Ferrari California Used | FerrariChat

Ferrari California Used

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by devendert, Feb 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. devendert

devendert Rookie

Sep 17, 2015
    Hi Everyone,

I am shopping for a Used California 2012/2013. Could you please suggest me how much percent/dollars I can negotiate with a Ferrari Dealer?

Can I negotiate between 10 to 15%? I hope this is not an inappropriate question.

This is my first Ferrari and have been a Porsche driver all along.

I appreciate your response.

Thanks
    Dev

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi,

In Europe for instance, the biggest market for used left hand drive ferraris is Germany. I've searched for a California with low mileage (less than 20.000 Km) dated between 2010 to 2013 and made a short list of seven cars in Germany. Afterwards I trie to negotiate the price and the maximum discount I achieved was 9%. What I found out was that the black color cars are more expensive, may be they sell better, the red ones sell for less money and the biggest discount received was on a blue one. Mileage as well as age I'm convinced will influence very much the potential discount and for instance on a 2012 with 50.000 Km or more I believe sellers will make a bigger discount.
    In the USA market because there is a much larger number of second hand cars available than in Europe a discount of 15% might not be inappropriate. Just tell the sellers you are interested in their cars and request what's the minimum price they'll sell for. You'll be amazed how they go after you.

Good luck.......

3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have been searching in US for the last 2 months. I have seen a few good deals, but you have to understand what the options are and what each is worth. Nothings wrong with expecting a good price.

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    Dev:
    your dealer will negotiate the price of a used cali, for sure.
    the answer to your question, however, is not so simple.
    if the dealer is selling a demo car for example, their willingness to negotiate the selling price will be less that that of a "traded in" vehicle.
    the reason is simple: in a traded vehicle, the previous owner is taking the hit on depreciation.
    generally, a dealer is not likely to sell a vehicle for less that their cost of purchase.
    the selling price of a used vehicle will also likely be influenced by the number of vehicles the dealer has in inventory for that model year and color combination.
    if the vehicle is unique and desirable, the selling price will be higher (supply and demand applies here!!)
    hope this helps, and happy shopping.
    btw, moving up to an f-car from a p-car is a very common transition.
    welcome to the family!

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have had several people say Ferrari' always sell for list price. I had two dealers offer me new Ferrari's under list. So I assume some people pay sticker and some pay under sticker when its new. You could look at the depreciation on a leased Ferrari. That would give you a good idea what the dealer thinks it should depreciate over 3 years.

There are a lot of cars on the market, don't get your heart set on one. You can make a low ball offer and see how the seller responds. It will give you and idea what the true value is of the other cars on the market.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There is a super '11 for sale at Ferrari of San Francisco. Nice options and equipment, and nicely priced at $129k.

7. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have not heard of anyone who ordered a car and did not pay list. If you are out there, please send me your negotiating secret. New cars sitting on the lot might be a different story. The OP is looking at 3-4 year old cars. Lots of negotiating room there with a private seller. I would be sure to get extended warranty or power cube, the repairs can be hideously expensive.

8. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    The new 2016 I'm talking about are on the dealers floor. If the car is on the dealers floor they will discount off of list.

If I look at a California T 2015. 1500 miles, list is $279K looks brand new. What is a good price?

$210, $225, $249?

I know I can by a new 2016 $251K for $231K.

I'm finding 50 2015 California T's in the US. Varity of prices and options.

I fell like it must have the magneride.

Not sure if its worth being concerned about $10K +/- but I like to know I'm paying a fair price.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It can be valuable to put a "wanted" post up here ... you never know who might own exactly the car you are looking for and who might be flirting with something else. I have a 2013 California 30 grigio/cuoio still under the original warranty that I might be tempted to part with as I have been thinking about a 458 lately.

Good luck in your search ... definitely pop for the Cali 30 (13-14) if you can afford it, it's worth the extra $$$ for the extra power and lower weight.

10. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I had been looking for a low mileage 2014 Cali which I found at a NE dealer with 5K miles and list was $189K. The dealer was located about 3 hours from where I lived so didn't want to waste the trip unless they were going to budge on the price so I said I would only consider driving up if I could get it for $175K.

Initially the salesperson said that we own the car for $188K so answer was No, I said no problem I'll keep looking around. A week later salesperson called offered me the car at $185K so I said I'll still pass on it. A week after that the sales manager called and said meet us 1/2 way at $180K, so I took a drive up there to check it out.

The car was filthy, not even washed and was badly beat up. It had 2 owners, which I knew since I checked carfax, but the leather was touched up in a way different color then it was supposed to be, seatbelt strap was ripped off the driver side and the front lip was scratched really badly as was the rest of the paint. So I said it needs paint correction, leather repair etc and offered $170K and went home. Next day they said we'll take $172K.

So bottom line, check out the car and start your negotiations from there. All photos on the internet look really pretty unless you physically inspect it.

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I'm looking for a Cali T 2015 or 2016. low miles 2K or less. Magneride, full elect seats, diamond cut rims, hifi, contrast stitching, carbon wheel.

12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S

Saw that one- it's nice-
    Someone explain the pricing of that one vs the one above at FofSF- The other 2011 same color combination has more miles, less options (listed) and is 148K. I did not check the carfax. The higher priced one is more consistent with Dealer pricing overall.....

To the OP-
    discounts are variable and could be negotiated but at Ferrari Dealers don't be put off by a rebuke. Just be polite and persistent or available as others have said- make the offer, make it real and wait. There is a lot of inventory out there.

GL

Scott

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

The dealer paid too much in trade for the higher priced one, and find they are stuck with a high price. The $129k one is priced at market (or certainly closer), and no stories.

14. devendert

devendert Rookie

Sep 17, 2015
  15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario

The 2013 looks to be in very good condition and the low mileage speaks by itself.The car has the inside exactly like mine in cuio 4609 (if my eyes don't mislead me), daytona style seats and the steering wheel matching. My favorite inside.
    The red color to be frank is not one of my favorites I find it too flashy. If you have the chance of getting a black one Nero Daytona with this inside in the same condition go for it..........more discrete and when you see it with the outside light the body shapes and reflexions in my opinion result much better than in the red color.
    My own is black Nero Daytona and after being washed and dried is an absolute beauty....

This is just an opinion I think you have to buy the car you fancy...............

16. devendert

devendert Rookie

Sep 17, 2015
    Thanks. I will start looking at other dealers also. I am also planning to get at least 1 year warranty to be safe

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If you are leaning toward the 30, try to buy one with the original factory warranty still in effect, there are still some 13s out there with time on the clock (mine expires in July). That way you can extend for 2 more years bumper to bumper which is far better than the extended New Power warranty Ferrari offers once the original warranty expires. It's also good for resale, I would think.

I think overall these are reliable cars but one weird problem with the top or gearbox and you could get a whopper of a bill.

18. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    ^ this is what I did I found a 2013 still in warranty and paid for two years of extra warranty, it was expensive but felt that the peace of mind was worth it, also didn't feel an extra $60k was necessary to get the same experience moving up to the California T right now

19. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I just bought a California T 2015. It still has two years left. Can I buy additional warranty? How?

20. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    I think you can take it in a few months before expiration and payfor inspection and the powercube

21. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Congratulations on the purchase! Was it in the last week or so? Post pictures! And tell us the how the negotiations went, please.

22. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Just bought the car Monday. I search multiple sites. I identify roughly 50 California T in the US. Found a couple in Canada. Started to identify various options, cost of options, sticker etc. I lost out on one car. Priced at $222K 60 miles. It was missing a couple options I wanted. I had nice car offered at $220K really nice. 700 miles. I made an offer on a car $210K. They countered with $227. Too high. I made another offer for $210K and they accepted. This car had some addition fees so it was truly $216.

Blu TDB, Diamond cut rims, carbon driver zone, carbon inserts, premium hifi, charcoal seats, contrast stitching, aluminum foot rests, Apple Play, folding rear seats, magnaride, leather seat backs, color upper on doors, and back seat, 1500 miles. Of course yellow shield and house on seats.

I feel its a good/fair price. It's my first Ferrari. Super excited. I have always said if I sell my company I'm buying a Ferrari. I followed through with my dream.

I appreciate all the advice, comments and feedback from the members here at FerrariChat. I'm confident I will have more questions over the coming months. Big question... Should I wrap the car in xpel?

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    You can definitely by an additional year or two. Talk to a dealer or a few to get the best price!

24. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Are you buying through an authorized Ferrrari dealer? If so your car most likely would be eligible for a 1 or 2 year ferrari backed bumper to bumper warranty. You should ask your sales person about what options are offered. Ferrari also offer a more basic 1 year warranty that covers most of the important mechanical parts but it is not as comprehensive as the other warranty I mentioned above but is cheaper. Normally that is offered on cars that are not currently under the original warranty. If you are buying the car outside of the Ferrari network I don't believe you have the option of purchasing a Ferrari extended warranty for a car that was last sold through a non authorized Ferrari dealer.

25. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If the car is still under the original factory warranty (or within 30 days of it expiring) you can purchase from the dealer either a one-year extension of the bumper to bumper warranty, or a two-year extension. It's either one or two, you can't extend for a year and then go back and re-extend for another year.

The cost is around $9400 for the two year if you get a 10 percent discount for joining the Ferrari Club of America (well worth it). I think the one-year extension is around $5800.

Once the factory warranty has been expired for 30 days, you can only buy the New Power warranty, which is renewable annually. It's around $4800, I believe, and requires an inspection, but it does not cover every component on the car and there is a disclaimer that it does not cover "seals or leaks" which is a pretty big out on some expensive components. Also, there are things that can fail that it doesn't cover at all ... my service advisor mentioned a power seat motor on a 458 which failed and was not covered under the New Power warranty and cost a lot to repair.

So that bumper-to-bumper warranty is like gold, in my view. Or you can invest the $10k and see if you need it or how much gets spent at the end of the 2 years if you're the gambling type.

Congrats on the T.