Ridiculous neurotic window tint question | FerrariChat

Ridiculous neurotic window tint question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by plstc, May 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plstc

plstc Karting

Nov 12, 2005
    Hello:
    I have been out of the ferrari game for about 10 years and finally have a new Cali T coming in Bianco Fuji. I am wondering how people feel about how dark to go on window tint on the F cars. I realize of course it is personal preference, but do people generally go light or dark on such a car. Want it to look great without looking like I am trying too hard.

Much appreciated.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Where do you live? Aesthetics aside, if you live in a hot climate, IMO it's a worthwhile investment.

Here in Texas, it is hot for a good portion of the year, so I opted for maximum legal tint all around on my 911S, and Huper Optik ceramic on the windshield. All coordinated through our local Ferrari dealer. I plan on doing the same to my Cali, but it's currently stored in a temperature controlled facility, so not a top priority at the moment. ...T

3. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    From what I have seen in forum posts, tinting is generally frowned upon. I think showcasing the interior enhances the drama of the overall Ferrari presentation. My car (360) came tinted all around and I am in the process of removing some of it.

As you say, it's all about personal preferences, but if you are concerned about the community reaction, I would go light rather than dark.

4. plstc

plstc Karting

Nov 12, 2005
    Im in Arizona
    I thought the lighter tint would look more elegant
    Thank you

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I think you'll enjoy the heat rejection benefits in AZ. I agree with a white car, you may not want to do it. Post pics of your Cali...T

6. ctome3

ctome3 Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    Ridgefield, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom E
    I personally went for zero tint. When the dealer asked if I wanted the windows tinted, my response was, "I don't expect to have the windows rolled up very often."

7. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    A good film, regardless of color will block out a high percentage of UV rays. Most tinted cars leave the windshield alone, but it accounts for a significant amount of sun and heat. Consider a clear film if your car did not come with the Ferrari heat reducing windshield option. "Dark tans are wrinkles in the larva stage." Don't know who said it, but I like it.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I put Huper Optik on my Porsche. Just checked my Monroney sticker, my Cali came with "Heat Insulating Windscreen". 😎 Love this forum!
    T

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I see you're in Washington State. That is less of an option in Texas. And Arizona, I presume. We are more likely to have the top down in winter than in summer, especially if I'm driving with the queen (wife), queen mother (MIL), or princess (see below).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    T

10. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Your dog is paying very close attention. Love it.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. She's a sweetie. She's making sure I turn the A.C. to max flux capacitance! ;)
    T

12. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL

Hey TOMC - I see you have an adorable pet. How do you prevent her claws from damaging the upholstery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I have a couple of large blankets and towels that I place in the back seat area. She's also wearing a harness, for safety, which keeps her from moving around too much in the car...T

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I went with the lightest ceramic tint possible... Wanted to keep the heat out but still showcase the interior. Just my two cents.

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Filtering out visible light is different from filtering out thermal radiation. You should be able to keep out the heat without having to apply a dark tint.

The dark tint approach is a very old and outdated idea. You should ask the people supplying the tint films if the have the Light-to-Solar-Gain (LSG) ratio values for their films for you to compare or can calculate them from their Visible Transmittance (VT) and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) values (LSG = VT/SHGC). Higher LSG values are better. You can have a lightly-tinted window that keeps out the heat better than a dark-tinted window. Most of the thermal radiation from sunlight is not visible.

Have a look at this 3M’s Window Films Block Heat and UV Rays Without Dark Tint . Sorry for the 3M promo verbiage but it is from Motortrend and it does explain the concept well.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I'm a science nerd, and that's just plain sexy tech talk. 😃 I went max legal tint on Porsche because I thought it complemented the black wheels...T

17. plstc

plstc Karting

Nov 12, 2005
    Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'm not so neurotic after all...
    I'm thinking about wrapping the pillars and roof black so I'll have to figure out which looks best. I like the lighter tint. I'll post photos.