Air vents | FerrariChat

Air vents

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I thought I understood the idiosyncratic nature of the vents in the California, but maybe not so much.

Fairly consistently, start the car and regardless of the position of the vent controller, there is no air coming out of the dash vents. If I turned the knob down to the floor vents and then back up to the dash vents, lo and behold, it would blow air out of the dash vents.

Today, however, no amount of fiddling, auto settings, vent settings, recycled air settings, temp settings, AC on or off settings, would make the AC blow out of the dash vents. And, for some reason, the fan would shut off on the second fan setting but come back on for 1 or 3. Anyone experienced this?

More and more the extended warranty is looking like a no-brainer.

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sadly that sounds like your next move... trip to the dealer.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It's going for its annual next week and to try to figure out why the alarm sets itself off when the car is locked unless I disable the motion sensor. Guessing it's a bad motion sensor .. lol

How does one "reset" the car's electronics again?

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, extended warranty is a no-brainer. These are very complex cars ... but even if you drive a Prius the extended warranty may be smart. Computers can quit anytime. I had a stupid new Cadillac at one time that shut down the engine. After a tow to the dealer, and a full week of troubleshooting they discovered the computer that controls the driver's seat position was sending a engine fail code once in a while.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    You reset the electronics by disconnecting the positive battery terminal. There is a quick release lever on that terminal. Reconnect it after a few seconds and see if things are back to normal.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The FF in the photo is my second, it started shutting the engine off at traffic lights and does NOT have stupid start stop. The Ferrari factory recommended a bunch of things and after a couple tries my Ferrari dealer mechanic decided to simply unplug both ECSs and plug them back in. It fixed it, no problems at all in six months.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks, Rick ... I love everything about how the car runs, drives, sounds ... it's these little electrical things that are frustrating.

A friend suggested trading it for a different Cali but I'm sure the same guy wired that one ; )

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, changing cars is not the right solution. Try the full reset. It does nothing to the computers except reset them. The only thing you need to reset is the date and time display, nothing else. Whenever I have a problem that shutting it off and opening a door does not fix I will then disconnect the battery. That has fixed a number of problems over the years. If it does not help then off to the dealer :).

9. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    My $0.02

Presuming the Cali HVAC is the same as F12, FF and 458's....

When you start the car, the HVAC is by default in "Auto" mode, including the air distribution. You have to take it out of Auto (i.e. change the fan, or air distribution) and then it will blow to your choice of vents and/or at a different speed. In Auto mode, it also seems slow to react, so at startup it seems a bit delayed. I've experienced what you describe about an hour ago.

As for the fan not blowing at position 2....hmm. That's NOT normal. The HVAC actually does have it's own ECU, a hard reset might work, the system will actually throw codes the dealer can read off the DEIS computer. Long shot, one the connectors or wires could be loose, etc.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks! That certainly explains why I typically had to adjust the airflow to get it to come back out of the dash vents. But not what happened today ... I tried everything, auto, no auto, turning it off, back on ... but I will try a reset and see what happens.

How long do you need to leave the terminal disconnected?