Service expectations for Newbie | FerrariChat

Service expectations for Newbie

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dixonator810, Mar 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dixonator810

Dixonator810 Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    KC
    Hello All,
    Thanks in advance for the answers and support.

I mlooking at getting a california 2010-2014 and I live in Kansas City where we dont have authorized ferrari dealers. What kind of service needs should I expect? Do I need to do an annual? are there basic services I can do myself, Oil, fluids, etc?

I dont want to always be shipping to Denver for Maintenace unless I need to.

Also the mileage limits I see are usually right before 10K Miles, 15 or 20K? Are these major service intervals like on an aircraft?

Thanks for the info!

2. Skippy

Skippy Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Get one that has the 7 years of scheduled maintenance included. I think they introduced that in 2012 on the California's in the US. Then you only have to make an annual trip to Denver for a service and it's fully covered, sans the speeding tickets on the 600+ mile road trip.

The standard annual service costs are about $1200 on the odd years and $2200 on the even years. It takes all day. I believe they swap all of the fluids on the even years and only oils on the odd years, plus a full inspection of everything, software updates, etc. 7 year maintenance: general maintenance for first seven years of the car's life

I put on about 8k a year and they still only did the service annually.

I hope that helps.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    As Skippy suggested, cars with 7 years free maintenance have an advantage. In Canada, the dealer will also include free flatbed pickup and return for the first 3 years. I imagine that would also apply in the US, so a 2014 car will currently save you at least one year's cost of shipping the car, if you are so inclined. You may also want to ask the dealer about the cost of flatbed service as it isn't expensive if you add cost of hotel, gas, additional mileage depreciation and waste of your time if you have to make a long boring drive to the dealer every year.

Having owned BMWs for over 35 years I really appreciated the benefits of rigorous dealer maintenance programmes. Unlike the mainly mechanical issues of the older cars, today's Fcars, like BMWs, are highly dependent on proper computer software and electrical expertise, on top of mechanical prowess from service staff. I would not rely on fully DIY-servicing today's Fcars. You might do the brake pads if you know how to bed CCM brakes or replace a dead battery yourself but if you try to skip the annual service, you may well affect the resale value of your car. IMO, it isn't worth it.

Since you're in KC and experience 4 seasons of weather, if your (eventual) car's annual maintenance due date falls into the 30 days prior to driving season, you won't lose any driving time with your baby, and that's really what it's all about when you buy an Fcar. You ultimately want to enjoy driving the car. Anything that reduces that purpose would waste the money you put into its purchase and depreciation.

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    First, Welcome to the family! (In Advance )

We have several ( 20+ ) clients in Kansas City who we see their cars on a annual basis.

Some drive down for a weekend in Dallas. Some transport their cars with a transporter.
    Some even get together and set up rotating transportation and split the costs.

FNA does not pay for it. And since there is just shy of $200 of profit in an annual service , the Dealership does not have money to cover the cost either. I'm not sure what Canada does.

There are several other items checked during the annual visit, items are adjusted, updates and compaigns are confirmed, all during the annual service, so just changing the oil and calling it done, isn't really all there is to it.

It will not cover you in a warranty situation either. It's one of the first questions a Dealership is asked , if the car has been properly serviced.

It's worth it to establish a realationship with a Dealership... I've seen it work both ways.

Anyways, you are talking about a Ferrari , just plan on making a trip to Dallas once a year, enjoy the drive back and forth, enjoy the weekend out of town, enjoy dinner at one of the many fantastic spots DFW has to offer, oh and get the Ferrari serviced.

I will help earn your business and make it worth while to do it correctly!

Let me know how we may help.

Steve

E-mail:
    [email protected]

5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    NOW: IF you have a warranty concern that makes the car unsafe to drive, roadside assistance WILL pay to have your car delivered to Dallas and returned to you once the car is repaired.

Just Sayin'

S

6. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Denver and Dallas are both about 8 hours from you. I have worked with Boardwalk and they are really good. Plus on I-35, once you see two state police cars within 45 min of each other, you can go as fast as you want. Their staffing budget is so low, that's all there will be.

7. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Or how about Continental AutoSports in Hinsdale, IL (near Chicago, right around 500 miles from KC)? They're an authorized dealer, and a bit closer than either Denver or Dallas. No matter which you choose, I suggest you have the car transported both ways rather than drive it over 1,000 miles round trip just to have it serviced.

9. 2HotShoes

2HotShoes Karting

Sep 2, 2015
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Tal & Beryl
    +1 on Continental AutoSports outside Chicago. Your mileage may vary but we have found them consistently awesome and this includes the older models such as our 550, Guido.

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My '12 did have the 7 year maintenance plan (I now have a '16 T). My first Cali was a 10 and didn't have it but I drove the crap out of it. Every 12,500 miles or annually whichever comes first you need service. First was $750, second was $700. Some services cost more, oh well you are buying a Ferrari. I only drive 2.25 hours to my dealer so I leave at 5:45 in the morning to drive there for a service at 8 AM.

Whatever you do, develop a good relationship with a dealer and a mechanic. With that they are quick to offer help and advice.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    ^^^^

Though, I will mention that the Maserati tool and Ferrari tool do not cross over.

And, without mentioning names will say that I had a California owner try and take his car to a local " Ferrari Shop " who attempted the fluid service, only to mix up fluids, swap correct fill locations, as well as levels ( the shop did not have the correct equipment ) and the client ended up paying to replace the DCT transmission.

Just be careful is all I ask. Talk with the FCA members and get good advise.

S

13. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Can you explain roadside assistance. It's part of the warranty? Where is the phone number posted?

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Sorry for the delay:

The Ferrari Roadside Assistance service is offered by Ferrari to clients wishing to enjoy their Ferrari in complete confidence with peace of mind, regardless of where they choose to venture. The service can be used 24 hours a day, 365 days a year during the new car's warranty and during the extended warranty.

Ferrari owners have road assistance available in case their car is immobilized, due to one of the following reasons:

•Breakdown
    •Accident
    •Partial or Attempted Theft
    •Flat Tire
    •Lack of Fuel
    •Dead Battery
    •Loss and/or Broken Keys or Re-Found After Theft

Thanks to this service, the client can request a road assistance car, which can tow their vehicle to the closest authorized Ferrari dealer, or carry out small emergency repairs in the following cases:

•Filling up Tank, Lubricants, Cooling Liquid
    •Flat Tire Repair
    •Jump Start in Case of Dead Battery

Ferrari Roadside Assistance
    1-866-788-6760

The Ferrari Roadside Assistance Program is Now Available for ALL Out-of-Warranty Vehicles. Download the app on I-Tunes and get the first year free. Update your information each year to continue the free service!

LMK if this helped or if you have more questions, I am happy to help!

Steve

15. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Thanks.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- No doubt it is preferable to have a newer Ferrari dealer serviced.

17. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank you sir, I tend to agree, but I'm biased :-D

The equipment required to work on the news Ferrari is so expensive, I don't know how it will ever be worked around. 360/F430 maybe, but 458-California-FF-F12 and so on, I don't see it. Not to mention the constant software updates and improvements being offered only through the Dealership network.

7 Year service package
    12 years of total possible Ferrari backed warranty
    FREE roadside assistance year over year

Older cars as well, that is assuming Dealership:

1. Staff is properly trained and up to date (Ferrari has been offering older model re-training)
    2. Has experience working with said model(s)
    3. Has the proper equipment - tools - when required
    4. Is willing to work with client and utilize non-OEM parts at client request**
    5. Wants to

I am sure there are other reasons I could add, but you get the idea.

I know for a fact that there are no Texas Independant shops that charge a lower labor rate that we do or that charges less for OEM parts that we do. ( FCA and Ferrari Chat members get discounted labor and discounted parts pricing )

So , other than requesting a short cut ( cutting a hole in the firewall for access ) or lesser repair/service ( Oil Change + Brake Flush and calling it an " annual service" ), we are apples to apples the best option around. Quality of work, available appointments, timely turn around time on repairs, best Parts and Labor warranty, client events, FCA support,etc...

Disclaimer:
    There ARE several quality - experienced - well respected shops in Texas, that we have a good working relationship with. That we work with when they need help or when we need help. That is another fantastic benefit of being a Ferrari owner in Texas - Options, several of them too.

** Client accepting full responsibility for failures caused by the aftermarket part requested to be installed. I still offer 2+ year warranty on labor - even if the aftermarket part fails , on most items!

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Great info. If I might inquire, how much is Roadside Assistance after the first year?
    T

19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    As long as your update your information, it continues to be free!

S