Quick question about oil change for Ferrari California | FerrariChat

Quick question about oil change for Ferrari California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by echo2158, Mar 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. echo2158

echo2158 Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    I am looking for some advice. I have a 2010 California with about 13K miles. What is the recommended oil change frequency? I presume it isn't every 3K.

Also, I am several hours from the nearest Ferrari dealer so I am wondering if this is something that can be performed by someone else. I have seen many posts that suggest it doesn't need to be done by a Ferrari dealer.

I understand this is not something you just let any garage touch. I have a friend who owns a BMW dealership. He has done service on Astons, Maseratis, Bentley, but not Ferrari.

Any advice or special instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

2. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    Super easy on the california, it is not a dry sump system and straight forward just like on every other car.
    annual change is more than enough.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Do you still have the owners manual?

I would take a look about the suggested intervals both time 1year vs mileage 8-10,000k

The car has a large oil capacity so more frequent intervals probably don't have much benefit.

What type of oil do you propose to use?

And which oil filter?

I would recommend that you use the factory filter and factory recommended oil too. If you call they will tell you what is best for your Cali and your climate.

I think the best time to change is in spring.

Why? Winter tends to degrade oil

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trouble is, the oil change is not the only thing that needs to be done annually.

5. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Re: above, good point. There are air filters, other items that the dealership would address annually. Perhaps make an outing out of it - see if your Ferrari dealer offers a free loner (maybe a Maserati?), and do a tour around a different area for a morning or afternoon while your California is being serviced. Or play a round of golf at a local course. My dealer is closer, so its easier to make arrangements around, but for peace of mind (and the factory service record), I'd only get my California serviced at the dealer.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017