Any daily driver California drivers here? | FerrariChat

Any daily driver California drivers here?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by matthoops23, Dec 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matthoops23

matthoops23 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So new to the Ferrari family and (somewhat) impulsed into a 2010 California with 25k miles. I was daily driving a 2011 Porsche 4s, now I plan to regularly drive my California. Probably will put 8-10k miles per year on it...any suggestions or feedback on daily driving? Thanks for the advice!

2. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The Cali is a perfect daily driver. I had a 2010 that I put 25,000+ miles on in 1.5 years, traded to a '12 Cali which I sold with similar miles mid this year and now have a 2016 Cali T that I got in late August and now it has 4,800 miles. In addition I drive a FF with equal miles it seems. In NW Ohio we get snow so my T and FF both have Sottozero tires on them for the winter. The Cali is great in snow ONLY if you put Sottozeros on it! 1/4 inch of snow will take you out, so be careful if you see now with your summer tires.

All three were quite trouble free. I always kept the RPM below 3K until temperatures are up to normal, then drive the crap out of it. Front tires seem to last me about 15,000 miles, rears about 7,500 :D.

tdplastic likes this.
  3. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I drive my Cali T each day since I got it over a year ago. I now have 16k trouble free miles of smiles. Most of my driving is to and fro work, so for me it is a car I can envision for many years to come :) Great Daily Driver !

4. matthoops23

matthoops23 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks! Rick, I almost got an FF, how do you like? I was intrigued, but living in So Cal I opted for the convertible :) Love the idea of an FF somewhere down the road tho...

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I drive my 2010 almost daily. 22K miles. No issues except just replaced pads. The pads were not worn, but had hairline cracks causing squealing. New OEM pads fixed it. Don't was the card immediately after driving hard. The water on hot CCM pads can cause the cracks.

6. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've had mine for almost 10 months of DD. 5,400 or so miles, top down when ever remotely possible. I fill the trunk with dry cleaning, restaurant take away, groceries. A Maserati net in the trunk works great for keeping things from shifting during spirited drives home. It is my only car. My wife has an S Class that we use things that need more than 2 people comfortably. I look forward to every turn of the key and every rev...

:) :) :)

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I drive mine 3-4 days out of the week. 2500 miles in 6 months.

I just treat it like any other car.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Drove my 2010 Cali 65,000 miles over three years

9. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Which net do you have? Any specifics?

10. jerryw

jerryw Karting

May 18, 2009
    I have driven mine daily for four months, 3200 miles. All good until last week when a red light popped up with a computer control failure message. I am told it is a transmission issue, will update when I know more details and how long the repair will take.

11. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For current Maserati sedan trunk. My Ferrari Maserati dealer had it.

See a pic of it in the thread My 12 month California T Odyssey, reply #548.

Custom trunk floor mat also.

12. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Cool. Thanks!

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The FF and the California are the perfect pair! The FF is Ferrari's best kept secret, it is amazing. The four wheel drive system is scary good!!! At a stop sign, turning, stomp on it and feel the front end pull you around the corner. It is wonderful, and the best, including the V12 sound which is very intoxicating. However, there is only one problem, you can't put the top down. That is where the Cali T comes in! Here in NW Ohio I drive them both all year. I have snow tires for both. The Cali gets more use in the summer but both get regular driving. The FF gets more in the winter, and is a bit more comfortable for long drives but both are perfect.

14. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    Cali T is my DD no issues great car!..... Over 6k and counting.

15. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Methinks you should have a table of contents for this thread :)

16. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Pick up my car in January. I drive it every day to office etc. now is about 10800km(6700mi). I love it so much and give me no reason to not drive it everyday

17. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL

This begs the question of what does one do with an older high mileage model California when it's time to move on to another Fcar? There is a subset of people here that drive their Fcar as little as possible so as to maximize resale value, but I (and I suspect most California owners) don't fall into that camp. I don't see a lot of high mileage Californias out there. Trade it in at the dealer? Sell it on eBay? Will it to the kids? My 2010 only has 12k on it and I've put 3k blissful miles of daily driving in the 6 months since acquiring it, but I'm curious about what others are planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    12K Miles! Holy Cow thats high for an F car.... Give it away and write off the loss on your taxes! :)

19. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Maybe I should torch it and go for the insurance? After all it has been six months and the 458 Spyder and California T are head turners. Ha!

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    We have dozens of clients who daily drive their Cali / Cali T ( now ) with no problems, even in the rain!

Enjoy!!!!

S

21. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have put 4000 miles on the 430 in a year and a half, and Love it. Its a keeper, but I find myself lurking the Cali site more and more. Looking for a replacement for our 09 Mercedes Vert for a more suitable DD.

22. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Wow! That's a daily driver.

23. matthoops23

matthoops23 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am anticipating putting on a 2010 Cali that I bought with 23,000 just a month ago, probably about 10-12k miles a year for the next few years...hence I will have a Cali with 50+k miles in a few years. Anyone want to guess the value? Hard to find FCars in the sub $100k arena...?

24. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I just got a 2010 California two months ago. It is my only car. I had a 308 for about 5 years. Drove it every weekend. I always wanted to have a Ferrari as my daily driver. The California is that car. I don't think there is any other brand that offers such a fantastic experience every time you start it up. Why drive anything else? I arrive at work every day with a huge smile on my face, and return home in the same condition.

25. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It depends. When I was looking, it seemed the high mileage 2010 Cali's were discounted but not as much as I would have imagined. 40k mile highly optioned red examples were 120- 110s and less optioned examples ranged down to 90k. One 50k mile car was 85 K and sold in one day. Right now a sampling of 40+k miles to 32 k miles were 120-135. Personally I think they are over priced for the market. Consider I had my choice of 2011 sub 10k highly optioned Black Cali's for 130-135.

It all depends on how and where you want to sell. Trade in at Fcar dealer and expect a steep discount on their offer, other dealer perhaps,less so, and private sale it depends on how fast you want to sell.