Finally received my 3rd photo | FerrariChat

Finally received my 3rd photo

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Winfield, Jan 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #1 Winfield, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I received my 1st photo of my car on production line last month at Dec. 21st, and 2nd last week, and finally get the last photo yesterday.

Can someone give me an idea about how long it'll take from now? I'm in Shanghai.

Here's the pic. The center caps of the rims are still missing on the pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    The last sentence below your picture on the Ferrari owners site is important. In a nutshell, the pictures and your delivery are not highly correlated. Your dealer can give you a good guess once the car gets on the water.

3. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congratulations. I think it may take a month as per my experience to Tokyo

4. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    Thank you for advice!

I've got a bad news yesterday: although the Ferrari Italy confirmed that my car does have CarPlay option, my dealer called me yesterday and said CarPlay may has NOT been installed on my car. They said they would confirm the situation on Monday (and I've sent another e-mail to Ferrari Customer Service, too), and if the news is true, I must make a choice between accepting this car without CarPlay, or waiting for another car built with the option, which means, maybe another 3 or 4 months to go.

5. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Just my opinion but CarPlay is a highly over rated option.
    If you have an iPhone and an attachment for your top left vent you have everything you need. Also, have seen some reports that CarPlay not delivered in China for anyone.
    Finally, I think Enzo would roll over in his grave if he knew someone rejected a new Ferrari for lacking CarPlay, not to mention making a very high percentage of owners wonder why you are buying a Ferrari in the first place.

6. pr0b

pr0b Rookie

Oct 18, 2015
    kinda true.
    on the other hand: if i buy a ~250k car.... ;)

7. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #7 Winfield, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

CarPlay has been delivered by other manufacturers such as Cadillac in China already. But yes, according to my dealer, if my car is equipped with CarPlay, it'll be the first Ferrari with CarPlay in China mainland.
    I won't reject a Ferrari for lacking CarPlay, but maybe I will reject a Ferrari because it's not the exact car I have ordered and been promised. When I buy a car at about 600k dollars without tax (yes it's at about 600k dollars here) I will hope the car is exactly the car I wanted.
    Also, CarPlay wasn't the key factor made me buy a Ferrari, but it was a reason made me choose a California T but not a 488. I love the extreme sporty of 488, and I love the elegance and comfort of California T. It was a very hard choice. And as a heavy Apple user, California T has CarPlay, and I do think it will make the infotainment system much more convenient to use, so finally I went for Cali T.
    If my dealer confirms that the car does not have CarPlay and gives me a chance to cancel it, I will either keep it or, if I choose to reject it, I won't wait for another Cali T with CarPlay as they said, I will ask them to order a 488 Spider instead or just buy a 488 GTB from their store. I will never, never wait for another couple of months for a California with CarPlay.

8. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    How come CarPlay cannot be added? It is not structural. I would be asking about their changing out the head unit. I wonder if they mentioned waiting for a new car just to get you to take that one.

9. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I think there are other threads on FChat which discuss reasons why CarPlay is not sold in China. I think the dealer for Winfield may have been hoping it could happen but did not tell him that. Also, his dealer could have learned early on that it would not be included. The 488 and Cali are such different cars I still cannot understand why CarPlay would trigger the decision. The folks on the 458/488 section would have a field day with this.

10. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

In fact I had the similar experience. I ordered mine with rear parking camera but when It arrived, dealer told me that the rear parking camera was not installed. They refunded me the rear parking camera but of course, I was a bit unhappy that how come Ferrari can build a great car cost over USD400000 but missed a single option.

Somehow, the carplay can be installed after as well as the parking camera, thus I had my dealer to install the carplay and parking camera both front and rear last summer.

I think you can get the car first and have the carplay refunded at this time, ask your dealer (contact Italy Ferrari customer service direct as well) that you request for a carplay installation after. Italy Ferrari will send an other complete carplay information unit to your dealer so that they can replace/install and followed by a software updated. I did the same and carplay function operates like a charm, no problem at all.

Trust me, this carplay unit with California T is a perfect match when you drive your car specially with your top opened.

Fred

11. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #11 Winfield, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Thank you for advice.

I've got a reply from Ferrari Italy, and they confirmed that now the car isn't equipped with CarPlay while they've confirmed that it did have the option last month. As they told me, the CarPlay is firstly included in my order and 'lately removed', and neither Ferrari Italy nor my dealer could give me an explanation why the option was 'removed' without communication with me, which makes this situation, in my opinion, unacceptable as a 600k dollars car. I'm definitely unhappy with this because I tried so hard to add this option to my order, and have confirmed it several times with my dealer and Ferrari Italy. Every time, they were sure that my car did have this function. And they only told me it was 'removed' without any communication or explanation after the car has been delivered.

What makes it worse is, either my dealer or Ferrari Custom Care from Italy told me that it would be impossible to install the CarPlay system in after market. I don't know why because you had it successfully installed on your car. So would you mind me replying them mentioning your case and ask them to double check the situation?

Thank you very much.

12. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

Totally understand your frustration
    No problem at all, you can mention me that I've successfully installed the CarPlay system after. My dealer here is Cornes Motor at Tokyo

Get them to have the CarPlay install

Fred

13. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    I really, really appreciate you for all your help!
    I'll ask them to double check this situation and get these things done. I'll give you an update then.
    Thank you very, very much, again.

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Congrats on the car, looks great (and like mine haha). FYI CarPlay is now available on the 488 and F12. So a touch screen is NOT a prerequisite like we once thought (obviously functionality is slightly different on non-touch screens).