Review of the Official Ferrari Accessory - Clarion Infotainment System Upgrade | FerrariChat

Review of the Official Ferrari Accessory - Clarion Infotainment System Upgrade

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DoubleLow7, May 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    #1 DoubleLow7, May 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey all -- so I took the plunge and ordered the Clarion NX605 Infotainment System upgrade that is offered as an Ferrari OEM official accessory.

For this upgrade I ordered the following parts:
    Part no. 70003474 - Clarion NX605F Infotainment System/Kit (specified for Ferrari)
    Part no. 70003476 - Ferrari California Double Din Bezel
    Part no. 70003578 - GPS antenna adapter

The Infotainment System/Kit came with all of the plug-and-play wiring harness, mounting brackets for the double-din system directly into the California's dash, and the typical components when buying the package system directly from Clarion (connectors, cables, wire kits, etc.)

I had the install done locally at La Jolla Audio (shoutout to Scott) who has done many California's and has the install down to a science. Ferrari of San Diego uses them regularly and they took excellent care of my car during the 1.5 day install. In addition to the install of the unit, they also did a great job placing the connectors in the center console for the unit's powered USB and HDMI connectors which are used for Clarion's Smart Access program and added the upgraded external microphone near the map/reading lights.

On to the system... I believe the only thing that separates this unit itself as a Ferrari official upgrade is the cavallino on the splash screen upon start up. There are no other Ferrari branding logos like in the accessory catalog or features I've discovered, but I did notice the model number on the unit itself labeled NX605F which is different than all the other unit pictures I've seen online.

Overall the unit is a great official Ferrari accessory upgrade as it was plug-and-play with all the connectors it comes with into the OEM wiring harness. I was primarily looking for bluetooth audio streaming capability from my phone for my music, pandora and spotify. It does this great. The added features of Clarion's "Smart Access" is similar to Apple's Carplay but is far inferior as many 3rd-party apps no longer off support. In the end, the Clarion Smart Access wasn't worth all the additional cables to my phone, that virtually offered the same thing I wanted to do via bluetooth. The navigation feature on the unit looks plentiful, yet I'll probably still use Google Maps on my phone as it's quicker. I doubt I'll ever watch DVD's in my car, use a USB or mini-SD card to play music, or use the CD drive. I haven't setup the transfer of my Sirus radio subscription, but will report back on transfer process. The Clarion unit does make the OEM speakers sound 10x better with all the equalizer and audio features and I was able to get the sound much clearer and crisp vs. the OEM unit. I'm sure if I upgrade the speakers in the future, I'll get even better results.

Overall, it is a much needed upgrade from the crappy OEM unit. The quality of the black bezel to fit the double-din unit looks better than the "aluminum" color from the old unit and allows for any other double-din unit upgrades if I decide in the future. The steering wheel controls work with the unit on any mode, yet there is no display of any song data or information on the dash LCD screen.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably would look at other units (Alpine or Pioneer) that offered even more features. The unit doesn't do HDMI mirroring from my iPhone and I wish there was more 3rd-party app support outside that stupid Smart Access (though I haven't had time to really explore it). Where the real value of this upgrade, is the plug-and-play wiring harnesses and bezel, that makes it easy to retain most of the OEM radio functions.

I've attached some pictures of the unit, bezel, and functions in action. Let me know if you have any specific questions that I can help answer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I was thinking of doing same thanks for posting ... what was your all in cost ?

3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    You have only a few posts and everyone is on selling and promoting this stereo. You write the post like you just installed? This is an ad. Call it what it is. Oh, I personally never do business with someone that starts out by misleading me.

4. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Gorgeous looking unit. Thanks for the detail. I replaced the stock infotainment unit in my Cali with a Pioneer 8100NX. The splash screen, and the various other screens, are customizable so the installer added a variety of Ferrari logos. Android Auto plus CarPlay and rear camera support. The only thing missing is song info on the gauge panel but that is displayed at the bottom of the radio unit touchscreen. The 8100NX doesn't seem to have HD radio scan, although it does offer satellite radio scan, but other than that I'm happy as a clam with the upgrade. In my case I was able to reuse the original Ferrari bezel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Why would you want more features as in the Alpine and Pioneer units?

6. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    #6 DoubleLow7, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    @Wallsttrader - Overall costs was about $3k. I saved money by finding the system for about $1500 for the Unit, Bezel and GPS adapter. This is different than the $2500 I've seen posted for the package online.

@good2go - I don't know what the hell your problem is, but I'm not promoting the stereo, I'm just saying what I think of this system and that the OEM unit sucked for my needs. It was old, dated, wore badly, etc. I even mentioned that if I did this again, I would strongly consider something outside this unit for more features. I only have a few posts, cause I just bought my car a few freaking months ago. I see that dealers are selling this system, but show me someone who actually took the plunge (my words exact from another thread) and installed it. No one has, and that's why I'm sharing my experience. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144474438-post18.html

@Wavey38 - I looked at your other posts when I got my car and it was your setup that inspired me to look at this unit as an option. The CANBUS unit to make any aftermarket stereo work with the Cali was my biggest fear, so I thought it be easier to go with an Official Ferrari upgrade. The unit I have has HD radio scan and a bunch of other HD radio features, but I rarely use the radio. I don't have much customization on the splash screens and other features, and Auto Plus and CarPlay seem to be the industry standard, vs. the crappy Smart Access offered on this system.

