Check Engine ECSF / S&S Failure | FerrariChat

Check Engine ECSF / S&S Failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Wallsttrader, May 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 Wallsttrader, May 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some advise please I have my 2011 Cali about 3 weeks I have only driven it a few times today i started it and got both these warning lights. I do not have the car on a tender the dealer ordered me one and i havent gotten it yet. I spoke to the dealer they said that its most likely caused by not having the battery fully charged they suggested I drive it a bit then see if it goes away. I drove it for 30 mins and 20 miles highway speeds, car seems fine. got home and they are still there. The dealer sugessted waiting till i get the tender and let it charge and drive if this weekend, if it doesnt go away they said they will come get it.

Has anyone else experenced issues that self heal with the tender ? or any other solutions other than sending to dealer

thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 4th_gear, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Just remember cars with the stop/start function cannot use standard lead acid starter batteries because they are not designed to be cycled that quickly and frequently. Standard batteries will die in a few weeks if they are used with stop/start. So your HELE car should have an AGM battery. This means the tender needs to have the "snowflake/AGM" charging mode... and unfortunately the standard Ferrari-labeled tender doesn't have this feature.

Make sure your dealer gets you a tender that has the "snowflake/AGM" charging mode. AGM batteries require a 14.7V instead of 14.3V charging voltage at "normal" ambient temperature. This CTEK 3300 shows a mode indicator with the snowflake and Optima red top spiralcell (AGM) battery symbols.

The snowflake mode sets the tender to deliver a higher voltage (14.7V) for charging regular lead acid starter batteries in winter ambient temperatures and this happens to be the same charging voltage that AGM batteries need to be charged at "normal" (77°F/25°C) ambient temperatures. Regular starter batteries charge at 14.3V at 77°F/25°C. To make 14.3V work for an AGM battery, ambient temperature needs to reach 104°F/40°C. If the charging voltage is too low the battery won't charge properly.

Try to monitor your battery's voltage with a multimeter. It's not the most accurate way to gauge the state of health of your battery but it should read at least 12.5V before you start charging it. It should read around 12.7V after a good hard drive. If your battery reads lower than 12.5V it is heavily discharged and can take a long time to recharge. Some chargers cannot recharge a deeply discharged battery. More expensive chargers can recondition deeply discharged batteries.

Remember to TURN OFF HELE before you drive if you are trying to charge up your battery by driving the car. No sense draining your battery with constant stop/start if the battery is already low on charge. ;)

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Great advice above.

You are probably aware but when you turn the key on it's important to allow the car to complete the initial check cycle before you hit the start engine button. The 5 little bars will illuminate on the screen and when they disappear it's time to hit the button. (If you have the lights in auto mode it's hard to see the bars because you get that dimming setting on the screen that blocks it, or at least, I do.) Takes 5 seconds or so.

Hitting the start button too early will cause all kinds of weird errors to pop up that will go away if you shut down and restart the car properly. I've seen mannetino failure, engine control failure, brake failure, etc.

4. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    thank you guys

5. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Thanks for that explanation, my car is not hele car but has an AGM battery and the F trickler was not strong enough to maintain the charge. Got the ctek 4.3 with the snowflake and all good

6. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well I got the tender from the dealer and plugged into the car for two days it showed as fully charged, i started the car the " Start Stop " light turned off but the " Engine control " didnot. I drove the car a bit hoping it would but it didnt, i cycled the key and restarted I guess its off to the dealer.
    Kinda bummed since only drove the car less than 40 miles since i got it and its already going info service

Any other advice?

7. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Have you tried a hard reset with the car, disconnect the battery for 20-30 minutes and reconnect.. Before you try , read a few treads on the protocol.

8. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    WOW JPA THANK YOU

I diconnected Batt waited reconnected started car all lights gone
    Check "OK"

Thanks for helping a new ferrari owner

9. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Glad to hear it!!! Enjoy your car

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #10 4th_gear, May 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Please be aware that the STOP/START function will no longer work after you disconnect power in a HELE car (.i.e. a battery reset) ... that is until the car sits without being plugged into a charger for at least 6 hours uninterrupted.

Since you have the honour of being perhaps the second HELE California owner to post on this forum I have attached Ferrari North America Tech Tips 13 for your benefit. Be sure to read and try to absorb the information. It will help you understand why HELE does not activate at times and give you peace of mind.

I wish Ferrari would have provided this information to every owner of a HELE Cali but perhaps they felt some owners may end up being more confused. Fortunately my dealer in Toronto felt differently in my case and one of their mechanics kindly provided tips to me for our mutual peace of mind.

I hope you'll enjoy your HELE Cali as much as I do.

11. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    very helpfull info thank you

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I disagree with the advice to wait a few seconds before starting. I've put over 50,000 miles total on three Cali's and always stick the key in, turn it on, and immediately hit the starter with daily driving, all year. Once every two or three months I might get the pile of warnings but then I shut it down, open the door (to reset the computers) then restart like always and it is always fixed. I let lots of people start my cars (love sharing them!) and once I noticed a guy turn the key on and since that didn't start it he turned it off then immediately back on. Then he hit the start button and all of the computers were very confused, putting the car in the limp home mode. All it took to clear that is shut it down, open the door, close the door, turn the key on and immediately hit start.

These cars do have computer problems once in a while where warning lights won't clear with turning it off and opening the door to shut down the computers. When that happens I then do the battery disconnect. 3/4 of the time that fixes it, the other 1/4 it needs a visit to the dealer and in 100,000 miles + total in the Cali's and a pair of FFs I think only twice has it needed the dealer visit to find out what is really wrong.

Drive her like you stole her. Modern Ferrari's are great fun and can take it. The only precaution I have is keeping the RPM below 3,000 until oil temp comes up near normal.

13. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Ditto. 12 months, 6,000 miles. Not a single issue. Turn the key, hit start, ready to go!

And good for you for sharing! Stone

14. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    My Cali is a HELE and I got both of the error messages up as well. Wish I have read this before taking the car to the dealer. Should have the car back shortly. Wonder what actually caused it