California T Sounds System | FerrariChat

California T Sounds System

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by california-t, Nov 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. california-t

california-t Rookie

Nov 29, 2015
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicky
    Hey Guys,

I just bought myself a California T and love the car..

However Im not too impressed with the audio system.. I got a mercedes SL as well and the audio system in that is miles better than the Ferraris.

I got the optional HI-FI package (i think it was called).. But still its not too good.

This is my first Ferrari so I'm not too familiar with the cars.. Do you know where I can get an aftermarket audio system or is there companies that make audio systems for ferraris? I found JBL x Ferrari for the old california..

Thanks guys

2. ram77

ram77 Rookie

Jun 7, 2015
    Corona del Mar Ca.
    Full Name:
    Roger
    I'm not impressed with mine either , 2016 Cali T. I believe we are to enjoy the engine sounds first then the music. Wish they had bigger rear speakers too.
    Who cares, I love the car.

3. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had music play for 90 seconds when my brother-in-law wanted to hear it, right after I got my Cali T. Outside of that I have not had anything but glorious engine music for over 5,300 miles.

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Generally speaking, Ferrari sound systems are horrid. And that whole marketing hype about JBL Pro? Good grief. I don't even like actual JBL Pro sound systems used at concert venues. JBL is a shadow of what it used to be.

Anyways, moving on.

Read through this little thread, that will show you a bit of what you spend all that money on when you pay for the upgrades.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/california/261713-californias-audio-system.html
    Prepare to be "amazed"...

If you can find a good installer, various components can be made to fit. Dynaudio, Focal etc. makes nice speakers, and Brax, Arc Audio and Audison etc. makes nice amps. Remember to get a proper system controller, like an Audison Bit-One. Proper system control and adjustment is key to a good coherent system.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My 69 year old ears are quite happy with the T sound system, even after years of working around jet engines. I have the higher end system in my T. CarPlay is great too. The best sound system though comes from under the hood. I'd stay way away from aftermarket sound myself.

6. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Merc use what, B&O as the option in the SL? Completely different league than the plastic JBL crap. Wonder what happened with BOSE...

7. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    Well, in my 2010 California I got the upgraded system and I don't have any complaints. enough bass, volume and clarity.
    Are the complainers sure that their settings are right?
    after reading the other California Audio tread, I asked a friend of mine what he thought about my sound system compared to his in his new BMW with premium sound system and he thought it was performing very well also compared to his car.

so I am wondering if others have not tuned the settings of their system

8. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    The system may work "fine", but not for what you are paying - which is several thousand $ for what should be an impressive upgraded Hi-Fi. The hardware alone is not up to delivered what your money should get you.

9. jpcourt

jpcourt Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    All i can say about any sound system Ferrari offers is... Its functional. Not good at all.

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its horrible but Im not willing to spend the money to upgrade.

11. jerryw

jerryw Karting

May 18, 2009
    I think they just want you to hear the engine purr. I also ordered the Hi-Fi upgrade and it is not very good, I really miss the Naim I had in my Bentley.

12. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    Well with any car, car companies invest the least amount possible on the audio system and electronics. They are only design to last 3-5 years then they fail. Right when most cars are out of the standard warranty. Then the dealership will charge you an arm and a leg to repair or replace components. Service is where they make the big money.

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Factory car audio may sound like rubbish, most do - including msot of the so called high end systems. But what you describe audio system do, I have NEVER seen , EVER.

Chizz likes this.
  14. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    Ive seen many systems fail. usually the amplifier and speakers. With newer cars that have premium systems they always seem to need flashing by dealer for poor sound quality. I will admit source(head unit) units today a made better then in the past, but lack the same quality on the under powered amplifiers/DSP and cheap speakers.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Here's what I might suggest.

Look at the electronic specs of your head unit and then look around for some better speakers (with crossovers) which will fit into the spaces of the factory units.

It will be easy to do and retain the stock look.

16. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    Its my experience if it is not possible to change out the oem without losing many features then adding a quality DSP and aftermarket amps and speakers is best. I know Helix P-Six DSP with built-in Amplifier 6-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing 120 watts RMS x 6. Kills two birds with one stone for around $1,300.

17. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Any suggestions on which speakers will make a noticeable improvement?

18. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Dynaudio Esotec and Esoter2 series.
    Focal Utopia and K2 Power series.
    Arc Audio ARC and Black series.
    Audison Voce and Thesis series.

They are all pretty nice, but the Dynaudio Esotar2 series will blow most things out of the water - including the Focal Utopia series. It will most likely also be the more difficult to install. If this is the way you want to go, talk to your installer about how to go about it. But hey, that goes for the rest as well. Some are easier and more plug-and-play than others, but all have their challenges.

Best bang for the buck. The Dynaudio Esotec and Arc ARC series is hard to beat.

JL Audio and Morel are brands I just don't get the hype about, but that's my subjective opinion. I have listened to them and taken their products apart, and I don't think very highly about them.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #19 MalibuGuy, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    I agree with your suggestions.

Back in the day MB Quart made some nice stuff.

Perhaps go ask a good car audio shop for their opinion, 4 vs 8 ohm. Im not sure but I bet the factory is 4 ohm. Perhaps ask them to the install too.

20. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    Pretty much any quality aftermarket speakers will be a good improvement over stock. The most important thing is the heart of the system people over look DSP. A quality digital sound processor will give you the ability to stage your system for the best sound possible. Its what dials the speakers in for that great front and center stage concert sound. If you just spend tons of money into high-end brand equipment wont guarantee great sound quality without good installation and tuning setup. All equipment has an optimal operation range that it performs at its best. $400 set of speakers are going perform as well as $1,800 speaker set tune at 1/3 volume level. But as you raise the volume after say half, the cheaper speakers tend to fall off, or breakup(distortion) due to performing outside of there optimum level. That's where the higher end speakers starts to shine. As they are made of better materials, stronger structure and superior design. Which propels them ahead in sound quality performance and power handling then the cheaper option. A great install is as equally important how your system will perform. The correct or best possible placement of speakers are key. which helps turning the tuning process to go smoother. also when you have a dsp, you would throw out the need of passive crossovers as you can run your system active, by letting your dsp do all the filtering. which leave more usable power to help the speakers shine. Some major brands that sell there components only with passive only. which is to me a extra cost that's a waste( $300-$500) as they will not be needed with a dsp install. That money could be put to a better use on install cost and sound deadening.

21. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Indeed a very good point.

Most quality stuff is sold separately, not only in kits. But the thing here is, how many drivers the op wants to use, as in only the basic locations from the basic system or everything if it's the upgraded system. It is easy to go active with a small two way system and a 4 channel amp, but once things start to go beyond that, i.e, 6+ drivers 2-3 amps are usually needed depending on the setup, as there are not really any good 6 channel amps out there. Even if one chose to run the system passive, something like the Audison Bitone would still be a great addition - a must imo. The ability to eq the system with both parametric and graphic eq, not to mention the ability to feed the amp properly and avoid clipping, is worth it. But sure, in a simple two way system with no rear stage, a 4 channel amp and a processor capable of using variable X-over points with various slope types etc. time alignment and eq will clearly make for a superior system. A 2 or 3 way active front system is what I'd do depending on what the car allows, and then run the rears passive. Then, the front can be run full active with time alignment and the rear can still be used when having rear seat passengers in the car. The best sounding car systems, never use a rear stage so it's nice to be able to turn it off when there are nobody back there.

For small, light and affordable amps, the Arc MOTO and KAR series are great. Works well with speakers like the Dynaudio Esotec, Focal K2 and Arc ARC.