@Snewton94024 - As mentioned, the Clarion system uses a Smart Access program which is thought to be like Apple CarPlay using 3rd party apps through your phone. However, it takes a bunch of cables for me (iPhone lighting HDMI adapter, HDMI, USB) and apps to work and doesn't offer anything I can't do on my phone directly. I think my solution would be to use one of the RCA/Composite AUX on the unit and do a converter to an HDMI input, so I can plug any accessory like a Google Chromecast of my iphone for screen mirroring.

7. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL

Glad my experience was helpful. Your new unit looks gorgeous and matches the color of your dash perfectly. Congratulations! I took another look and realized you made reuse of the same Ferrari silver bezel as did I so no loss. I'm sure you're loving it!

As for the negativity expressed by some people on this site, I prefer to ignore it and them. Anything more serves to recognize their existence and encourages them to post more negativity. Just sayin'. So many people on this site are promoting some service or product anyway what difference does it make So long as the content is informative I'm good with it.

8. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Thanks for the write-up bud! A few of our clients have taken the plunge as well and they have been more than pleased!

9. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Silicon Valley California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I read your post and saw you needed a GPS adaptor to install this radio. Does that part not come with the installation kit as I cant seem to find the part number (70003578) you quote anywhere.

10. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Wait, it doesn't do CarPlay? Is that the only unit from Ferrari? I was quoted $4k for the parts and $1k for labor but was under the impression it did CarPlay...

11. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    Alex@TAG - glad to hear there are others installing the unit. I wasn't able to find any other posts or local experience on the setup so I had to take a chance.

Cockney.mike - The GPS adapter converts the existing OEM GPS antenna in the car to work with the Clarion unit and did not come with the Ferrari package.I ordered the part from Ferrari of San Francisco and it lists Part No. 70003578 ADAPTOR FOR ANTENNA, $81.99.

SciFrog - Unfortunately this setup from Ferrari on the Clarion system does not have CarPlay. It has Clarion's Smart Access program which I don't like and don't use. It's supposed to be like CarPlay but is slow, lacks app support and required too many wires. I recommend looking at Clarion's website at the Owner's Manual for the NX605 and also Clarion's Smart Access webpage (which seems almost abandoned).

12. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Without CarPlay I don't see the point, just to get Bluetooth there are some adapter people like apparently...

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    How do the alpine and pioneer compare to the clarion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Wonder if any UK users have made the upgrade. The old satnav unit didn't allow you to enter full postcodes which was always a pain. Wonder if this new upgrade does allow you to do that.

15. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the response to the GPS question.

Does the Satellite (SiriusXM) radio work out of the box on the NX605F, or do I need an external Sirius satellite tuner.

From what I can see (and maybe I am wrong), the standard NX605 requires some sort of external device for the Sirius satellite radio to work (like a SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner)

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you use this in a OTO do you retain functionality of having GPS and radio info being displayed on the dash?

17. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    @SciFrog - As mentioned, CarPlay is something that I would prefer to have, but am living without. I used to use a Bluetooth adapter on the OEM ipod connector, but I would get errors and had inconsistency in it working properly. YMMV.

@ttforcefed - All I know as a comparison, is the difference in what I can see on YouTube. I won't have more feedback unless I get to see some units in person at a local stereo shop. Not sure what OTO is, but no GPS or radio info is shown on the TFT screen next to the tach.

@Cockney.mike - I was told that a special connector was required. If you look at the Installation/Owners Manual, it says a separate connector is required. My installer got the cord and I didn't see it as an option from Ferrari.

18. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I took the plunge and had this Clarion unit installed in my 2013 California. I purchased the radio and the Ferrari installation kit on EBay from an out of state Ferrari shop and had it installed by my local Ferrari dealer. I needed a few items that apparently were not in the installation kit. The GPS adaptor mentioned above, a GPS antenna adapter (70003242), some other item (called Factory California) with a serial number of 70003755 and a Sirius XM tuner.

I really like the unit. The sound with the equalizer is better with the stock speakers than the previous radio. I also like the maps which are clearer (at least to me) than the original unit. I played around it bit with the Smart Access, but I don't see it being much use to me. I use an IPhone 6 and have yet to see if WAZE is an app that I can use with Smart Access...some places say yes while others say no.

One problem that I don't really care for is that there is a lot of reflected glare on the screen that makes it hard to see. I have adjusted the screen brightness with little success. It is annoying. I am not sure if it is the angle of the screen that is the problem, but it really is quite pronounced. I am not really sure if there is a solution. Has anybody else experienced this screen glare ?

19. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mine is being installed as we speak...one quick question:

1. Do you still have the directions/caller id/radio/xm id in the left most display on your dashboard?

Nobody could answer that question prior to so I took the plunge anyway...

Thanks,
    Erik

20. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Yes with the top down. No with the top up. My Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX has an adjustable tilt which helps.

21. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    I don't, but don't miss it. I have a Pioneer AVIC8100NEX. Not sure if the radio doesn't support it, or if the bus settings/setup are wrong. Again, I don't miss it because all that information is on the radio display itself. I will ask when I take it in to the dealer for the annual service next week (if only out of curiosity).

22. 22 yards

22 yards Rookie

May 2, 2016
    Basel, Switzerland
    Just following up -- did you ask your dealer about getting the full dashboard display from your Pioneer unit?

23. broncoupe

broncoupe Rookie

Sep 13, 2016
    Bournemouth UK
    Full Name:
    michael B
    Hi would like to do this on an FF which has same media unit im told as California,
    do you know if the kit contained a Bezel because i would like to fit an Alpine unit
    thanks