. And, rumble. | FerrariChat

snap, crackle, pop. And, rumble.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Snewton94024, Nov 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I will not say it might be my imagination.
    My 2016 Cali at around 550 miles has a decidely different exhaust note.
    It is less tight, if that is the correct description.

With engine warm, sitting on the driveway upon slight revs to 3500+- the exhaust is positively nasty. Love it. The note is burbling, going to popping and snapping. Was not like that before 550 miles. Then it was more sedate and similar to comments about the turbos having mollified the sound. Now, upon driving at speed, the shifts have loud pops both up and down.

Anyone else experiencing this change?

Is Enzo back in the building?

2. LeoNewland

LeoNewland Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Leo Newland
    Could it be at least in part due to Manettino setting, that is, Comfort vs sport? Also, typically mufflers become somewhat louder as they 'mature.'

3. Snewton94024

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I always drive in Sport.
    Have not used the comfort setting.
    Seems like the back pressure has changed.

4. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    Just picked up my new Cali T and now have 500m (800km) on the clock and have noted exactly the same maturation of the exhaust notes.

I'm addicted to the crack when changing up at about 5600rpm. The rev range to get that crack seems very narrow 5500-5700rpm.

My concern - is this crack/pop bad for the exhaust or engine? With my limited knowledge of turbo engineering I can only assume the crack is due to unburned fuel in the exhaust. Will this cause back pressure issues?

5. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Steve, I also found definite improvement in sound quality over time. I'm at over 5,200 miles and it is the best sounding now so far.

I can play it like a musical instrument at this point.

:)

6. Snewton94024

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Thanks for sharing, Dave.
    This is a fantastic surprise for me.
    Having grown up in the 60’s with plenty of hot cars we could customize at will, we also learned how to make cut-outs in the the exhaust pipes a few feet from the manifolds in order to get that raw combustion engine sound. It was addictive. My last car was a 2011 Maserati Granturismo which had a wonderful raw sound to it. The new Cali sounded a bit tame at first but now we have graduated to the symphony level of engine sounds and I couldn't be happier.

7. NYKSwiss

NYKSwiss Karting

Jan 10, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Stephan
    Hi guys, mine has 800 km on the meter and I am looking forward to the sound. I have detected more crackles on upshift but lets see :) Is this confirmed as a rule that the engine gets 'noisier/better sound' once its a bit run in? Also, I noticed bit of a smell coming out yesterday when I demonstrated the 'crackle' to a friend. Nothing to worry about it? Think i hard up-shifted from 1st to 2nd gear.

8. dxbferrari

dxbferrari Rookie

Jul 23, 2013
    I'm at 1,100 km and have got the loud pops on upshift...but no pops on downshift as yet....
    will experiment more shortly....

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I have opened my exhaust from the beginning, only drive in Sport and get Pthathora of Gurgles, rifle shots and positively nasty sounds up and down on the shifting. I found the sound is continuing to improve and is just wonderful as Dave says Orchestra ! Love my car and feel for my needs it is the perfect DD. Would i love a 458 spider for weekends, sure but a. cannot afford it, and b. the question would be why?

10. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Try Sport mode and downshift at about 3,500 RPM from 3rd to 2nd, and 2nd to 1st, each while engine braking (do not let off the gas as you shift down). Then at about 3,000 RPM, in case 3,500 isn't doing it, and you will find a sweet spot with a nice pop at least 30% of the time...

:) :) :)

11. ctome3

ctome3 Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    Ridgefield, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom E
    30% of the time, it works every time!