If pricing is in the middle, and price and size is less important than perfomance, the Focal FPS, Arc SE and Phoenix Gold Elite series are nice amps. Works well with most speakers, including high end speakers like the Dynaudio Esotar2 and Focal Utopia.

If price is no matter, and performance is of the highest importance, Brax MX or Audison Thesis amps. It won't make much sense to use these amps unless the rest of the components are of the same high quality, i.e, Dynaudio Esotar2 and Focal Utopia etc.

There are so many combinations. It all depends on how complex the system needs to be. But a good system processor like the Audison Bitone, is the heart of any great system.

At the end of the day, you can throw 20k after a system, but if system coherency and setup is not done properly, a properly setup 1k system will outperform it easily.

22. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    I dont do passive setup hardly ever now for any audio builds still all the new car you have to use some sort of DSP now since units cant be removed. Active processing all the way. So your point on 6ch amps out there. The Helix P-Six DSP/AMP is really nice piece. 120w x 6ch @ 4ohms 230w @ 2ohms. tweeters on ch A,B, 120w each. Mids on the ch C,D 120w each. Subwoofer on the E,F ch 230w each @2 ohms using a dual 2ohm sub( wired to each VC). Thats a killer powerful small foot print system 9.8" x7.4" x 1.7". ( sheet of paper in size) Plus a helix DSP built in 30 band eq per channel. Also if you need to do a 3 way active use the E,F channel for mid range then. Then output from rca outputs to a sub amplifier. those 2 channel out will also be processed bt the built in DSP. All for $1300 usd.
    HELIX P SIX DSP MK2

the next good 6 channel amp is the Arc audio XDI V2 1200.6 150W X 6CH. This amp you can bridge channels 5 +6 300w x 2 600w rms. small frontprint as well with high level inputs to hook directly to oem systems and has band pass filter on 4ch. they sell for $850 usd. these are my two go to amps even when using $2k and up speakers.

XDi 1200.6 | Arc Audio

23. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I don't have experience with the Helix you mention.

Does the DSP in the Helix have graphic eq, parametric eq and time alignment for each channel? Sounds like a good solution if the sound is good.

I wouldn't use the Arc XDI with Focal K2 or Utopia speakers. I think the highs get way too bright and harsh. But that's just my ears and my personal opinion. Generally speaking, I find Focal HF drivers to be on the bright and brittle side of things, so they need amps with a soft side to them.

24. ferrariman79

ferrariman79 Rookie

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    #24 ferrariman79, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    I've used the Arc XDi on speakers that are better then the Focal K2 Power components and they sounded pretty good. These are not the old XDi amps. These are the v2 totally redesign. these are as good as arc KS series if not better. Arc audio talking about redesigning the KS series now because everyone is using the XDi v2.

The Helix P-Six Amplifier has a Helix DSP 8-Channel built in. The DSP has 30 band EQ, PEQ with time alignment on all 8 channels. The sound is really good, hard to tell its class D. They are leaps above other class D like JL Audio HD 900/5 and Alpine PDX-V9
    many audiophile have tested this setup were shocked how well this amp/dsp combo performs.
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/customaudioman/Audio%20picture/Director-Front-Pers-display-on_zpsovx9c2ti.png
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/customaudioman/Audio%20picture/PC-Tool%20HELIX%20DSP%20BMW%20Midrange_zpswctdtkzh.png

25. OlivierT

OlivierT Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    I guess this may be controversial but I find investing in high end audio in this car a waste of money. As someone who has invested almost 6 digits worth in high end audio at home, I don't find my Cali an environment where I would do any critical listening. The sound floor decibels compete massively with whatever system is in the car and too me that's just an annoying distraction. I find that I always turn the system off and frankly get more enjoyment from listening to the engine audio. So for me anything that I might listen to in this car is more for distraction purposes than for critical listening. If this was a Rolls or Bentley then I get it, but I just don't get investing in a lot of audio that can't be truly appreciated. As many have said, the Italian symphony works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk