Black nero non metallic Cali - paint care and maintenance | FerrariChat

Black nero non metallic Cali - paint care and maintenance

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MDEL, Apr 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Right now my 2010 Cali black nero non metallic is doing a complete paint correction and very soon I'll have it back in absolute top condition. I would like to exchange experiences with other owners of black ferraris, and eventually receive advice, on the best care and maintenance practices they can recommend for this specific and difficult color.

2. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    First, are you putting a ppf on the entire car? Are you topping the paint or ppf with some thing like a Quartz coating? And what about your plans for your wheels?

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Xpel ppf is going to be placed only on the front bumper and the head lights. All the paint will be topped with a Ultra Seal ceramic coating. The wheels were removed and are just being detailed.

4. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #4 JasTex, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recommend a product I've used for a non metallic black Maserati and is on my new Cali called 22ple. Your getting paint correction which is the perfect time to have it applied. It can be applied directly onto the paint and on top of the areas covered with clear wrap. 22ple also have a product for wheels and brake calipers. When it's cured the coating is about 8 times harder than the paint on your car. Lasts about 2 years. Rain just beads on the paintwork and it's super easy to clean.

When my car was parked in the garage for a couple of weeks it would pick up a layer of dust. Best way to clean it was to take for a drive and the dust would fly straight off. The paint almost looks wet. The coating also prevents swirls happening that you see in the paint in bright sunlight. Attached a picture of the reflection in my car after having the coating applied. Non metallic black is the toughest paint to maintain but with the right product it is much easier.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    22ple is a good product. Would suggest you consider having ppf on your hood also as it locks in the perfect paint, and will keep it from getting swirls from future waxing/washing. Also helps with the fine grit trucks throw up from the pavement.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for all the information on 22ple I'll talk with my detailer about it. The picture you enclosed of your car doesn't need any words because it speaks by itself, the reflexion is fantastic like the one we only see in a top class polished black grand piano.
    Removing the car dust safely without using any kind of liquid wipe just, by driving it, is what I would call paradise.......

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for reminding me of that because I didn't considered initially the need for having ppf on the wood...........

8. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    WOW! Jastex ,the DOI on that must be almost 100 !

9. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    That is an amazing photo.
    What a result!

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #10 MDEL, Apr 30, 2016
    My Cali was delivered today after a complete paint correction and exterior/interior detailing which took more than two weeks. I'm very happy with the result looks like brans new a great job. I share with you a photo while the Cali was still on lifter.

11. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Like new. They did a great job Mario !!! Happy Driving....

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you very much Jason. I saw today for the first time the pictures of your Cali T and I was impressed with the great beauty of this nero daytona. !!! Congratulations

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #13 MDEL, May 1, 2016
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #14 MDEL, May 6, 2016
    Another picture of my Cali where the nero color and reflexions are more perceptible. I know it's an almost impossible task to keep this color in absolute immaculate condition but I will try to do my best because I wash the cars myself.

Main recommendation received from a top detailer for basic maintenance:

- Never, Never, Never in any circumstances use any quick detailer liquid or similar on this color . Dusters are completely out of question as well because they always leave micro scratches.

Try to wash not too often and when washing:

- Wet car first very well spraying filtered water.

- Use the two buckets technic 1 bucket plain water with grid, 1 bucket proved shampoo (I always use SONAX) and apply in small areas using a top quality lambswool glove with horizontal movements and very little pressure.

- Wash completely by spraying filtered water.

- Dry with a garden leaves blower (in my case is a cordless). The finish were the blower wasn't able to remove water drops is done with a large size high quality microfibre cloth just applied on the surface and not rubbed.

For non nero ferrari owners all that might sound insane but in terms of basic caring and washing it's the closest that an amateur like me can get to the top professional detailers.
    Be aware of the fact that my country climate is not very rainy, I don't drive the car everyday and when I do is short distances. I also keep it always in a garage covered.

15. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's a great picture....love Nero. Done right it's stunning. Where you've had the Expel fitted it will be a bit easier to take care of.

16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you Jason..........I love Nero too, it looks fantastic when in top condition but as you know if not properly cared is a complete mess.

17. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Are these photo digital edited. The reflection looks the same in the door panel. And the tree reflection is really close.

18. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    Nicely done. Excellent finished result. Makes the lines jump out.
    However, photos 3&4 look photoedited for location. Same building reflection on the left side of the car in both pics, especially noticeable above left front wheel and towards left headlight. Also same tree reflection on bonnet (hood), but with extra building reflection front right in pic 3.
    Wheel positions are the same - cavallinos orientated in the same direction. View through rear window doesn't gel with horizon in 4.
    But hey, it's an absolutely beautiful car.

19. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    +1

20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    This photo was done exclusively for my own enjoyment and not for any kind of public photo contest with jury. If you're so interested to know I'll tell you how simply it was done. The background photo is a photo I took to my Cali on that lake but because was made with an iPhone the car reflexions didn't show at all. The photo of the car you actually see in the picture was taken in another location by my detailer with a better camera. Because I liked the first photo I superimposed the second. As simple as that....

21. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    What? The one by the building is the fake picture.

22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Cali on the picture by the lake is my car. As explained before the Cali original picture was put on top of the lake one and was taken in the same spot as the picture published here where you see the Cali in between the buildings and the trees. The picture published here of my Cali in between the buildings and the trees is totally original taken with an iPhone and was just retouched a little bit.

23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #23 MDEL, May 12, 2016
    After the showroom looking back to reality in very dark rainy day.......
    Because of the ceramic coating applied while driving in the rain the water droplets fly away.

After this picture was taken the car was dirty and muddy so I came back to reality......
    Afterwards I did a complete wash using my standard procedure and after drying the Cali with a cordless air blower the finish wasn't shining like before and show some tiny white spots. I than decided to try for the first time only on the wrapped areas one of your american products named "Chemical Guys Speed Wipe". I was very impressed with the result, easy to apply just by spraying in the surfaces, spread with a microfiber towel in horizontal movements and light pressure, and apart from removing any spots or residues the least I can say is that it gives a perfect finish with a fabulous shinning. I was so impressed with the result that despite of the fact that my detailer advised me not to use any liquid detail products on the paint I'm tempted to try it on the Cali's non wrapped paint areas.

I've heard of this Chemical Guys Speed Wipe liquid spray quite some time ago but I've never used it before because I have always been under the idea that anything you rub on you paint with a cloth can only cause swirls or scratches. According to the user's reviews I've read which are all extremely positive this product when properly used is extremely safe (no swirls or scratches) and everyone agrees that's excellent for removing light dust, spots, etc and giving a quick and great shinning finish in between washings.

I would appreciate any feed back from anyone familiar with the use of quick detailers.

24. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    I presume the white spots left behind after blow frying the car are due to chemicals or salts in the water. I know someone who washes his Ferarris with distilled water!!

25. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I always use water from a jet wash which in theory is well filtered. Distilled water for washing the car is like having a bath in Moet Chandon....................