Trickle charger | FerrariChat

Trickle charger

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tdf14cali, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tdf14cali

tdf14cali Rookie

Apr 28, 2016
    I pulled the trigger and bought my first Ferrari a couple of weeks ago after being a 911 fan for years. My CPO '14 Cali came with the cover and trickle charger. I found the plug in trunk, but where/how do I run the cord out of the trunk to the wall outlet without crimping the cord or damaging the trunk rubber?

2. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    My Ferrari (bought used) had a CTEK charger. But it has a wiring harness. It looks like my Cali T has a adapter under the trunk lip. I need this type of adapter. Genuine Ferrari Battery Trickle Conditioner Charger Brand New | eBay

Does anyone have this type of charger under the back of the trunk? It's on the outside of the car, you can't see it unless you get down low and look up.

Or do I just wire up the harness that cam with the car?

I saw a video on ebay showing hooking up harness on F430.

How do I hook up on California T 2015?

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #3 greyboxer, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    OP: welcome - fairly sure when this question has been asked before the answer is look at the owners manual for how the wire is run and that thats fine

I think it says something like: run the connection cable underneath the luggage compartment lid in the outer/rear corner

2P - there's the prewired plug which has recently changed to the disc shown in your link and then there's the standard CTEK connectors - if you search on CTEK there's threads describing the various ends - it took years for someone to make an adaptor to the earlier plug so I suspect there is nothing yet from the standard CTEK to disc ie permitting use of a standard charger to the Ferrari wiring

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    So I need to purchase a Ferrari charger to use the disc.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just let the trunk lid down gently over the cord. You don't have to latch the trunk shut if you are not concerned about preventing people from accessing the inside of your trunk. You can also close the trunk over the cord if you prefer.

This question has been answered many times before so please search the threads next time before starting yet another thread on an old question.

6. Elmar

Elmar Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Germany
  7. tdf14cali

tdf14cali Rookie

Apr 28, 2016
    #7 tdf14cali, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks. I did search the threads and found the long discussion on this. Don't know if I'm a trunk closer, or leave it open person. Leaning towards closing it. Not bad for my first Ferrari, huh? Drives amazing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've done it both ways but I don't latch my trunk as the car is only stored in my garage. Glad to see you are enjoying your Cali30.

Have you tried braking to a stop from a good clip in higher gears while holding onto the downshift paddle? You can also selectively downshift from 2nd to 1st while braking the car with the engine at a higher rev.

9. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Exactly what I need. But I can't find it on their web site or anywhere in US.

10. tdf14cali

tdf14cali Rookie

Apr 28, 2016
    Ok so I took her for a ride then got home and plugged in the trickle charger about 3 hours ago. Have Amber light. Still charging. That's good but the charger is very warm to the touch. This is normal??

11. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    It's normal for it to be warm/hot on Amber until it goes green then should subside

12. tdf14cali

tdf14cali Rookie

Apr 28, 2016
    This morning it was still amber, but not nearly as hot. Hoping to see green when I get home! Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

13. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    I had to opt out from the Ferrari dispensed trickler charger due to it's small output. I went for a more powerful ctek unit with an adapter to fit in the California . Good luck

14. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    I had to opt out from the Ferrari dispensed trickler charger due it's small output. I went for a more powerful ctek unit with an adapter it fit in the California . Good luck

15. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi

I changed the original (poor) Ferrari Ctek charger to a Ctek MSX 5.0 and modified the Ferrari connection plug with the Ctek standard plug at the other end.

Daniel

16. tdf14cali

tdf14cali Rookie

Apr 28, 2016
    It went green the following day. Left it plugged in, trunk closed, ran the cord out of the trunk midway on the right side of the trunk where the insulation is recessed. No issues. Drove her this morning top down. What a dream. Seems like she cranked up faster and idle very smooth from the get go. Thanks for the input on the battery minder issue.

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Beautiful Cali! I close the trunk on my cord even though it is parked in a locked garage. You will find that the Cali easily lasts 3 weeks without a charger attached which only happens when the roads get snow and ice covered as my FF is all wheel drive. Both cars have snow tires so I actually drive the Cali in the winter too. You should find that with regular driving you really never need to use the charger unless you define regular driving as every Saturday to a car show an nothing else:).

If the charge starts to not last that long then you need a battery. The Cali is not too hard on batteries like the FF is.

18. tdf14cali

tdf14cali Rookie

Apr 28, 2016
    Here in South Florida we get to drive with soft sport tires year round. The Cali is my weekend driver. My DD is a '16 Grand Cherokee SRT, which has the same 485 HP as the Cali 30. But man that F car is so cool. After being a 911 guy for years, I do not miss my '15 9114S. Just hope the Cali is as reliable going forward.

19. DJV

DJV Rookie

Mar 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Domenic Valentine
    Same question...also have a 2014 Cali...how do you run the cord out of the trunk???

20. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I close the trunk on the cord. Haven’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ditto. I try to avoid having the cord be anywhere near the locking mechanism though. Up higher left or right, there's some felt-like material that's a tad softer. That's where I put the cord, and then I try not to slam the boot lid down, but just drop it gently with just enough force to catch and lock.
    T

22. DJV

DJV Rookie

Mar 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Domenic Valentine
    Ok...thanks

23. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    I just took delivery of my California, and the dealer told me to close the trunk on the battery charger cord, because the weatherstrip is thick enough that nothing is damaged.