New California T paint peeled off with PPF | FerrariChat

New California T paint peeled off with PPF

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Winfield, Mar 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #1 Winfield, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What's up FerrariChat.

My new California T 2016 has arrived this week. And I've sent it to a wrap installer which is recommended by my dealer SA as soon as I got it. But I've found the PPF wrap they've installed didn't work well so I ask them to remove and re-install it.

And here's the sad thing:
    When they removed the wrap, the paint of the car has been peeled off a little as well.

Does anyone have similar experience like this? I mean, this is a whole NEW car from Italy, which should be manufactured 2 months ago and sent directly from factory to my dealer. But the paint seems to be as weak as a used car which has been re-painted in a repair shop somewhere. Since I'm a first-time Ferrari buyer, I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    With a new car it's usually better to purchase the wrap through the dealer. You do not want people pointing fingers at each other while you're in the middle. The dealer would have a lot more leverage over the wrap installer than you would. They also have much more experience with the results of wrappings.

Today's eco-friendlier water-based paints are very soft compared to lead-based paints from 30 years ago. I think they're all crappy in that regard - everyone uses the same paints. That's one reason why car wraps are so popular nowadays. However, it's relatively easy to fix up the minor blemishes shown in your photo. Ask your SA politely to take care of it. BTW, what was wrong with the PPF wrap?

3. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #3 Winfield, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

Thank you for advice.

My dealer SA told me that they just started starting wrap installation service several months ago, and their technics aren't as well as other professional installers. Also she told me there was once a customer got his PPF wrap installed at their place, but he was not quite satisfied with their work. So she recommended me that installer, at which several customers of her actually got their PPF wrap installed. And they were very satisfied with that installer.

To be honest, I was not very clear about PPF at that time. But my SA promised that they use the same wrap of which the dealer use. So I chose to believe them, which was proved to be a mistake. But after I did some Google work that night (It was my fault that I haven't done it earlier), I've found that they didn't use the PPF wrap from the major manufacturers such as XPEL, Avery or 3M. Instead, they used a local brand which I've never heard and can hardly find any useful information or review on Internet. Although they claimed that it is made in the same factory of the major brands in the United States, and have the same even better performance than XPEL or Avery, I still insisted to remove it and use XPEL Ultimate. I've spent over 5000 dollars on it, at least I hope the wrap on my car should come from some manufacturers that have a proper official website on the Internet.

During the whole thing, my SA was there. And it turned out that the installer didn't use the same wrap of which the dealer use as she promised. (Actually the dealer uses the wrap of XPEL, Avery or CP.) it turned out that she had even less knowledge of wrap than I did. So she apologized to me, and said she will take responsibility to repair it in the SSS.

But I was worried about the quality of the paint of the whole car, since a wrap can destroy it like this. I've inquired some other installers through my friends, they told me it should be impossible to destroy the paint of a new car just by peeling off a PPF wrap, and the brand of the PPF doesn't really matter in this case. So which concerns me most is if it's a defective car.

If it's quite normal then I will just accept the solution my SA offered, and install the wrap at the dealer next time, no matter what happens.

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    A good installer will warn you to make sure that the paint is fully cured before the wrap is installed ... you should never take a car straight from a body shop and have a wrap or clear bra put on it because it will pull the paint off with it if it is removed.

Whether or not the paint on your new car was fully cured from the factory is hard to say -- they will tell you at least 60 days from when the car is painted, but it probably takes that long to get the car from Italy to here anyway.

It's also possible that they were not very careful removing the wrap and caused the problem.

It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but if it's just that small edge where the paint lifted it looks like it could be touched up and the fact that it's not a metallic paint will help conceal the touchup if it's carefully matched and applied by someone who knows what they are doing. Then the wrap on top of that should make it invisible.

Detailers are very careful using buffers around the edges of the car because the paint can be very thin there.

If, however, there are other spots, or they feel like they need to refinish (repaint) a panel, you will want to make sure that you document everything with photos to show there has been no collision damage, because if you go to trade or someone puts a paint meter on there, you don't want to have to try to explain that the car was painted for cosmetic reasons with no proof.

Really sorry to see that!

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It's possible that there was minor damage to the car during shipping. If so, the paint they used to fix it may not have been fully cured. Manufacturers are allowed some leeway to fix minor things that occur during shipment and still represent it as a new car. The dealer may not have a record of it (although I would think they should be able to track that down) as the fixes are done at the port of entry by FNA. Anyway, your dealer said they'd make it right and that is good.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My impressions from having spoken to sales people in car showrooms as well as wrap installers is that paint damage is always a risk when the wrap is removed. It's unfortunate that it happened to a new CaliT but I think the dealer will do an excellent job repairing the paint.

New cars often get damaged while in transit from the factory to the showroom, and it's not always just paint damage! Their owners almost always do not ever realize that.

Enjoy the car! ;)

7. Winfield

Winfield Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    #7 Winfield, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you for all your kind advices.

My dealer said it should be caused by the wrap installer, but anyway, they will repair it for me since it was my dealer SA who recommended the installer to me. I appreciate them very much.

And thanks to Vic for reminding me about keep proof.

I'll definitely enjoy the car I'm still very happy to join Ferrari family.:)
    Honestly the car is way more AWESOME than I've ever imagined!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    To answer your question: It's not unusual for paint to lift when removing any quality clear shield product. Alot has to do with HOW it's removed, warm weather, steamer, and chemicals help in the removal process and it cannot be rushed.

I have seen new cars, old cars, org paint, re-sprays, all have clear shield installed and/or removed ,with no rhyme or reason when the paint lifts.

It happens. It's good the Dealership is taking care of the simple paint repair for you.

S

p.s. Don't forget to have them disconnect your exhaust bypass valves before you pick it up! lol

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm guessing more of a problem with the installer than the paint.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Hard to tell the damage from your picture.

It looks to be a small area or areas like stone chip size and not a palm sized swath of paint that has come off leaving bare primer or metal.

Since your paint is new and not faded, it should be fairly easy to touch up and get a good color match.

Try not to sweat it too much . Enjoy the car!

Ps I never got films for fear of paint coming off when the film was removed. So I learned how to live with and fix stone chips instead.

I'm not sure about how long it takes to fully cure paint. I do think letting the car sit outside in dry warm sunny days for a few weeks is a good thing for the paint. Also I suspect metallic paints are more durable than non metallic due to the metal flakes.