Apple CarPlay | FerrariChat

Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by kobe, Apr 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kobe

kobe Karting

Mar 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    Is this a software add plus a cable attachment for an iPhone or is it more complicated then that?

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It's a CarPlay specific USB port in the center compartment, plus a dedicated button on the head unit. There is behind the scenes software for the car plus software built in to iOS.

3. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    #3 Fly4Ree, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    CarPlay socket is right above the one being used. I think for '16 you can also access your phone through Bluetooth with CarPlay. It is almost $5k. If you drive your car (and use it) 500 times, it is only $10 per use!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    ^what is that relic :)

5. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The information unit is different. When I had my CarPlay installed as an after market accessory, I thought is was just an update and add a USB connector, but in fact, the replaced the whole information unit and the USB connector.

6. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sadly, if you have Gigs of music, it is the only Apple product with the storage capacity. If only this system were compatible with HD DAPs...yeah yeah the only music you need comes from the engine...

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Haha I completely understand. I made due now with my 128 iPhone 6S Plus and iTunes in the cloud. Takes an extra two seconds but I have all music from my library stream in via iCloud.

8. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My music streams from the cloud just behind my exhaust tips...

CCallaud likes this.
  9. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Hopefully it is a dust cloud not a smoke cloud.

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I've had a snow cloud behind my Cali ... drive her all year in NW Ohio. :D

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    True, but if you play that game, it cost $450 every time you drive the Ferrari California T.

I'm happy with Bluetooth for music, but is CarPlay better for Navigation, SMS?

12. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    SMS yes. Navigation is questionable.... Apple maps is not great. I think waze or google maps is better.

13. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Apple maps were not great a few years ago, but they have greatly improved. I find the navigation first rate. One nice additional function, I can navigate with no sound because I have an Apple Watch that when the voice would be prompting me about an upcoming turn, the watch actually vibrates differently for right or left upcoming turns. Yes, you can do that part without CarPlay, but with CarPlay you can glance at the large screen to view those tricky intersections...