What IS that whirring sound? | FerrariChat

What IS that whirring sound?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It was chilly this morning so I drove (for a change) with the top up, and noticed (again) that when you are on the gas (even touching it lightly while coasting in gear) you can hear some sort of whirring fan-like sound in the cabin. I've always wondered what that is. Anyone know?

2. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    You may be hearing the dual clutch transmission shifting. For example, if you are slowing down in 3rd gear the even half will be in 2nd, anticipating that you will continue to slow down. If you slightly touch the gas then the computer will upshift the even half to 4th thinking that you now are accelerating and will eventually shift to fourth. This happens in all the gears except 1st and 7th and is a fun thing to listen for. These cars are simply amazing.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Hey Rick ... don't think it's the DCT, I always drive in manual. Seems to be just touching the accelerator lightly and I hear it but not when I'm coasting off the gas. Maybe the direct ignition sparking away?

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I too always drive in manual. Just remember that when you are accelerating the DTC tries to have the next higher gear selected already in the other 'side' of the trannie. If you take your foot off the gas the DTC assumes you are slowing down so it takes the other side of the trannie to the next LOWER gear. This is all in anticipation of the next actual shift.

These cars are amazing and fun to learn about!

5. TSchell

TSchell Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    Lancaster, Pa
    Full Name:
    Tom Schell
    Are you sure it isn't the fuel pumps that you are hearing. My 2013 does it a lot when it is cold outside. My dealer said it just happens, then goes away. They said don't worry about it as it won't hurt anything. Is noisey enough to have a passenger ask whats that noise. Lasts maybe one to two minutes, but not every time.

6. Markjr

Markjr Rookie

Nov 21, 2010
    Aston - England
    I owned a Cali 30, the whirring sound was irritating - I always thought it was coming from the ventilation port on the dashboard and was to do with a noisy air circulation fan?

I take delivery of a Cali T next month - hope the sound has gone, could not hear anything when I drove the demo.

7. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Have heard it maybe twice in my CaliT. Haven't found it annoying though, just drop down a gear. Doesn't last long. Congrats on the pending delivery.